Author Topic: 1970 M Code Auto Mach I Build Sheet Paint Mark Questions  (Read 1930 times)

Offline silverelvis69

1970 M Code Auto Mach I Build Sheet Paint Mark Questions
« on: September 12, 2023, 02:38:26 AM »
NOTE: These first few posts were separated from another thread focused and asked about build sheet decoding/recreation for a 1970 M code build sheet

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=28835.0

So in a nutshell
All I need to do is

to mark under side to match build sheet.
----------------------------------------------
Rear springs 2 yellow stripes 2 brown

Front springs 1 Gold 1 Tan

Front Sway bar GREEN YELLOW

Steering
Pitman yellow
idler yellow
control link yellow
tie rod left -green right -yellow
Drive shaft chartreuse(whatever that is0 white and violet)
front shocks white

Anything else I may have missed?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 07:19:25 PM by J_Speegle »
1970 Mach1 351 Cleaveland 4V-V8
San Jose built
11/69
Mustang mach1 2-door sports roof
Dark ivy green metallic
FMX select shift automatic transmission.
Ps A/c

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1970 M Code Auto Mach I Build Sheet Paint Mark Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2023, 05:26:33 PM »
Rear springs 2 yellow stripes 2 brown

Front springs 1 Gold 1 Tan

Front Sway bar GREEN YELLOW

Steering
Pitman yellow
idler yellow
control link yellow
tie rod left -green right -yellow

Anything else I may have missed?

Of course your only listing the color name and item the other 70% of the effort is knowing where they were marked, how they were marked and what they typically (the marks) looked like. Don't fully agree, based on original cars that tie rods were always marked as you would find if you believe that the letter relates to color rather than something else. Example in your list would be tie rods.

"Missed"? Just depends on how far your going. If the intent is to place paint marks on items identified on a build sheet then yes. If marking everything that was typically marked originally then no. Will separate the post to a new thread since we're getting off topic
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 07:18:54 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline silverelvis69

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2023, 07:03:14 PM »
Missed

Drive shaft charetreuse(whatever color that is?? lavender white
front shocks - white? would that be on shock towers?

Any photos of these markings from what I have seen is dabs and lines
San Jose built
11/69
Dark ivy green metallic
Ps A/c

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2023, 07:17:12 PM »
Missed

Drive shaft chartreuse(whatever color that is?? lavender white

Examples of these colors are shown in General Paint Marks article in the Library I mentioned earlier

Chartreuse is sort of a greenish aqua color. You can find other examples and explanation using any internet search engine though these will provide what the color is not always the tones drive shaft markers used

front shocks - white? would that be on shock towers?

No on the bottom of the shock. That would identify the shock from others at the same station the worker had to choose from. Shock tower marking for this would not really help. That is why two copies (front and rear) of the sheet was taped to the moving car unibody through the process.

Any photos of these markings from what I have seen is dabs and lines

Have over 10,000 pictures of paint marks. Will see what I can find or you can search for pictures in other threads and some examples are in the article I mentioned above. They may not be of the exact color and application but will provide where the item was marked, the size and the method (brush, stamp, spray ...)
Jeff Speegle

Offline silverelvis69

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2023, 07:08:50 PM »
tie rod  Left green, Right yellow

Is facing infront of the car (passenger side USA car)
or drivers side?

Anybody?
San Jose built
11/69
Dark ivy green metallic
Ps A/c

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2023, 08:55:30 PM »
tie rod  Left green, Right yellow

Is facing infront of the car (passenger side USA car)
or drivers side?

Anybody?
Left is driver side Right is passenger.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline silverelvis69

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2023, 09:13:35 PM »
Thanks  build sheet mentions for my Drive shaft

CHLAWT  chartreuse lavender white

Not too sure how to go about restoring current.

Any suggestions?
Do I keep the current alone and add chartreuse lavender  next to the white(current)??

Will post my markings soon
San Jose built
11/69
Dark ivy green metallic
Ps A/c

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2023, 09:19:55 PM »
Thanks  build sheet mentions for my Drive shaft
Not too sure how to go about restoring current.

Any suggestions?

Yes read and follow, if the tube is not pitted much, the article in the Library.

Search will also turn up a few threads on cleaning or restoring them You wil find them referred to as driveshafts and drivelines as a clue.

Good luck
Jeff Speegle

Offline silverelvis69

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2023, 09:34:02 PM »
Thanks Jeff
Here is some photos for referances to some people and what I have found. I have been busy!

Feel free to criticise or applaud

Will leave drive shaft till I can get a hoist

Thanks for all your help
« Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 09:42:03 PM by silverelvis69 »
San Jose built
11/69
Dark ivy green metallic
Ps A/c

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2023, 09:40:19 PM »
Thanks Jeff
Here is some photos for referances to some people and what I have found. I have been busy!

Feel free to criticise or applaud

Are these reproductions of what you documented on the car or things you found and borrowed from across the web and magazines?

Of course the rear springs are not originals but replacements and I've never seen 69 or 70's marked in that location.  I've got other comments but will wait to see if you have documentation from your car for what you've applied.

Jeff Speegle

Offline silverelvis69

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2023, 09:43:24 PM »
Yes , cross checked and build sheet and some copy from other san jose cars from my research - the DM C is Ray ref of his SAN JOSE car

The x mark and "no of builder"  from numerous videos that I have seen and read

A good watch is this that I found

https://youtu.be/pGPR8S15lBU?si=FhijIv9u1CQvnBKJ Bob Perkins
« Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 10:05:55 PM by silverelvis69 »
San Jose built
11/69
Dark ivy green metallic
Ps A/c

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2023, 11:03:54 PM »
To be truthful and these are not meant to be hurtful I offer the following. Please for give my sentence structure and wording have allot to share on the subject

Looking at your pictures I think you would have been better served by focusing on the details and finishes of your build rather than paint daubs and marks. In many areas your car appears to be worn and untouched. These facts and observations make the new fresh bright colors look even more out of place but your car and choice. But since you have chosen to go down this path it will at least serve for others what not to do in many cases and example you have provided 

So since you have no pictures of what you found on your car during disassembly I would recommend removing just about ever mark you showed since some don't apply to your car, were placed in the wrong location or order and for other issues. Sorry for the long list but you asked. This will likely take a number of posts to get through them all. You posted a video you found on the web but its concerning a different model and produced at a different plane and we don't know when, during the production year it was built plus other things. All reasons not to copy the information provided.  Remember or consider that allot of cars you will see on the web, magazines (you remember those things) and at shows did the same thing as you and saw cars, copied the details (no matter the plant or year often) and applied them to their car. Then others see those and because "so many" have the same mark they copy and repeat and repeat. Easy to see how the results of this sort of practice creates bias and how it makes people believe there is some reason to believe that one or more are correct and proper for their car when they often are not.

Front springs - Looks like you have stripes in multiple areas around the spring This is not how they were typically marked. Like covered in other threads on the subject the springs were marked out of the car often on the side of the coil or standing up in reverse of how they would be installed. This meant that any runs often look like they are running up hill once installed. Appears that the brush was lightly loaded with paint and applied in a single single stroke from what would be bottom to top once the spring was installed. Marked only in one location with both stripes fair close to one another. Sometimes an additional white sprayed on stripe was added if the shocks (as we understand it) were over or under the required limitation so that two marked springs could be installed on one car without a notable negative effect

The passenger side inner wheel well - These markings the "D" and the "M" were likely on the car originally but would have been applied before the sound deadener so they would not have been seen one the deadener was applied unlike what you have in the picture. Of course all of your hardware shown in the picture is either covered with sound deadener (great if it follows the flow pattern but in other areas its just blacked off since no one removed them before they painted the area. On some 70 San Jose built cars with the same options as yours the "M" would not be applied but the Calif Evap code would be placed there. Also have the D and M reversed on some examples.

The "C" below the battery box area is an interesting and would have also been typically under the sound deadener if the product has been sprayed in that area. Never seen it as a single letter so think the person you got it from or saw it didn't get the complete code.  BTW this is a code that would not be on all San Jose built Mustangs only ones with the Calif Evap system

« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 12:20:58 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline silverelvis69

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2023, 11:25:24 PM »
OUCH but thank you jeff.

Mne is a san jose Calif Evap car

I will take this on board and appreciate your advise. I undersstand these videos are not from the same plant etc but hence why this got me interested to do my own with my build sheet

I doubt the X would have been on the buikld sheet and thought to myself why not too lol

Thanks for your input and greatly appreciate it
« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 12:22:48 AM by silverelvis69 »
San Jose built
11/69
Dark ivy green metallic
Ps A/c

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2023, 12:42:01 AM »
As mentioned above the rear springs - and the clamps are not of original designed nor finished and detailed like originals. Then the marks were applied (spaced out) on one of the middle leaves rather than the rear of the longest one as typically done. Here are a \few examples showing the pattern and location on originals. Not the same color combination on all of them as what would have been original for your car though poorly preserved the upper left is from an M code Mustang though all of the colors have not survived the years you can still make out the yellow 2 stripes

Shocks were typically marked in a different location than you have marked your examples. Here are four originals from different application but they do show IMHO some consistency. Starting, from what I've collected, in 70 we see some limited number marked with spray rather than brush but think that is a later thing at this point.

Passenger side steering. Again I think someone was confused in borrowing or copying someone else's or just made them up. The idler arm appears to be marked correctly with a yellow. Its often sloppier than presented but its there and the right color. The marking on the inner tie rod was likely on what ever source someone else found originally located on the center link between the last passenger side post and the hole for the passenger side tie rod connection. For others reading and viewing the yellow markings denote a power steering car. Manual steering cars would have had different markings

Going to ignore the big ugly X on the rearend housing. Likely one of the most copied and applied marking we see other than things like made up paint inspector names and the ones from other plants. At one time it was thought that X meant that something had been checked or torqued but of course if one was found then two, three, four ........ were better. And as mentioned earlier. One get in a magazine or wins an award at a show and everyone has to have an X or multiple ones. The most common marking I have found on some San Jose rear end housings in the late 69s and 70 since that was the last year for classic Mustang production may be a second rotation number but most of the time they are so sloppy they are difficult to decode completely.

Sway bar - On this one it appears to be a better result. rarely see these placed as far towards the passenger end both the order is correct. Typically less paint was used and they were more centered. Have a fair number with the color reversed. Likely just a mistake of the youngest worker assigned to applying the colors or they just positioned them on the table incorrectly when applying the stripes.

In the last two pictures you show some paint marks I think are really off and not sure what you confused them with since there are so many different ways you could have come up with this incorrectly. Looks like a mix of the old yellow/green, passenger/driver side idea of the 90's crossbreed maybe with the color coded strut washers of 1970. Way off from my experience and findings. There was a marking of sorts in this general area where the forward strut washers where painted to (as currently believed) go with certain front end suspension pieces and the tires/wheel combinations that would be installed. But as we can see on your example its not the washers that were painted nor with they matching.

Hope this helps you while providing an example for others that will view this thread now and in the future

« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 12:49:33 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline silverelvis69

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2023, 02:39:54 AM »
Awesome info thanks Jeff and for your patience.

I have since gone back and corrected most including removing the BIG YELLOW X lol
Thank you

I think you have also enjoyed this thread ! Well I hope so!
As for me - this is the most interesting part of the mustangs world and factory markings is like uncovering dinosaur bones. Awesome

Thank you
« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 02:44:11 AM by silverelvis69 »
San Jose built
11/69
Dark ivy green metallic
Ps A/c