Author Topic: 1970 instrument cluster interior bezel color  (Read 1752 times)

Offline HDAshmore

1970 instrument cluster interior bezel color
« on: March 05, 2023, 08:55:39 PM »
Team,

1970 Dearborn Mach 1.  The plastic bezels inside the instrument clusters drivers' side and clock on passenger side.  Between the instruments themselves and the lens.  They are some sort of midnight/dark bluish black, I think?  Can anyone point me in the right direction for the correct color of paint, where to get that paint etc.?

Thanks,
Dan in Kansas

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1970 instrument cluster interior bezel color
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2023, 11:20:10 PM »
Most just use a egg shell or sightly less black for this purpose. Originally it did have a blue tint when sprayed thin (like the factory hood black out used in 69) that built to black with more paint.

Similar question and answer in the thread below

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=2159.msg10941#msg10941

Just happen to have a picture showing the effect and the look when shot very thin. In this case overspray from the inside application. Guessing this is what you've seen also

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2023, 02:38:46 PM »
J,

Thanks.

I see the black overspray on the back of my bezels to.  However, the inside of all the bezels are a drastically different color.  It has a blue hue to it.  Am I missing something or does the black on the inside of the bezels turn blue over 50 years' worth of gauge lighting and fading or is it actually a different color?  I want to paint them as you can see they are splotchy, but I don't want to find out after re-assembly that I got it wrong.

Thanks again,
Dan

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2023, 08:49:13 PM »
If you watch Kindig Customs, you'll know that there is no such thing as a standard black and it's likely that this black was made with blue tones, which is then highlighted when it is over sprayed. Its possible that Ford didn't want the are 'too' black to make the gauge pod are too dark, as it wouldn't be reflective at night (lighting is poor at the best of times). A good idea is talk to instrument restorers as this thing may have been common back them.
Brad

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2023, 11:41:21 AM »
Bradley,

Thanks, hope all is well down under.  Yes I thought of calling a few.  I knew all blacks and whites etc.  We're not the same and tinting happens.  I was hoping there was an off the shelf rattle can or paint code answer to my question.  I also know paint fades to different hues but being it's so protected inside the instrument cluster I was leaning towards it is probably some special color blackish blue.  It's not a barn burner so I have time to get it right.

Cheers,
Dan

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2023, 11:48:00 AM »
I see a reference to a graphite color? 

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2023, 05:57:20 PM »
A friend sent me this from the Grabber Forum and it states the color for the deluxe interior instrument insert pieces is a Blue Gray and the standard is black.  Does anyone know the blue gray color mix formula or rattle can equivalent?

Thanks again,
Dan

Offline Wills70

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2023, 09:59:38 AM »
option - looks close , these are definetily not just black faded , tachman restores these but dout he would tell you
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71mXw6cNmBL._AC_SX569_.jpg
« Last Edit: April 01, 2023, 10:05:01 AM by Wills70 »

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2023, 11:18:14 PM »
Wills70,

Thank you for the option and response.

I will get a can and spray some tests

Dan

Offline Wills70

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2023, 02:56:25 AM »
Please share youre findings and thoughts , maybe a first coat of flat black the a dusting of the blue?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 02:59:08 AM by Wills70 »

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2023, 12:09:00 AM »
Will do.  Thanks again

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2023, 09:37:52 PM »
I bought the rattle can and can see by the lid it is too blue.  but I will spray and post samples.  I am going to try to take a piece to get analyzed for paint match and see if I can get a pint and tint to match.  Work in progress.  Words of wisdom, the wife's dishwasher is a great parts cleaner when she is gone for a while, however, don't use on parts you're looking to match paint until after you get the right paint.  And make sure she is gone long enough to get parts oout before you get caught.

Thanks,
Dan in Kansas

Offline Wills70

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2023, 10:28:55 AM »
online color photos can be deceptive ,  please keep us posted with your findings .
 You speak true words of wisdom Dan !

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2023, 06:22:09 PM »
No worries, I'm going to post test pics soon.  Been swamped with life so haven't got to it yet.  I bought test panels, paint etc..just need to get it done.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2023, 11:54:44 PM »
No worries, I'm going to post test pics soon.  Been swamped with life so haven't got to it yet.  I bought test panels, paint etc..just need to get it done.

Wonder if you would get the desired results by using the 69 Hood black out treatment paint since it applied and provided the same results as we have documented. Bluish base to a black. If I had a need I think I might try that. Good luck with your tests
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)