Author Topic: 67 Oil Filter  (Read 1362 times)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
67 Oil Filter
« on: December 27, 2022, 01:24:55 PM »
On the Facebook forum were some questions about the oil filters for various years.

Since I have a 67 I gather my oil filter should be 67 Ford blue and that it is a supplier pre-painted item to match the engine color for this year.
According to the Martha and the Vandellas video -- which shows a black filter that matches the block color of this earlier year -- there is stencil on the filter.
On edit after the comments below I've edited this post to update the findings. I see that the stencil did not continue in 67.
I gather 67 would also have a stencil.

Is there a picture of the stencil so that I can replicate it? I gather the stencil may indicate the part number for a replacement so there may be a 6 cyl, small block and big block stencil.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 06:09:30 PM by Bossbill »
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx Boss 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 67 Oil Filter
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2022, 03:33:05 PM »
On the Facebook forum were some questions about the oil filters for various years.

Since I have a 67 I gather my oil filter should be 67 Ford blue and that it is a supplier pre-painted item to match the engine color for this year.
According to the Martha and the Vandellas video -- which shows a black filter that matches the block color of this earlier year -- there is stencil on the filter.
I gather 67 would also have a stencil.

Is there a picture of the stencil so that I can replicate it? I gather the stencil may indicate the part number for a replacement so there may be a 6 cyl, small block and big block stencil.
The 67 assemblyine filter was typically engine blue with the exception of the crimped edge closest to the engine side. The filter appeared to have the outer housing already painted before it was assembled with its insides and screw on base. It was the double crimped fluted style and the top side end was embossed the Autolite trademark .  There was no stencil like the black 65 filter. Instead of the 65 stencil sometimes there is a yellow date code stamp or series of numbers. I think I still have one stored away smuggled out of the Dearborn . The term used was lunch pail parts which described the typical way they left the premises undetected. Ron Charney RIP was well know to frequent local Dearborn yard sales where he found many parts along with local ads advertising that he bought those kinds of items.FYI SB and BB used the same filter.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 03:35:27 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2022, 06:31:40 PM »

Since I have a 67 I gather my oil filter should be 67 Ford blue and that it is a supplier pre-painted item to match the engine color for this year...

...there may be a 6 cyl, small block and big block stencil.
All Ford passenger car & light trucks used the same filter.
*date coding varies
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2022, 07:32:22 PM »
I looked and the one I have is a single crimp Autolite which would be age appropriate for 68-70. I know I remember seeing a article that Bob Perkins did for Mustang Monthly that had some good pictures in case someone wants to go searching.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2022, 07:38:24 PM »
There was a good article in the October Mustang Times about a original K code engine. There is a good picture of the oil filter and stencil. 

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2022, 10:47:36 PM »
There was a good article in the October Mustang Times about a original K code engine. There is a good picture of the oil filter and stencil.
Although a good picture of a 66 filter the 67 filter has the Autolite embossed on the top of the filter . Consequently it is problematic to trust that the details are the same on the different 67 filter. I just haven't seen that same stencil on the 67 assemblyline filters .

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2022, 11:21:36 PM »
I think the only BBF I've owned was my F250 Camper Special, waaaay back when.
It used the same filter, huh? Ok then...

I bought a number of the double fluted filters when I heard about this last year.

Bob -- when you say "the top of the filter" are you referring to the closed end? Is it just the AUTOLITE in caps or does it have a border? Color of the lettering? Approximate size?

Bill

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2022, 11:32:09 PM »
I think the only BBF I've owned was my F250 Camper Special, waaaay back when.
It used the same filter, huh? Ok then...

I bought a number of the double fluted filters when I heard about this last year.

Bob -- when you say "the top of the filter" are you referring to the closed end? Is it just the AUTOLITE in caps or does it have a border? Color of the lettering? Approximate size?
Closed end has Autolite embossed into the metal. It is covered in blue like the rest of the filter. You could possibly make a mold if you are thinking of transferring something to the repro smooth top double fluted filter. It is the same Autolite trademark that the later single flute Autolite filters had on the 68-70 versions. I thought they made a repro double fluted 67 Autolite filter with the embossed end but maybe I am mistaken.

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2022, 12:15:08 AM »
You did say embossed previously, but I missed that due to viewing this on my phone. Sorry.
I'll check the filters I have since it's been some time.
Bill

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2022, 03:43:38 PM »
Thinks its best, as suggested, that we don't mix 65-66 details (different color and markings) with other years. In this case 67 but yes agree that the stencil was a early 60's thing that started before 64 and continued to 1966 production

To illustrate some of the details here is an example of one that was painted and labled for sale over the counter. Same base filter just not painted blue like the assembly line ones. Right now could not find any assembly line pictures of the filter on an engine though we have the same filter and process showing on 68's in other threads

« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 03:56:15 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2022, 05:24:50 PM »
You did say embossed previously, but I missed that due to viewing this on my phone. Sorry.
I'll check the filters I have since it's been some time.
Yes I checked and confirmed that the Autolite repros when they were available came with the double crimped flutes and the embossed Autolite on the top (closed end). Ironically the repro MFG marked the box 67-73 even though the highly visible double fluted end was only used through 67 and maybe early 68 production. The filters appearance evolved to a single crimped fluted end with the embossed Autolite after that. That later 68-73 filter has never been correctly reproduced.

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2022, 06:06:36 PM »
Excellent. Thanks to Jeff and Bob I have verified that the versions I have in stock have the raised letters as noted in the pics above.
Since the assy line never had the silk screened logo and such I'll lightly sand the sides smooth and apply some engine paint.
I'll leave the crimp area white. Uh oh. Did I jump the shark on that detail?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 06:11:39 PM by Bossbill »
Bill

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2022, 06:25:21 PM »
Excellent. Thanks to Jeff and Bob I have verified that the versions I have in stock have the raised letters as noted in the pics above.
Since the assy line never had the silk screened logo and such I'll lightly sand the sides smooth and apply some engine paint.
I'll leave the crimp area white. Uh oh. Did I jump the shark on that detail?

Thanks!

Sounds like a plan. The whole filter will be blue once you get done. It started out as a blue filter but I think there can be a case made that that often or the vast amount of time there was enough paint applied during the engine paint process to get all of it coated so at this point would not add an unnecessary detail or trying to leave the end of a light mist of blue over spray over blue base paint.  Guns were flowing and paint was being applied to pretty much everything and anything that got in the way of that effort 
Jeff Speegle

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2022, 07:46:27 PM »
The 66 filter in that Mustang Times article was not fully painted with the engine blue. That is why the label was saved, the filter blue was slightly a different blue than the engine.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2022, 08:38:13 PM »
The 66 filter in that Mustang Times article was not fully painted with the engine blue. That is why the label was saved, the filter blue was slightly a different blue than the engine.

And why it was so unusual and different. The visible label. 

Abnormal findings are fun to discuss as are factory  mistakes but they can often influence some that want to make their cars stand out and be a conversation piece at shows or in pictures.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 08:54:01 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle