Author Topic: Mustang Trunk Letters  (Read 899 times)

Offline rcgt350

Mustang Trunk Letters
« on: April 20, 2023, 05:06:21 PM »
Are the Mustang Trunk Letters the same piece from 67-70 ?
I?ve been looking at the Ford MPC, but would like clarification on it. They have a C5ZZ number on the back of the letters, but we?re they used on 65/66 cars too?
1967 GT 350 W White
1970 Boss 302 GG Restoration in progress
2012 Boss 302 C Orange
1930 Ford Model A 4 Door Deluxe Town Sedan

Online jwc66k

Re: Mustang Trunk Letters
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2023, 08:28:22 PM »
The same Ford design part numbers are called out on both the "1966 Mustang Body Assembly Manual" (AM0011 pg 30) and the "1970 Mustang Body Assembly Manual" (AM0031 pg 50) so I would assume the service replacement number would be valid.
If you do not have a set of 1970 Mustang assembly Manual, I would strongly recommend you get a set.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline rcgt350

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2023, 01:23:24 AM »
Yes I have the 70? Body Assembly Manual, very similar information as the MPC gives.
 As I?m not as familiar with 65/66 cars, I?m just assuming that the individual letters were used on them too? I haven?t seen them on the trunk lid from browsing through pictures so far, but could they be the ones used on each side of the fenders in a GT application?
Randy
1967 GT 350 W White
2012 Boss 302 C Orange

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2023, 02:48:18 AM »
65 to 70 they are the same....they just werent always used on the trunk but they are the same C5 part numbers and same letters.  Then starting in 71 they had the letters with the stick on adhesive on the back which are the same as previous years except for the way they are attached. 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Online jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2023, 04:12:20 PM »
Yes I have the 70? Body Assembly Manual, very similar information as the MPC gives.
 As I?m not as familiar with 65/66 cars, -- but could they be the ones used on each side of the fenders in a GT application?
Yes.
Believe the books. But remember that "Ford Car Parts" (aka MPC) lists service replacement items, something that will work, but may not be what was originally installed on the assembly line.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline rcgt350

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2023, 01:59:02 PM »
So is it safe to say that letters with C5ZB on the back are original Assembly Line pieces?
Would NOS or Service parts still carry that cast in number or not at all?
1967 GT 350 W White
2012 Boss 302 C Orange

Online jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2023, 04:29:29 PM »
So is it safe to say that letters with C5ZB on the back are original Assembly Line pieces?
Would NOS or Service parts still carry that cast in number or not at all?
You just stumbled into the dirty little secret of the Ford numbering system. The C5ZB-16D0042-A thru G numbers cast into the backs of the (MUSTANG) letters are the real honest to goodness Ford part numbers. There is a Ford document (or documents) that tells how to make, in this case - cast, each letter and, even more important, how to mark them. That Ford document is often called the "engineering document" (phrases also used are "engineering drawing" and "engineering part"). To be "legitimate" a Ford trademark must/should be present as well. (This Ford document may, or may not, indicate the next higher assembly - the uses.) The service number, formatted C5ZZ (the last "Z" indicates it's a Ford Service STOCK NUMBER) -16098-E thru L (no letter "I"), is nothing more than a sheet of paper (or computer entry in today's world) that says "USE C5ZB-16D042-xx" (for which ever letter is required) to make the part.
Now you know.
Jim

Offline rcgt350

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2023, 03:07:49 AM »
Jim
 Thankyou for taking the time to explain these intricate details, it?s great to have people like yourself to give us the Grit and yes, now I know .
1967 GT 350 W White
2012 Boss 302 C Orange

Online jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2023, 12:59:01 PM »
Thank you for taking the time to explain these intricate details, it's great to have people like yourself to give us the Grit and yes, now I know .
One of the objectives, ostensively, of this forum, is to educate its members about Mustangs, how they were built and how they were supported by dealers after they were sold. The last part is where we are. There are no more new 64 thru 73 Mustangs showing up at dealers, so you must play the role of the guy behind the parts counter. You should know the "Ford system". In most cases, there is no short answer about what is correct, what was normally done or where do you get that last "elusive" part. Good Luck.
Jim