Author Topic: 70 AC Condenser  (Read 582 times)

Offline Angela

70 AC Condenser
« on: January 10, 2023, 11:53:34 AM »
Does anyone have a picture of an original AC condenser mounted in a 1970? While trying to reverse "cobbling" by previous owners, I've become confused as to:
(a) Exactly what the original condenser looks like
(b) How the original condenser mounts to the core support without impacting the location of the horns
(c) What the assembly line changed in the driver's side of the core support to allow the AC hoses to pass through. I believe they drilled two overlapping holes using existing dimples in the sheet metal. However, did they debur and touch up the paint?
(d) Did the expansion cylinder have a mounting tab which screwed to the condenser, -or-, was the mounting tab affixed to the condenser and the tank screwed to that tab?

Thanks!
Application is 1970 Mach 1 built at Dearborn October '69

Offline jwc66k

Re: 70 AC Condenser
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2023, 01:03:16 PM »
Did you look in the "1970 Mustang Electrical Assembly Manual" (AM0033, pg 63)?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Angela

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2023, 03:08:00 PM »
Thanks Jim, yes I did. My copy is so poor I cannot discern much from that page. I am hoping that an actual photo of a car would help me.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2023, 03:56:00 PM »
Did you look in the unrestored pictures area? 

This one has some good pictures - did not check them all though.  https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=21828.0
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2023, 06:57:23 PM »
My copy is so poor I cannot discern much from that page. I am hoping that an actual photo of a car would help me.
Try this copy. I "fixed" the blurred Ford part numbers for item 1.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2023, 09:04:55 PM »
Does anyone have a picture of an original AC condenser mounted in a 1970? While trying to reverse "cobbling" by previous owners, I've become confused as to:
(a) Exactly what the original condenser looks like

Don't have an original out of a car or from a factory kit in a picture

(b) How the original condenser mounts to the core support without impacting the location of the horns

In 67 they started using a spacer that mounts between the horn and the radiator support to "space" the horn out, away and around the condenser. Will post a picture

(c) What the assembly line changed in the driver's side of the core support to allow the AC hoses to pass through. I believe they drilled two overlapping holes using existing dimples in the sheet metal. However, did they debur and touch up the paint?

Believe the two hole then the trimming is what is typically shown in the dealer installed AC kits or at least where I've seen that before.

Not sure of how exactly, step by step assembly line workers cut the hole but believe the hole was made before the body was painted do no bare steel edge or reason to need a "touch up". They knew which cars/bodies would be getting AC at the start of the build. Not something that was altered typically part way through.  Firewall modification would have been done before paint also

(d) Did the expansion cylinder have a mounting tab which screwed to the condenser, -or-, was the mounting tab affixed to the condenser and the tank screwed to that tab?

Believe, we can look at pictures, that the bracket is tack/spot welded to the dryer and it in turn is attached to the condenser with two hex head screws. You can see the style I'm describing in one of the pictures posted in the thread 67gta289 included in his post above. 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 10:44:42 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2023, 10:43:18 PM »
Some pictures

Two different Dearborn examples with AC showing the driver side horn spacer. Not unusual for these to not get replaced after the horns were removed and replaced. Horn can be bent to clear the AC parts though that is not how the factory did it. BTW at least one of these was built the same month as your car.

The attaching crew for the dryer to condenser attaching. Hex with a slotted head style.

Wider shot of that general area also showing the welded on bracket for the dryer mount

For others that will view this thread

The head markings of the condenser attaching screw from a San Jose built car

Couple of shots of the cut out on the drivers side of the radiator support

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2023, 06:38:37 PM »
I have a 1970 NOS AC condenser in a ford box.  It will be a few days or more before I can dig it out.  I will take a pic and send to you.  Not sure if NOS replacement is exactly the same as assembly line?

Dan

Online krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2023, 08:20:34 PM »
Two from my Cougar wrecking yard. Showing a couple 1970 Mercury Cougars all Dearborn built. One picture shows a non-A/C radiator core support with knockout not removed.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A