Author Topic: 68 289 Engine Painting Details Metuchen Plant  (Read 1041 times)

Online dkknab

68 289 Engine Painting Details Metuchen Plant
« on: May 30, 2024, 10:20:21 AM »
I got dinged for my bypass coolant hose and clamps not being painted blue.  I have seen pictures where it is blue but also unrestored pictures where it is not.  Specifically https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=17904.msg113141#msg113141. This is a J code 302 and not a C code 289. Does that make a difference?

Before I go painting my hose blue I just wanted to confirm it should or shouldn't be.

Jeff, feel free to merge this with an earlier thread if more appropriate.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2024, 10:22:26 AM by dkknab »
David Knab

1968 Sunlit Gold Coupe Sprint B
289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior
April 5, 1968 Build Date, Metuchen Plant

2019 Bullitt Highland Green K7662

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 68 289 Engine Painting Details Metuchen Plant
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2024, 11:31:16 AM »
Definitely should be painted with the engine.  How much paint was applied could vary.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline dave6768

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2024, 02:05:49 PM »
I would imagine that paint doesn't always stick/adhere to rubber very well and chips, flakes, peels off over the years.

Online dkknab

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2024, 05:41:04 PM »
I would imagine that paint doesn't always stick/adhere to rubber very well and chips, flakes, peels off over the years.

But I'm guessing it would hold up well on the clamps.  That hose had clearly been replaced and had the wrong clamps.  I've since replaced the hose and clamps but haven't painted them yet. I'm in the process of replacing the heater hoses and with that done guessing I should paint the bypass hose and clamps too.
David Knab

289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2024, 06:55:49 PM »
But I'm guessing it would hold up well on the clamps.  That hose had clearly been replaced and had the wrong clamps.  I've since replaced the hose and clamps but haven't painted them yet. I'm in the process of replacing the heater hoses and with that done guessing I should paint the bypass hose and clamps too.
That is if you want it like original and do not want any deductions for that again in a concours original venue. ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2024, 11:21:48 PM »

Only if you want to call it a restoration and not provide a reason for viewers to question your work or effort.

In the unrestored example you found it appears hoses and clamps have been changed (most cars have) since new plus you don't IMHO want to base choice on a single example if you can help it in any way

BTW the details on this subject would not differ depending on car assembly plant "68 289 Engine Painting Details Metuchen Plant" since all small blocks would have been built at the same engine plant
« Last Edit: May 30, 2024, 11:26:09 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2024, 01:54:30 AM »
Im pretty sure I saw someone with a low mileage original 68 Mustang C code somewhere on this forum.  It might be in the.......unrestored picture thread section of this forum if you look there.  Also sure that exact detail is in photos or maybe someone posted a YouTube video on that car.  But Im not sure. 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2024, 01:32:41 PM »
Humble thy name is Marcus.😂👍
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2024, 04:56:37 PM »
Ha ha....well.....I keep seeing all these questions and we have virtually an exact copy of the original posters question here to look at that would be helpful.  IVe mentioned it before...doesnt get any better for what he is building.   
Marcus Anghel

Online dkknab

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2024, 06:27:02 PM »
Took me a while to figure out what you all were talking about then I think it clicked.  Here's a screen shot from your engine compartment video Marcus showing the blue bypass hose.  Enough said.
David Knab

289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2024, 07:33:09 PM »
Videos seem to be all the rage these days....we probably need to start a new video library section in our forum here and then have content to watch on Saturday nights and have weekly premiers hosted by the moderators.  The video section can be broken down by years like we do with everything else. 
Marcus Anghel

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2024, 08:17:43 PM »
The screen shot also highlights the alternative finish on the alternator bracket as bare steel . My Friend Marty Rupp pounded that detail into my head last year with examples as a legitimate factory alternative to the more typical semi gloss black. Certainly semi gloss black is more maintenance friendly however. :)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2024, 09:19:53 PM »
Videos seem to be all the rage these days....we probably need to start a new video library section in our forum here and then have content to watch on Saturday nights and have weekly premiers hosted by the moderators.  The video section can be broken down by years like we do with everything else.

Not sure that is needed at this time. We've been told many times the current forum format is out of style and not popular thought we have exceeded all of our expectations and have participation and viewer totals that are amazing.  Currently a video (though I believe they may need to be posted elsewhere where they may make other people/companies richer :) can be posted in the Unrestored Picture section IMHO since they are pictures so fits the category. In that way if they fall out of favor next year we don't have a small orphan section and I find trying to stopping a video right at the point that shows a detail and then trying to enlarge it to highlight, investigate or discuss a fair amount of extra work.

Maybe the people viewing videos are more interested in entertainment that our focus
« Last Edit: May 31, 2024, 09:23:37 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)