Author Topic: 1970 M Code Auto Mach I build sheet Questions  (Read 1335 times)

Offline silverelvis69

1970 M Code Auto Mach I build sheet Questions
« on: September 11, 2023, 03:43:08 AM »
Ok fellow experts.
Can someone pls help me break this down this build sheet? what does each item mean? if possible? the attactched is a draft till he puts it to print.

.I came across 1970 Mustang Mach1 World Registry
 Raynald B?langer see http://1970mach1.homestead.com/home.html?fbclid=IwAR1z1Re6PjY-inNa0nbYWEYhWOSvF_kVG2AS7ITNttQhKqjxb019t15jbbw

and thought I would purchase a reproduction built sheet(as Mine is missing when I purchased the vehicle?
Enclosed is the build sheet he is proposing that is for my car. Marti report and invoice + other items were passed on.

These are my questions

What is rotation number? How did you come up with 792?

What is
Carline Z?

Inst board A?

Battery code AD?

Type of order 5?

What does the V represent in the second last colum?

Leasing company (top last colums) ? Marti report mentions fleet? DSO ITEM 131U?? is this required in build sheet?

What is PHB P X=(FMX) - correct?

REAR AXLE 952A is CORRECT

brakes D1PG? how do you know this is accurate?

Seats S?

Whats is tape stripe B panels B?

Air Cond M?

Steering F?

Speedogear color tan?

Driveshaft ? what is CHLAWT?

Wiring looms G?

Fuel sender P(is that the purple tag?)

Audio ? I have the antenna and cig lighter ? should this be marked as X

LIGHTS OPTIONS? should this be empty?
PAINT STRIPS ? MARTI MENTIONS BLACK HOOD STRIPE?

OPT Mirrors ? SHOULD THIS BE 3? Pls confirm? How did you come up with B? I thought 3 was DUAL RACING MIRRORS?.

Radiator OB?

Wheel Cover S?

Rear Springs  colors 2YL2BN?

Stabilizer bar rear C?

Front spring left GLDTANG? Is that gold tang?

Stabiliser bar front GY?

No color on right front spring?

Tint glass A?

Heavy duty suspension D?

Tires Wheels 70 RS?   

TIRES  52AWL? 5=5 wheels right? What do following codes represent?

Spare Eqipt? I DO HAVE A SPARE BUT not original DID THESE COME WITH SPARE TIRES?

WAST IS HOOD OPTIONS N?

SPEED CONTROL ? I believe this was equped at the time ? speedometer modulator with emmision? Is this valid?

Muffler OCOD?

Steering  3IG AF YYYGY?

Front axle CCBAC?

Radiator OZG5?

Fan 8SEB?

Pulley 909F

AIR CLEANER OZ M

Alternator 4AEB

Idle belt H

Power steering   OAE H my tag reads SMB K  9K10C? Is this valid?

AIR COND OAE H?

Emmision ? Why is this empty as it is equipped with emission? Should this be ?9??

Other empty field -I have sports lamps equipped?

Summary
What is required to mark under carriage to reflect build sheet?

« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 08:10:41 PM by J_Speegle »
1970 Mach1 351 Cleaveland 4V-V8
San Jose built
11/69
Mustang mach1 2-door sports roof
Dark ivy green metallic
FMX select shift automatic transmission.
Ps A/c

Offline specialed

Re: 1970 build sheet
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2023, 10:57:40 AM »
I wonder how he came up with rotation order # ? Most of the other codes can come from other similar build sheets.

Offline cobrajet_carl

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2023, 01:08:41 PM »
I've wondered about the usefulness of repo build sheets. I have two 70 machs whose build sheets differ from how they were actually built. The difference is minor; in both cases the cars have tilt wheels and a C under the tilt column build sheet spot. Yet the Martis and Emingers show no tilt. Also have a car that the Marti and Eminger show had deluxe belts but it came with standard belts and no warning light. Anyway, your car had no smog pump so no emission belt. And no 70s had speed control. Your right front spring is not unique, so nothing entered. Most all the other codes can be found on this forum or others. The rotation number was were it fell in line that day and could be found in various places on the car itself, or perhaps from the buck tag.
Carl
70 and 71 Dearborn mach Is

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2023, 02:45:32 PM »
I wonder how he came up with rotation order # ? Most of the other codes can come from other similar build sheets.

Managers at the plants have explained that after the cars finished the first "half" of construction they were placed in a holding area where some were removed and sent to get things like vinyl or convertible tops done then brought back to the holding area. Then the cars were organized in the system in a new order from how they were in the first half (new rotation number assigned) based on how difficult the final build would be. They wanted to stagger the more difficult cars (AC, PS, big block, more options) with the base models with few or no options. It was explained to me that too many high option cars in a row would slow the line down but intermixing kept it running best.

This rotation number has nothing to do with the first rotation number stamped on a buck tag if so equipped.  Also rotation number were assigned to a group of cars not dependent on a "day" when they got to the end of the assigned number (001 or 999 or above depending on year and car plant) they started over again with 001. The change took place at 10:00 am or 3:23 pm. Didn't matter to the line guys or effect the process. Cars kept coming

With this new order of cars, buildsheet could be created and printed at the start of the line and at the sub assembly stations through out the plant.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 03:11:24 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2023, 03:07:49 PM »
OK fellow experts.
Can someone pls help me break this down this build sheet? what does each item mean? if possible? the attactched is a draft till he puts it to print.

.I came across 970 Mustang Mach1 World Registry
 Raynald B?langer see http://1970mach1.homestead.com/home.html?fbclid=IwAR1z1Re6PjY-inNa0nbYWEYhWOSvF_kVG2AS7ITNttQhKqjxb019t15jbbw

and thought I would purchase a reproduction built sheet(as Mine is missing when I purchased the vehicle?
Enclosed is the build sheet he is proposing that is for my car. Marti report and invoice + other items were passed on.

Wow that 's a list that is going to take a fair amount of time to respond to. Are you looking for the specifications for each and everyone of those items or are you just trying to confirm those would be correct for your car and application?  In other words are you looking just to recreate what a build sheet or something else? If so then the understanding of every letter likely is extra unneeded work and effort. Just trying to understand the intent and focus.

You might not realize but it is very unlikely someone would find a buildsheet in a San Jose built car. Workers there did not use these like they did at other plants so the left over ones were not often tossed in the car or attached to subassemblies. You may be aware of the fact that some of the coding is for identification purposes by color code while others are by part of engineering number.

Would/will take hours to go through the whole list if your looking to identify each and every one of the items down to the part and identity of that part. Some of the easy ones that don't require much of anything are as follows but not sure if the answers are what your looking for.

Summary
What is required to mark under carriage to reflect build sheet?

To start could you explain the comment above. Not sure what your looking for

Finally to cross check what you have on your handwritten buildsheet we would need to know more about your specific car. Marti report would likely help for some of those
« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 03:13:45 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline silverelvis69

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2023, 11:46:46 PM »
Ok Just to make sure this will match my car?

I wanterd to also understand these to make sure it matches and that I am not getting something else.

I have enclosed an attachment of invoice and marti to opening post.

BUT mor importantly - if I was to put markings , an understanding what to mark?

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 11:52:44 PM by silverelvis69 »
San Jose built
11/69
Dark ivy green metallic
Ps A/c

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1970 M Code Auto Mach I build sheet Questions
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2023, 12:18:44 AM »
Ok Just to make sure this will match my car?

I wanterd to also understand these to make sure it matches and that I am not getting something else.

That is going to take some time and cross comparing with other buildsheets from cars with the same options from the same time period. Maybe a few at a time or we might do a line it line by line like I started to do with Raynald when he asked.

I have enclosed an attachment of invoice and marti to opening post.
Thanks - helps allot

BUT more importantly - if I was to put markings , an understanding what to mark?

That would be a whole different subject.  Guess you've started by reading the general paint marking article in the Library and the prior threads on paint marks related to 70 351 Mach I's using the search feature.  With the words "paint marks 351  " I found three threads with just those words but invite you, if needed to start a new thread with the Marti report included if you choose.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 01:07:02 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2023, 01:05:25 AM »
Some of the easy off the top of my head ones that can be address fairly quickly

LINE A
What is Carline Z?
-There were multiple assembly lines in the same plant and building so this letter identified the one where Mustangs were assembled. Don't recall what side (compass position) the Mustang line was in the building.

Type of order 5?
-Haven't taken the time yet to cross reference know cars with Marti reports with the coding. Since your car was a fleet order it would have a different code than say, a customer order,

What does the V represent in the second last colum?
- Believe this might be an alignment character just to align the printer head with the form

Leasing company (top last colums) ? Marti report mentions fleet? DSO ITEM 131U?? is this required in build sheet? 
-The box has nothing to do with the type of order or the dealership ID It has to often do with a car being leased by an employee and you rarely see that box used and nothing on your documents suggests yours was an employee of lease purchase

LINE B

What is PHB P X=(FMX) - correct?
- Yes

LINE C

Speedogear color tan?
- Just the color of the plastic used to make the gear for that transmission and rear end combination

Driveshaft ? what is CHLAWT?
- Answered in a number of other threads and you could decode it by looking at the article in the library on the rear pages where the color examples and coding are shown

Fuel sender P(is that the purple tag?)
- More of a pink sticker/label wrapped around the nipple with no writing for this year and model

LINE D

Rear Springs  colors 2YL2BN?
- Again the basic paint mark article should help with coding and an example. If there is still a question its better for a thread focused on paint marks than about buildsheet codes. Keeps things neater and with one subject per thread  ;) For this one its 2 Yellow stripes and 2 Brown stripes.

Stabilizer bar rear C?
-  Just identified the correct sway bar should have been built from the C could be a bin number the worker pulled from. Some applications and years if could be a color code

Front spring left GLDTANG? Is that gold tang?
- No the G is in box B24 not B18-23. The color code listed is 1 GLD and 1 TAN so Gold and Tan

Stabiliser bar front GY?
- Yes the two colors of the two stripes on the front sway bar

No color on right front spring?
- Only used when both front springs are not identical. Something done on some other Ford and Mercury products

LINE E
Tires Wheels 70 RS?   
- Believe that is box E 7-12 that is the Wheel section not a tire section.

TIRES  52AWL? 5=5 wheels right?
- Box E 20 identifies the quantity of tires

What do following codes represent?
- Other details about the tires themselves

Spare Equip? I DO HAVE A SPARE BUT not original DID THESE COME WITH SPARE TIRES?
- Box E 28 has nothing to do with the spare tire

SPEED CONTROL ? I believe this was equipped at the time ? speedometer modulator with emission? Is this valid?
- The speedometer sensor/modulator as well as the plastic box in the engine compartment and a few other parts and wiring were part of the Dist-o-vac system not speed or cruise control.  The Distovac system was an emission system that was required and not an option. One short thread on the subject. 
[url=https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=8002.msg45995#msg45995]https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=8002.msg45995#msg45995][url]https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=8002.msg45995#msg45995]https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=8002.msg45995#msg45995]https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=8002.msg45995#msg45995][url]https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=8002.msg45995#msg45995[/url] There were four threads I found that cover the subject slightly. I used "Dist-o-vac" as the subject.  Guess I should scan and share one of the manuals on the system

LINE F

Steering  3IG AF YYYGY?
- Identifies all of the individual (or most ) of the front steering components for the worker in the sub assembly station that assembled the steering then sent it over to the car assembly line.

Front axle CCBAC?
- Same thing as the steering items one code to let the worker know the paint mark ID or bin where the part was stored

LINE G
Fan 8SEB?
 - The identification (in the example the shortened engineering number) Likely C8AE-B C8SE-B (commonly used fan for many applications)  that was stamped on the fan. Don't know if that is correct for you car with out checking
Pulley 909F

AIR CLEANER OZ M
- Another shortened code for the engineering code

If you look at the heading the following are engine belts and the coding or part of the shortened engineering number for the belt for each application as listed
Alternator 4AEB

Idle belt H

Power steering   OAE H

AIR COND OAE H?

Emission ? Why is this empty as it is equipped with emission? Should this be ?9??
- Your car especially since it was a California built and delivered car has multiple emission systems installed automatically and as required by law but since none of these included the Thermactor system and in turn no pump there was not need to list a belt for the pump.

Will return to the others I skipped if need be when I have a few more hours to dedicate to the questions
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 05:02:38 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline silverelvis69

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2023, 02:13:27 AM »
OMG JEFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)  :D :)

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!!

Well this build sheet preety much matches.

Even the fan.. check this out!!see attcachments

You are a god send!!! Thank you Jeff.

I understanfd the san jose may have tossed these but I always wish they didnt. For me this is a second chance of history and nice to have etc.

Thank you all for your contributions..(ESPECIALLY JEFF!!!!!!)
I hope this post is useful for the next lost soul and a link for a replication build sheet for the likes of Ray to help someone down the track!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 02:39:23 AM by silverelvis69 »
San Jose built
11/69
Dark ivy green metallic
Ps A/c

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2023, 02:16:32 AM »
Your welcome and thanks for the kind comments. As far as "matching" only some things have been confirmed need to check everything. We all make mistakes and review is good for everyone
Jeff Speegle

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2023, 10:47:33 AM »
An "A" for instrument board indicates the color black

The "v" indicates that specific line has codes on it. Lines without codes should not have the "v"

This maybe a fun exercise, but I must say I am not in favor of "recreating source documentation" for a specific car.
To me its like creating a fake/clone/tribute and saying "I would never pass it off as a real car" We all know how that ends up...just my opinion.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 10:53:07 AM by Coralsnake »

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2023, 11:51:59 AM »
Some of the easy off the top of my head ones that can be address fairly quickly

LINE G
Fan 8SEB?
 - The identification (in the example the shortened engineering number) Likely C8AE-B (commonly used fan for many applications)  that was stamped on the fan. Don't know if that is correct for you car with out checking
Pulley 909F

Will return to the others I skipped if need be when I have a few more hours to dedicate to the questions

Pretty sure that the fan would have been 5 blade flex C8SE-B, later superseded by virtually the same fan marked D0ZE-B later in 1970.

The water pump pulley code is likely C9OE-8509-F.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2023, 05:03:49 PM »
Pretty sure that the fan would have been 5 blade flex C8SE-B, later superseded by virtually the same fan marked D0ZE-B later in 1970.

Thanks Scott. Allot of writing/typing and I knew that since it was almost complete but my fingers choose to type an "A" rather than the "S"  ::)
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2023, 05:19:28 PM »
An "A" for instrument board indicates the color black

Not sure that in 70 the code relates to color but possibly something else. So far out of approximately 150 examples examples with both woodgrain deluxe or Mach I interiors and standard interiors I found all with the same code. The "A"

Also though it does not relate to San Jose, at Dearborn where Cougars and Mustangs were built on the same line I found the use of the following codes A, B & F in box A 23

This maybe a fun exercise, but I must say I am not in favor of "recreating source documentation" for a specific car.
To me its like creating a fake/clone/tribute and saying "I would never pass it off as a real car" We all know how that ends up...just my opinion.

The "positive" thing is likely any reproduction of the sheet will be flawed in some way to help determine its just a fake but of course many could still be unaware of those details and take someone at their word or don't know enough to know that its a fake. Sort of like fake cars
Jeff Speegle