Author Topic: Colour Top Firewall/Cowl - 70 Dearborn  (Read 646 times)

Offline Danymichy

• '70 Dearborn 250 1V
Colour Top Firewall/Cowl - 70 Dearborn
« on: March 04, 2023, 03:12:50 AM »
Hi, in a few days I will start painting my 70 Dearborne, is the top of the firewall black like the engine compartment or is it the body colour? I see both versions on theoretically original cars...
Is the part under the front glass (where the wiper motor is housed) black or the color of the car?
Thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 02:24:38 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline Danymichy

• '70 Dearborn 250 1V
Re: Colour Top Firewall/Cowl - 70 Dearborn
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2023, 03:48:01 AM »
I update my request hopefully in a clearer way.... Sorry....

Hi, I'm starting to paint my 70 Dearborn in a few days, is the hood and wiper motor housing black or body colour?
I've seen threads on this topic but they were for Boss NJ... Does the all black rule apply to mine too?
Does the part between the windshield and the dashboard also have to be black?
Thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 02:24:46 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2023, 02:23:32 PM »
Since your asking the question I guess that the car has been repaired or repainted at some point so you have lost the original paint references on your car.

Hi, I'm starting to paint my 70 Dearborn in a few days, is the hood and wiper motor housing black or body colour?

Not sure if your asking about the hood of the car or what could be called the hood over the wiper motor. If your focusing on the wiper with covering we would need to know if your building a Mach I or not

I've seen threads on this topic but they were for Boss NJ... Does the all black rule apply to mine too?
Does the part between the windshield and the dashboard also have to be black?
Thanks for your help.

Yes this is a pattern the plants changed to in approximately mid 69 production that applied black paint over body color from the pinch weld (firewall to cowl) to the windshield opening as illustrated on the unrestored pictures of 70 Mustangs in the Unrestored Picture thread. Though you can't see below the cowl cover.

Here are some additional Dearborn examples

The picture below was used in another conversation and was marked with an arrow to show the position of a piece of tape used to attach the masked used at the plant to the car during painting

« Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 02:30:33 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Danymichy

• '70 Dearborn 250 1V
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2023, 06:03:44 PM »
I tried to be clearer in my second message.  Actually I would like to know the color of the hood up to the dashboard.  Mine is a Sportsroof 250 1v, finished assembling in Dearborn on June 3, 1970, I bought it that had already been repainted and I have no references on how it should be.  I would like to know if from the pinch welding of the engine compartment to the dashboard it was born black or yellow like the body color.  Also, should the engine radiator be gloss or semi-gloss black like the engine bay?  Thanks for your help

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2023, 07:15:53 PM »
I tried to be clearer in my second message.  Actually I would like to know the color of the hood up to the dashboard.  Mine is a Sportsroof 250 1v, finished assembling in Dearborn on June 3, 1970, I bought it that had already been repainted and I have no references on how it should be.

Sorry. Since the "hood" does not go to the dashboard it's a bit confusing for me. There is a cowl cover over the cowl that is between the back edge of the hood and the base of the windshield opening. As I posted above the black from the engine compartment continued up and into the passenger compartment over the lip at the base of the windshield opening and that small thin lip the dash pad attaches to.

I would like to know if from the pinch welding of the engine compartment to the dashboard it was born black or yellow like the body color. 

If I'm at the right location on the unibody the area was painted body color but then covered with black when the engine compartment black was applied

Color/Paint for the interior would have been applied to the A pillars as well as door bottoms if the car had standard interior, prior to the exterior color being applied

Also, should the engine radiator be gloss or semi-gloss black like the engine bay?  Thanks for your help

This is covered in a number of other threads but basically originally painted with black lacquer that would produce a glossy finish but once heated and cooled a number of times the amount of surface glass reduces producing a lower gloss look. Often similar to the engine compartment amount of gloss IMO
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Danymichy

• '70 Dearborn 250 1V
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2023, 06:16:19 PM »
Ok :)
Thanks a lot for your answer!!