Author Topic: 69 GT500 Battery cable query  (Read 1892 times)

Offline mwizz

69 GT500 Battery cable query
« on: June 21, 2023, 03:44:16 AM »
Hi all, I recently acquired a 69 Shelby GT500. There are 2 black battery cables running across the top of the battery to the negative terminal. One of these is running down to a bracket on the block near the base. The other is running to a bracket at the base of the shock tower area. Looking at various pics online it appears that only one cable runs from the negative terminal and not two. Does anyone have any info that would help clarify why there are two battery cables connected to the negative terminal.

Thank you
Mark

Offline jwc66k

Re: 69 GT500 Battery cable query
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2023, 03:55:54 PM »
Your Shelby has over 50 years of other peoples ownership and their "quirks". That may be your problem.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2023, 04:10:03 PM »
Your Shelby has over 50 years of other peoples ownership and their "quirks". That may be your problem.
Jim
+1 . That 50 year ownership history is where the problem lies. Your 69 GT500 only had the one negitive battery cable that went from the battery to the block from the FACTORY.  Anything else that is different but is now there has been added by past owners.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline mwizz

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2023, 09:29:40 PM »
Thankyou Bob yes am aware that it is as a result of the ownership of someone else. I am hoping that someone can give me info of what the correct earthing points would be. From what I have researched so far I believe only one cable should run from the negative terminal to somewhere on the engine block and there may be a second thinner cable that runs from the back of the block and earths somewhere on the firewall.

Offline mwizz

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2023, 09:31:59 PM »
Jim

That is definitely my problem Jim. Just need to fix it correctly with the correct information so I know what I am doing is right.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2023, 09:58:51 PM »
Thankyou Bob yes am aware that it is as a result of the ownership of someone else. I am hoping that someone can give me info of what the correct earthing points would be. From what I have researched so far I believe only one cable should run from the negative terminal to somewhere on the engine block and there may be a second thinner cable that runs from the back of the block and earths somewhere on the firewall.
The negative battery cable grounds at the large bolt on the pass side front upper portion of the block (under where the head bolts ). The alternator harness grounds at the same bolt. There is also a secondary ground strap that has a screw connecting it at the firewall and other end is bolted to the back of the head pass side. If you had the electrical assembly manual it would show illustrations of both. It is a good investment IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline mwizz

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2023, 10:23:07 PM »
The negative battery cable grounds at the large bolt on the pass side front upper portion of the block (under where the head bolts ). The alternator harness grounds at the same bolt. There is also a secondary ground strap that has a screw connecting it at the firewall and other end is bolted to the back of the head pass side. If you had the electrical assembly manual it would show illustrations of both. It is a good investment IMO.

Excellent thank you Bob very much appreciated