Author Topic: Body color under the hood - Cyclone 69-71?  (Read 3273 times)

Offline Keith Stem

Body color under the hood - Cyclone 69-71?
« on: June 09, 2024, 06:41:52 PM »
I was a local car show this past weekend and saw something that I thought I would ask here since there is a wealth of knowledge among this group. This is not a Mustang question. I found this on four different unrestored 69 to 71 Mercury Cyclones. I found body color under the under hood black. Has anyone ever seen this before?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2024, 09:30:23 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
Re: Body color under the hood
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2024, 08:30:47 PM »
Im certainly not a Mercury Cyclone expert, but I would think the paint process is the same (or similar) to a Mustang of that era.  The black that was painted in the engine compartment was painted after the body color.  So for portions under the hood you could have body color underneath the black.  I dont see it being under the entire engine compartment black....just portions. 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Body color under the hood
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2024, 08:53:11 PM »
I was a local car show this past weekend and saw something that I thought I would ask here since there is a wealth of knowledge among this group. This is not a Mustang question. I found this on four different unrestored 69 to 71 Mercury Cyclones. I found body color under the under hood black. Has anyone ever seen this before?

Not sure if your mixing in the Spoilers or not

Would be the same as Torino and Ranchero built cars. Same car plants and same production lines inside the plants

Some would have come equipped (like some Mach Is ) with the black insulation pads attached to the underside of the hood

Unrestored cars

69 Cyclones

Spoiler

Body color (Torino)

Cyclone

71's (Torinos)

Body color

With a black center - may be undercoating applied a prior owner. Have seen this before

Cyclones

« Last Edit: June 09, 2024, 09:29:46 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Keith Stem

Re: Body color under the hood - Cyclone 69-71?
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2024, 10:58:37 AM »
I only saw body color on the shock tower and radiator support, it may have been in other places, I just didn't look. I have never seen body color overspray on a Mustang, but the next time I judge a unrestored car I will look closer. When my white 68 was unrestored it did not have any overspray under the hood. Thank for the education, I certainly have not seen all I need to see.

Keith

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2024, 02:09:50 PM »
Sorry I went back after your last comment and reread your first post.

I read it as if you were asking about the color under (or bottom) of the hood "I found body color under the under hood black." rather than body color under the black on the inner fender panels and such

Yes this is a somewhat fairly common IMHO finding since the body color was applied first by hand.  Though not often visible unless the black top coat is damaged. Guess some painters got carried away or it was a new guy just applying a bunch of paint forward of the cowl where it would be hidden anyway by the black paint. At some plants the black did not extend over all of the front wheel wells so body color can be seen there on the inner fender panels

Sorry for any confusion I created by the misunderstanding 
Jeff Speegle

Offline 1969 Cale II

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2024, 09:36:48 PM »
Having restored and documented many midsize Fords/Mercs, yes, the underhood was body color. And as far as the engine compartment went, like Mustangs, the body color did come forward and on the inside and outside and then the black out was put on. Remember, the amount of body color will vary from car to car and side to side. Different days, painters, hangovers, etc. I have done 3 Spoiler II's and now a Talladega. Apparently the black doesn't hold up well, that's why we see the color.

Offline Keith Stem

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2024, 11:15:55 PM »
Thanks for all the explanations, I have only restored my 68 Mustang and judged a lot of restored cars. Since a restored car would have had the engine bay painted with the fenders off, I did not understand how body paint got in the engine bay. It all makes sense now, thanks again all.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2024, 09:35:12 PM »
1969 Cale II Thanks. Owned about 8 of the 68-72 Torinos, Talledegas and Rancheros I didn't pay attention to the details like others. Wish I had taken pictures like usual  ::)
Jeff Speegle