Author Topic: Narrow Grille Trim Clips  (Read 871 times)

Offline dkknab

Narrow Grille Trim Clips
« on: January 06, 2023, 08:36:10 PM »
I'm cleaning up my grille trim. The narrow portion that surrounds the wider argent colored piece uses four clips to attach the pieces .  I've broken all of my clips and have ordered some new ones.  Not sure how they install on the thin trim piece as they look odd.  Does anyone have pictures of the clips installed in the trim?
David Knab

1968 Sunlit Gold Coupe Sprint B
289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior
April 5, 1968 Build Date, Metuchen Plant

2019 Bullitt Highland Green K7662

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Narrow Grille Trim Clips
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2023, 06:31:17 PM »
Just slip each in the thin trim from the back side. I insert it so that the arm of the t bolt with the spring is up and to the right once installed so that it compensates for the rotation of the nut and possibly the shaft when installing. Then I tuck the spring into the recess to hold it in place. Starting from the outer ends I hold the trim up to the grill opening and adjust the first slip so that the end of the trim is where I want it and the stud lines up to the hole. Then install the next clip and adjust like the first and then the rest in order. Once all installed and adjusted I install the trim, the nuts and tighten it into place then do the other side. Sorry don't have a section of the trim at home to show the clips in place and installed in the trim

Hope this helps

Hardware in the picture is just reproduction stuff
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline dkknab

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2023, 08:29:05 PM »
Thanks for the description.  That helps.  Makes sense now that the spring piece works to tighten the stud in the trim as you tighten the nut.

My nuts are not the same as the ones in your picture or what I've seen in other places.  Are they the nuts that are in my picture?
David Knab

289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2023, 10:27:35 PM »
Thanks for the description.  That helps.  Makes sense now that the spring piece works to tighten the stud in the trim as you tighten the nut.

My nuts are not the same as the ones in your picture or what I've seen in other places.  Are they the nuts that are in my picture?

I don't recall the sheet metal speed nuts on any of my 68s in that location. Wonder if the NOS/service replacements used them. Maybe a couple of the 68 guys can share their observations.

Picture I posted is from an unrestored later Dearborn 68 and the unplayed with 68 I got (spring San Jose ) also has those thicker style nuts like in the picture. Other 68 I currently have I would not trust for details 
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2023, 07:27:05 PM »

The nuts in your picture look like they are the type specified in the "1968 Mustang Body Assembly Manual" (AM0021 pgs 11 and 12) as Ford part number, 375942-S36 with a sealer (ref AMK Products Guide To Ford Fasteners, pg 215). That nut part number is also specified in the 1968 Ford Car Parts (aka MPC), Illustration Section 160 pg 34. The stud part in the trim piece may be vendor supplied as part of the trim.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline dkknab

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2023, 07:58:37 PM »
When I search that part number I come up with this item from npd made by amk that looks like my nuts.  I'm guessing in fact this is what I need.

I went back and looked at the assembly manual on the pages identified and curious it states 3 of these connectors and nuts are required though clearly it shows there are 4 total on each side.

And the S36 finish is zinc dichromate so I'm assuming they should be the gold color too,  as pictured on the npd site.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 08:35:23 PM by dkknab »
David Knab

289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2023, 08:55:50 PM »
Yes those appear to be the same stamped sheet metal nuts I had in my picture though IMHO they do not match the originals.
Jeff Speegle

Offline dkknab

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2023, 08:24:34 PM »
I received one trim piece and connectors today. The one picture shows the black connector that's like the one I took of my car.  The gold connectors appear to be more correct.  The second picture shows how I think the connectors go into the trim.  Thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 08:31:53 PM by dkknab »
David Knab

289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior

Offline DTruitt

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2023, 01:24:18 PM »
IMO the reproduction stuff is junk! I brought the need of this hardware to the attention of Max at AMK Products and he started researching the factory hardware and the possibility of offering the correct hardware.  We had a few conversations and I supplied him with the used part about 18 months- 2 years ago.  I never followed up with him to see if he carried through with production because I located enough NOS fasteners to fulfill my immediate need.

I would suggest calling him to see if it is now offered.  Maybe if he received some calls on it he would see the interest and pursue production...if he hasn't already.

Danny
1968 Raven Black, S- Code, 4 spd., GT Fastback, San Jose, March 1968
1968 Candy Apple Red, J- Code, C-4, GT Convertable, San Jose, April 1968 (SOLD)
1968 Raven Black, R- Code, 4 spd., GT Coupe, Dearborn, April 1968
MCA Gold Card Judge

Offline dkknab

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2023, 03:21:44 PM »
Will do. 

Danny, did you happened to look at my picture with the gold colored connectors? They went in nicely to my trim piece.  I'm wondering if they are the more correct version.  Do you have a picture you could share here,?
David Knab

289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior

Offline DTruitt

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2023, 10:03:52 PM »
Will do. 

Danny, did you happened to look at my picture with the gold colored connectors? They went in nicely to my trim piece.  I'm wondering if they are the more correct version.  Do you have a picture you could share here,?

David,
I don't have access right now to post pictures for you! Sorry!
1968 Raven Black, S- Code, 4 spd., GT Fastback, San Jose, March 1968
1968 Candy Apple Red, J- Code, C-4, GT Convertable, San Jose, April 1968 (SOLD)
1968 Raven Black, R- Code, 4 spd., GT Coupe, Dearborn, April 1968
MCA Gold Card Judge