Author Topic: I Want To Make My Own Firewall Blanket!  (Read 1659 times)

Offline MWM

I Want To Make My Own Firewall Blanket!
« on: May 14, 2011, 07:25:04 PM »
I have a 1965 Mustang Fastback from San Jose.  Unfortunately, all the reproductions I have found are too thin, too many holes, etc.  Does anyone have a source of where I can get the firewall insulation in bulk as a blank sheet?  I will be happy to cut it out myself.
thanks!

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: I Want To Make My Own Firewall Blanket!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 07:58:57 PM »
I have a 1965 Mustang Fastback from San Jose.  Unfortunately, all the reproductions I have found are too thin, too many holes, etc.  Does anyone have a source of where I can get the firewall insulation in bulk as a blank sheet?  I will be happy to cut it out myself.
thanks!
The trick is to find it in any quanity bulk or otherwise. I hope someone will offer a source for the factory correct looking stuff but I think it is doubtful. This is not the first time this question has been asked. Your best bet is to concentrate on buying a nice used one out of a car someplace IMHO. The pads sometimes show up on ebay. The best of luck with your search. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: I Want To Make My Own Firewall Blanket!
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 05:06:23 PM »
You could start with the same stuff we made the trunk underlayment (layer of jute, then tar) but don't know how you would build a mold to form it (originals were not flat) of how you would reproduce the offset dimple pattern in the surface (without that IMHO the effort is wasted)

Agree with Charles - find a nice original and save yourself some headaches ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)