Author Topic: 1969 instrument cluster  (Read 1807 times)

Offline chassisman5

1969 instrument cluster
« on: April 24, 2011, 01:01:58 AM »
I'm having trouble with a new circuit board that goes on the back of the cluster. I've tried 3 new circuit boards and I can't get them to work. I can use a old circuit board and the gauges work, then I put a new circuit board on and the gauges won't even move. Now after trying the last new board, I can't get  anything to work at all, not even with the old circuit board on the cluster. I've checked the voltage going into the regulator and I have 3.25 volts and .4 volts coming out. Has anyone had a problem with the reproduction circuit boards? Is this the right amount of volts for the regulator?

Thanks

Offline Aussiemach

• Silver Level Subscriber
Re: 1969 instrument cluster
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 08:27:21 AM »
could be wrong here but i think the regulator puts out 7 volts ?? can someone confirm??
1969 Mach 1 351w FMX Built in San Jose, February 26 1969

Offline Carl

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 07:36:23 PM »
Something's not right.  Both on voltage in and voltage out.  Voltage in to the board is 12-13.5V DC, cleanly measured by a decent multimeter, as it is straight juice from the harness.
If you're using an original instrument panel voltage regulator, rather than one of the new solid state units, the voltage cycles from 0-12, giving a sort of averaged 5V signal.  Pretty goofy, but a digital multimeter has a hard time giving you an accurate measurement because of the cycling.  The old "mechanical" IVR's use a bi-metal strip that heats up when connected, causing it to deflect and break the circuit.  As it cools down, it reconnects, until it heats up and deflects, ad infinitum, hence the on/off 0v/12V output.  Most digital multimeters have a damping function to smooth the voltage readout, the damping gives very low readings as for the output.  Old needle style units will usually show the pulsing, and the actual voltage out.
Alternately, if you put a test light on the signal out from the IVR, an old mechanical style will visibly pulse on and off.  If it pulses bright, your IVR is working.
First step I'd take is to throw away any old style IVR, and put in a new style solid state.  Period.  Every old bimetal IVR I've bought in the last several years didn't work, or failed very shortly after being put in.  The solid state units have been reliable for me.
As far as the circuit board, they are easy to check out continuity of the traces.  If there's continuity, the only other problem can be grounding between a trace and the instrument cluster case.  Make sure the instruments themselves are properly centered, so that the posts don't touch the case, and that all the insulators are in place, there should be no problems.  I've used several repro circuits, have yet to have a problem with one.

Carl

Offline chassisman5

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 12:37:50 AM »
Thanks for the help. I found out that the gauge posts were grounding to the case.

Offline Carl

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 09:58:11 PM »
Glad to hear you got it.  Most of my frustration has been as a result of the odd function of the old style IVR (can you tell?)

Carl