Author Topic: Radiator Support and Hood Lock Support Bolt Finish  (Read 454 times)

Offline alanmac

Radiator Support and Hood Lock Support Bolt Finish
« on: February 01, 2023, 01:46:06 PM »
Hi all,  I am getting ready to have some components and bolts zinc plated and want to make sure I have the correct plating.  There are two bolts for the 24" radiator top support.  The body assembly manual states they are 57041-S2 phosphate finish. Also the two top bolts on the hood lock support assembly are 57039-S2.  These part numbers are also called out on the 69-70 hardware excel spreadsheet.  I have seen a number of cars with zinc plated bolts in these locations.  AMK also lists them as zinc.  Is Phosphate correct?  I appreciate any insight into this. 

Alan     
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 03:24:12 PM by alanmac »
1970 Mustang Mach 1
351W Shaker Hood
Built at Metuchen
1 of 186 with these paint/trim codes
Build Date: October 7, 1969
0T1190xx
Dealer: Maguires Garage Inc. Duncannon PA

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Radiator Support and Hood Lock Support Bolt Finish
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2023, 07:37:01 PM »
Were the cars you've seen unrestored or "restored" ones?  Also were you looking at only NJ cars or just pictures in magazines or on the web where they often don't include that information?

Looking at unrestored 70 NJ examples it appears that the two pairs were often different finishes.

Here is an example from likely just before your car was built with P&O finish on the outer and zinc or cad on the inner bolts. Have a few others through the first half or so of production with zinc showing on inner bolt heads also. Picture was posted in another thread on this site at some point

0T112xxx Hope this helps

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline alanmac

Re: Radiator Support and Hood Lock Support Bolt Finish
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2023, 08:03:59 PM »
Thanks Jeff, That looks like a good example.  I am looking at the unrestored pictures of the orange Metuchen H code Mach1 and it looks like it has P&O on all four bolts.  But a closer look, it has a 24" radiator and being a 2V and no AC I think it would have the 16" radiator.  So maybe the rad was swapped out and the bolts changed? Or maybe they are just dirty corroded bolts? Alan   
1970 Mustang Mach 1
351W Shaker Hood
Built at Metuchen
1 of 186 with these paint/trim codes
Build Date: October 7, 1969
0T1190xx
Dealer: Maguires Garage Inc. Duncannon PA