Author Topic: 67 Detailing Question - 67 FB - S code - automatic - non GT - Paint Marks  (Read 4973 times)

Offline scodemike

• Mustangs by Mike
Hi, I am looking for some help re: final detailing on various suspension components.

I have a '67 Fastback, 390, C6 Auto, A/C, 3:25 Trac Lok, PS/PDB, Metuchen Built 4/17/67.

I am looking for the following information;

Color of Driveshaft Paint Stripes.
Color of Rear Spring Paint Stripes
Color of Front Coil Spring Paint Stripes and the number of, one or two.
Paint dabs on Front/Rear Shocks, if any
I couldn't identify the original paint dab colors on the tie rods, tie rod ends, Spindles and Idler arm, so I will probably leave those off.

Any help would be appreciated.  If I left out any information required to determine the color codes, just post a message or send me an email @  scode@mustangsbymike.com

Thanks, Mike
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 07:32:44 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 67 Detailing Question
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 09:25:19 PM »
Non-GT?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline scodemike

• Mustangs by Mike
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 09:36:03 PM »
Hi Jeff,  I knew I would forget something.  Yes, NON=GT, but with many options, including HD Suspension.  Mike

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 07:34:49 PM »
As did I ;)

Do you happen to have the engineering numbers off the rear springs so we can be more certain of the markings.

Looks like I may have a buildsheet or two to use but have to compare all the opinions
Jeff Speegle

Offline scodemike

• Mustangs by Mike
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 07:52:31 PM »
The numbers on the rear springs are; 7ZA5556AU/ 330EC6.  I hope that helps. 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 07:31:08 PM »
Hmm interesting spring number

Ok the easier ones

Shocks were likely each marked with - Brown (down typically with a brush)

Driveline  - Red (Fire engine) - Blue (medium to slightly lighter)  - White  (Front to back)

Center link, idler (marked on the arm) and pittman - Yellow (down typically with a brush)

Don't normally find anything on the tie rods so I would (and do) leave those unmarked unless the originals had markings

Springs will be a bit more difficult - checking
Jeff Speegle

Offline scodemike

• Mustangs by Mike
Thanks Jeff that really helps, I appreciate the effort.  So the springs are a little weird you say?  The 330 number was stamped below the C7 number.  I don't think it could be a date code with that sequence, so your guess is much better  than mine.  Mike

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Thanks Jeff that really helps, I appreciate the effort.  So the springs are a little weird you say?  The 330 number was stamped below the C7 number.  I don't think it could be a date code with that sequence, so your guess is much better  than mine.  Mike

Not so "weird" just ones that were not used on many applications so I don't have good original examples to go to - will have to rely on documents and such to see what we have.  Really like matching up original details (what they really did)  and documents (what they planned on doing) for some level of assurance
Jeff Speegle

Offline scodemike

• Mustangs by Mike
I wonder if they are different because it is a Non=GT ordered with HD Suspension?  This car basically is similarly equipped to a GT wo/fog lights, plus a list of many other options.  Again thanks for the effort.

Offline scodemike

• Mustangs by Mike
Hi Jeff,

Just wondering if you have found out any further information re: paint markings for the springs?  Mike

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
I wonder if they are different because it is a Non=GT ordered with HD Suspension?  This car basically is similarly equipped to a GT wo/fog lights, plus a list of many other options.  Again thanks for the effort.

Unfortunately AU's were not the same as what were typically used on GT's so we are left without any other examples with these specific rear springs. IMHO until we find something provides some concert assurance I would not put any marks on them rather than having the wrong ones.  You'll not (currently in anything other than the very top classes) loose any points for not having them in place

Sorry could not help on this one

If anyone has some original AU - rear springs from 67 with clear paint markings would be great to see a picture
Jeff Speegle

Offline scodemike

• Mustangs by Mike
Thanks Jeff for trying.  I agree with you that it is better to leave them off than put on something wrong.

Offline rodster

Mike,

I'll check my non-GT next week but being a Dearborn car it may not help you much.

Rod
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Mike,

I'll check my non-GT next week but being a Dearborn car it may not help you much.

If its a 67 with the AU springs it would be helpful IMHO if the marks are still present
Jeff Speegle

Offline rodster

If its a 67 with the AU springs it would be helpful IMHO if the marks are still present

Sorry, looks like it's AA springs.
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A