Author Topic: ignition buzzer  (Read 3448 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: ignition buzzer
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2023, 04:08:29 PM »
Where should I look? Not very technical.

Take or get a electric tester. Can just be a simple one with a bulb that lights up

Get a wiring diagram, test to see if the buzzer is getting electricity when the conditions are correct. If not follow that wire back to the source until you find power. This should locate or narrow down the source of the issue.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline silverelvis69

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2023, 08:26:02 PM »
Checked the door jam of left drivers side...I noticed it was a 2 pin but the pig tail socket may have had a 3 prong (cut off) to make the 2 pin switch fit and work.
Could this be the issue as to why this buzzer is not working?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2023, 09:02:27 PM by carlite65 »
1970 Mach1 351 Cleaveland 4V-V8
San Jose built
11/69
Mustang mach1 2-door sports roof
Dark ivy green metallic
FMX select shift automatic transmission.
Ps A/c

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2023, 10:38:14 PM »
Checked the door jam of left drivers side...I noticed it was a 2 pin but the pig tail socket may have had a 3 prong (cut off) to make the 2 pin switch fit and work.

Does the disconnected third wire match the color coding in the wire diagram?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2023, 12:32:48 AM »
Indeed, that is the case.  Your missing wire is a red-colored wire.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline cobrajet_carl

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2023, 02:51:09 PM »
If you remove the ignition cylinder you will see if it has the contact switch for the buzzer or not.
Carl
70 and 71 Dearborn mach Is

Offline silverelvis69

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2023, 02:21:03 AM »
Thanks..Getting some help from a friend to help me sort. I am not too technical and will keep you posted. In the mean time.
I will upload wiring incase for future ref for the next guy.
Appreciate all you help and patience with me.
San Jose built
11/69
Dark ivy green metallic
Ps A/c

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2023, 03:55:34 AM »
Well This sux

After 2 months wait - igniition buzzer arrived.

Plugged it in.

Not working?

Where should I look? Not very technical.

A few things to check...

Check your door switch.  Make sure you have the right style ~ mine has 4 wires (courtesy lights, key buzzer, headlights on buzzer and ground), but your diagram looks like just 3 wires.  My own buzzer is somewhat temperamental and will only buzz when it feels like it.  I'm pretty sure it's cuz of the door switch needing cleaned / adjusted internally, again.

Use a multi-meter and do a resistance check on your "new" buzzer relay.  It's possible you got a bad one, despite it being "NOS".  My own buzzer had a bad connection inside the relay itself and required a tiny dab of solder to reconnect it properly.

Check the switch inside the column and the wiring for that switch.  You'll have to pull the steering wheel to get to the switch itself.  It should have a black wire that feeds down the same harness as the turn signal switch and joins into the turn signal switch connector.  So make sure that wire is where it's supposed to be and is connected properly (mine was cut and folded over when I bought my car ~ likely the PO didn't care for the buzzing!).

~ My Cougar has an early October build date and all of the buzzer components were in place, just none of it was working properly!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2023, 04:01:20 AM by Mike_B_SVT »
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2023, 11:49:30 AM »
Your door switch is actually 3 lines, some have 2 wires.  There is no ground wire.  There's the green/yellow fused BATT power signal, the black/blue courtesy light signal, and the red door open for buzzer signal. 
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline silverelvis69

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2023, 04:46:32 AM »
Thanks very much fellas!!!
All sorted!

The purchased buzzer 1. WAS FAULTY( would you believe it????) It was by accident that I tapped it to get a little buz.

And yes my left door switch was the wrong one. IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN A 3 PIN SWITCH.
I remember the courtesy light would not come on (unless it pulled the toggle out slightly (must have been sticky) and purchased another switch (2  prong) and made it work by cutting the 3rd prong to get it to fit.

26 months later - It came back to haunt me as I wanted to get the buzzer in.

In the meantime I am trying to get a refund of "this so called NOS FAULTY BUZZER) and ended up installing a small electronic buzzer to that lead to get things going in the meantime
Being in Australia (I could not be bothered waiting for this part to come (ebay first shipment went missing and he sent the 2nd buzzer  which ended up being faulty in the end).

I thank you all for your help and Hope this info will save someone down the track!

I must admit - I am loving the buzzer sound - Just because it was back in the day... perhaps over time it will annoy me but I think no  (with a smile :)

Thanks again!

Alex
« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 08:55:29 AM by carlite65 »
San Jose built
11/69
Dark ivy green metallic
Ps A/c

Offline silverelvis69

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2023, 06:48:39 AM »
A few things to check...

Check your door switch.  Make sure you have the right style ~ mine has 4 wires (courtesy lights, key buzzer, headlights on buzzer and ground), but your diagram looks like just 3 wires.  My own buzzer is somewhat temperamental and will only buzz when it feels like it.  I'm pretty sure it's cuz of the door switch needing cleaned / adjusted internally, again.

Use a multi-meter and do a resistance check on your "new" buzzer relay.  It's possible you got a bad one, despite it being "NOS".  My own buzzer had a bad connection inside the relay itself and required a tiny dab of solder to reconnect it properly.

Check the switch inside the column and the wiring for that switch.  You'll have to pull the steering wheel to get to the switch itself.  It should have a black wire that feeds down the same harness as the turn signal switch and joins into the turn signal switch connector.  So make sure that wire is where it's supposed to be and is connected properly (mine was cut and folded over when I bought my car ~ likely the PO didn't care for the buzzing!).

~ My Cougar has an early October build date and all of the buzzer components were in place, just none of it was working properly!

Thanks for the FANTASTIC PHOTOS!!!!!

Yes - Mine is a 3 wire (not convenience group. You mentioned 4 so I take is that is for the lights relay maybe?
Thats exactly what happend? Door switch was sticky and I purchased a 2 pin (not knowing better)

So easy to pull aprt to clean/?

AND NOS BUZZER faulty...Semi works when I tap it. What part exactly did you re-solder on that relay?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 06:57:08 AM by silverelvis69 »
San Jose built
11/69
Dark ivy green metallic
Ps A/c