Author Topic: Wiring Question  (Read 1617 times)

Offline mgerg11

Wiring Question
« on: June 02, 2024, 01:45:57 PM »
Can someone tell me where these wires go and what should he hooked up to them? Thanks!

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Wiring Question
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2024, 02:43:30 PM »
it sure would help if we knew what your car's details were. otherwise just guessing. suggest you add those facts to your signature as most here have done.
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2024, 03:25:12 PM »
First always remember that your car will have more connections that likely originally used. Saves money to make one or two wiring looms with ever possible connection than create multiples specifically for all the possibilities and just those ones

First picture purple wire and connection is for the brake warning light. Often owners/builders leave it off when they can't figure out how to center the piston that sits between the front and rear brake passages

Other black plug with the four wires is for (sorry don't have a wiring diagram open at the moment) the rear turn indicator lights for a Mach I with the fake hood scoop. Not used for your applciation

Second picture - The white boot goes to the carburetor idle solenoid your car came with originally. Keeps it from dieseling

Green wire with boot would be not used on your application since its for AC

Blue with red tracer/stripe wire is for a light - in this case believe its the one in the shifter bezel for an automatic - Again not used for your applciation

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2024, 04:46:47 PM »
Can someone tell me where these wires go and what should he hooked up to them? Thanks!
I would recommend you get a set of "1970 Mustang Assembly Manuals". Your questions are answered in the electrical manual.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2024, 10:27:50 PM »
First always remember that your car will have more connections that likely originally used. Saves money to make one or two wiring looms with ever possible connection than create multiples specifically for all the possibilities and just those ones

First picture purple wire and connection is for the brake warning light. Often owners/builders leave it off when they can't figure out how to center the piston that sits between the front and rear brake passages

Other black plug with the four wires is for (sorry don't have a wiring diagram open at the moment) the rear turn indicator lights for a Mach I with the fake hood scoop. Not used for your applciation

Second picture - The white boot goes to the carburetor idle solenoid your car came with originally. Keeps it from dieseling

Green wire with boot would be not used on your application since its for AC

Blue with red tracer/stripe wire is for a light - in this case believe its the one in the shifter bezel for an automatic - Again not used for your applciation
Absolutely correct.  However, the green wire with boot was only available if (1) the car had AC and (2) the underdash harness is original to the car.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2024, 07:12:01 PM »
Absolutely correct.  However, the green wire with boot was only available if (1) the car had AC and (2) the underdash harness is original to the car.

Thanks - So there was a AC and non-AC underdash wire loom?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2024, 07:55:40 PM »
I believe the main harness has AC accommodations on all cars. There maybe an auxiliary harness  added when AC was specified.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2024, 11:02:55 PM »
I have several non-AC 1970 underdash harnesses.  In fact, there's another difference in the length of the heater box wires if the connector is at the passenger side of the harness.  AC versions are longer by approx. 10 inches, so it can reach the left side of the heater box; non-AC heater box has connector on the RH side.  That said, there are at least 3 variants of AC wiring for the 1970: RH passenger side, 3 pin flat half-way up the harness towards the firewall grommet, and a combination of the two.  This creates real problems for me when someone simply wants to buy outright an AC harness...the only good solution I have is to provide the combination variant or the RH only variant, which ensures there's a connection to the resistor pack.

AC wiring became standard in Mustangs in 1972, whether AC was present or not. 

I do not have a good inventory of Boss harnesses, but I believe they simply used standard Mustang wiring and added the rev limiter under the hood.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com