Author Topic: Wittek Tower Clamps - Heater Hoses, Smog System & Bypass Hoses  (Read 812 times)

Offline kitdoctor

Wittek Tower Clamps - Heater Hoses, Smog System & Bypass Hoses
« on: November 18, 2023, 10:20:05 PM »
I did a search and didn't find any general discussion topic.

These clamps are widely reproduced.  I'm interested in those sizes that were typically used on heater, smog system and coolant bypass hoses, so 1 1/16" and 1 3/16" for the 1970 model year. In many/all? cases those that came originally fitted are date coded.  Reproductions are often but not always date coded too.

I have seen what I think are NOS items for sale that are not date coded  https://shop.docrebuild.com/1966-1982CorvetteSmogHoseGenuineWittekGN34TowerClampGM9423574.aspx   Maybe they are reproductions????

I have seen used date coded examples with date codes into the late 1970s and early 1980s.  Did Wittek stop date coding them at a certain point or should every tower clamp that Wittek produced before they went out of business have a date code?

Were original/NOS clamps only ever finished with a galvanised coating?  In engine detailing guides (e.g. for Boss 302) I see what I think is zinc dichromate.

Wittek produced these tower clamps in different band widths.  Did Ford only use a particular band width?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2023, 01:25:55 AM by kitdoctor »
Dirty laundry list:
'70 Torino Cobra SCJ Medium Red, C-code, 24k miles
'70 XW GS Fairmont Diamond White, auto, 40k miles
'71 Boss 351 fastback Grabber Yellow 5k miles
'73 XA GT sedan Lime Glaze, 4 speed, 81k miles
'77 XC Fairmont GXL Onyx Black, 4 speed, 29k km
'78 P6 LTD Sno White, auto, 160k km

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Wittek Tower Clamps - Heater Hoses, Smog System & Bypass Hoses
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2023, 04:53:47 PM »
Not a subject I've looked into deeply nor have a specific list made for your application as far as each individual clamp. At least we can start a conversation and others may join in :)

I did a search and didn't find any general discussion topic.

These clamps are widely reproduced.  I'm interested in those sizes that were typically used on heater, smog system and coolant bypass hoses, so 1 1/16" and 1 3/16" for the 1970 model year. In many/all? cases those that came originally fitted are date coded.  Reproductions are often but not always date coded too.

Ok so your not including the other Wittek clamps used on your car

I have seen what I think are NOS items for sale that are not date coded .............  Maybe they are reproductions????[/quote]

States at the top that these are just reproductions like what is available many other places

I have seen used date coded examples with date codes into the late 1970s and early 1980s.  Did Wittek stop date coding them at a certain point or should every tower clamp that Wittek produced before they went out of business have a date code?

Believe the ones for your application would have had a date code on them

Were original/NOS clamps only ever finished with a galvanised coating?  In engine detailing guides (e.g. for Boss 302) I see what I think is zinc dichromate.

Are you seeing these on "restored" cars or maybe your seeing the non-tower Wittek bands

Wittek produced these tower clamps in different band widths.  Did Ford only use a particular band width?

Yes thinner band widths have been documented for some tower clamps for some applications. Don't recall if they apply to 70 Boss 302 engines but sure a number of members can confirm this little detail
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline kitdoctor

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2023, 08:13:45 PM »
Jeff, when you continue into the description of that example clamp it says:

"CAVEAT EMPTOR: on the 7/16" wide band these are stamped Wittek Mfg Co, Chicago USA and 1 1/16 and they are made in the USA; not reproduction; not imported."  So, it says "...not reproduction...".  To me, "not reproduction" means made by the original manufacturer, not, for example, another company that bought the tooling/materials from the bankrupt Wittek company.

Now, I could send the seller an email and ask a few questions which I did and he lived up to his reputation of being terse and rude. Just google this guy "DocRebuild" and be astounded.

The seller also has a GM (nothing to do with General Motors) series 1 1/16" https://shop.docrebuild.com/1968-1982Corvette5/8HoseClampGenuineWittekGM34ClampOriginalGM9423574.aspx  Note for this item it is clearer that it is NOS.  The width of the band is not stated.  The identification stamping "Wittek Chgo IL 1 1/16" is slightly different.
Dirty laundry list:

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2023, 10:51:48 PM »
Jeff, when you continue into the description of that example clamp it says:

"CAVEAT EMPTOR: on the 7/16" wide band these are stamped Wittek Mfg Co, Chicago USA and 1 1/16 and they are made in the USA; not reproduction; not imported."  So, it says "...not reproduction...".  To me, "not reproduction" means made by the original manufacturer, not, for example, another company that bought the tooling/materials from the bankrupt Wittek company.

One of the challenge always is that people can call their parts anything they want, we see it all the time and why we suggest that when these terms are used (just like "all original"  "Numbers matching" "restored" and so on) is always good to ask what they mean by the term they are using. I see the use of "Reproduction of GM 9423574" and "Genuine" which IMHO can't all be true. If they were NOS or NORS then that IMHO suggests that dates are limited or possibly only one date is available and not likely correct for your car. Also on the one page it states that they do not make these possibly suggesting that they simply buy them from a maker. Possibly the same other re-sellers get theirs from

They may be made by the original company if they are but that does not make them NOS which refers to parts made when the cars were being built rather than what some refer to as NORS - New Old Replacement Stock or by others simply as "Service Parts"  its pretty common to find that each looks differently from factory originals

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline kitdoctor

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2023, 12:14:35 AM »
Thank you Jeff for your replies.

I enquired about the presence of date codes and this is what DocRebuild said "If your [you] bothered to read the complete description - I was an authorized Wittek distributor and everything you asked was answered."

This tends to suggest to me that neither the GN or GM series tower clamps that DocRebuild has have dates codes stamped on them. The thing is I thought that the original tower clamps produced (i.e. pre the 1993 bankruptcy) by Wittek were always date coded and the other tangential style (e.g. the #10s used on smog system) were not date coded. This is what I'm hoping to confirm.

Yes I'm seeing the zinc dichromate plated tower clamps on restored cars and you can see them in the Boss 302 engine detailing guide at https://anghelrestorations.com/mustang-factoids/
« Last Edit: November 20, 2023, 12:27:23 AM by kitdoctor »
Dirty laundry list:

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2023, 06:13:41 PM »
Jack / Dead Nuts On has replated original tower clamps here:  https://www.deadnutson.com/1970-428-cobra-jet-hoses/

He also usually has replated band style clamps as well.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline kitdoctor

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2023, 11:21:34 PM »
Murf, if you have an interest simply check out his reviews on Corvette forums etc.  You should see his YouTube channel.  He's made a number of videos attacking various customers/persons he has dealt with.

I was aware of his reputation and made a polite enquiry. I simply don't understand where his attitude comes from.

rockhouse66 yes I see Jack has the replated 1 1/16" used tower clamps.  I'm doubtful though whether zinc dichromate is correct.
Dirty laundry list: