Author Topic: Deck lid weatherstrip picture  (Read 11061 times)

Offline Angela

Re: Deck lid weatherstrip picture
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 10:01:21 PM »
"sparky65" So are you saying you used a coupe seal for your fastback or you are just suggesting that as an idea?

Offline sparky65

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 11:43:20 PM »
"sparky65" So are you saying you used a coupe seal for your fastback or you are just suggesting that as an idea?
Nope I have a coupe, just suggesting the idea.
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2011, 10:37:42 AM »
correct me if i am wrong but were not those seals cut from a bulk roll of material??

Not on the assembly line. The length of the weatherstrip is a known constant for each year and model. They were precut to keep the assembly line efficient. In fact, nothing was trim after installation on the assembly line!

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline Angela

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2011, 10:50:56 AM »
Hi Pete. Thanks for commenting to the post concerning 1967 fastback deck lid weatherstip. If I understand you correctly, you're stating that:
(1) ALL coupes, convertibles and fastbacks from 65 through 68 used the same seal, cut from one huge roll, with the only difference being the length of the seal used for each body type. Is my understanding of your statements correct?
(2) You have never seen anything except the C5 "C-shaped" seal applied to a 67 or 68, correct?

---> If the above items are true, can you help me understand why it appears all of the mustang parts vendors are selling the trapezoidal seal, specifically for 67 and 68 fastbacks? I have
purchased two seals from two different vendors and both are identical and trapezoidal. I then called two more vendors and asked them to verify what they are selling before I placed yet
another order. Both responded that they too sell the trap-shaped seal for 67-68 fastbacks. I value your opinion; could you help shed some light on this? Do you think that I should
order the 65-66 fastback seal such that I obtain the C-shaped version?

Thanks!

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2011, 02:28:13 PM »
I'll state this one more time then let go of it. Fastbacks have a different seal than vert/coupe
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline Angela

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2011, 03:24:38 PM »
Tlea. Thanks. I'm confused; quoting Pete, "Yes I am 100% sure. Fastbacks did use a different seal; it was different by length, not by shape. Regards, Pete Morgan".

Are you in agreement with Pete in that they were different only in length, or do you believe the difference is more than simply length?

Can you tell me where you purchased your seal? As I stated, all vendors I have contacted sell only the trapezoidal shaped seal for 67 fastback. Apparently that's incorrect based on the responses in this thread. I don't know where else to look for the correct seal. If someone could point me to a vendor and a part number, that would help immensely.

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2011, 08:10:59 PM »
Yes I am saying it is a different shape. If it were the same as vert/coupe why wouldn't it be C0MY #? All the original fasttbacks I've taken apart had a seal thats shaped like a teardrop by the section. I curently only have the C0MY seals here as i am working on verts. Pretty sure the seals I've used in the past for fastbacks were the Carpenter ones.
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline Angela

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2011, 10:50:06 AM »
Gentlemen, one final attempt to summarize what I am hearing and what I am frustrated with. I will try to keep this short and concise:

(1) Charles, I was wrong, the assembly manual specifies C7ZB #'s (not C7ZZ). The 67 assembly manual indicates the C-shaped seal with the following PNs
   a) C7ZB-6543720 for body type 65,76 (coupe, convert)
   b) C7ZB-6343720 for body type 63 (fastback)

(2) Pete and others are asserting that ALL 67-68 mustangs, regardless of body type used the C-shaped seal (NO trapezoidal seal was used for 67-68).

(3) THE PROBLEM: in contrast to statement #2, above, I cannot find a single vendor, including Daniel Carpenter, selling a C-shaped seal for a 67 fastback.
   3a) Why would Carpenter and other vendors produce the trap-shaped seal for 67-68 fastback if it was never used for 67 fastback?
   3b) Where are you guys purchasing your C-shaped seals for 67 fastback? I have called six suppliers including NPD and Mansfield and none carry the
      C-shaped deck lid seal for 67 fastback. They all state the trap-shaped seal is correct and is what they carry.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2011, 12:06:20 PM »
Not sure if this helps any, but the 65-66 fastback trunk seals appeared to have originally been a thinner version of the normal 'C' shape seal.

Ford serviced the rear seal with the trapezoidal design, but that doesn't mean it was the same piece installed originally on the cars.  It's a well known fact that a lot of reproduction parts, past and present, were copied by using Ford service replacement parts as samples.  Believe the question can only be answered with certainty by looking at some original examples.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2011, 09:52:42 PM »
3a) Why would Carpenter and other vendors produce the trap-shaped seal for 67-68 fastback if it was never used for 67 fastback?

Because, like many, reproducers in years past choose to use service replacements (read NOS parts) as their patterns. Allot easier than trying to remove an original and in the 80-90's at least the general opinion was that NOS was as good as you could get.

We've learned much in years since that period but the reproducers continue to produce some parts that are very different from the assembly line parts because people buy them (exactly what one maker told me) and they are making their investment back on the cost of the mold and such
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gta289

Re: Deck lid weatherstrip picture - 67 fastback
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2011, 02:47:48 PM »
Here's a picture of a Dearborn built 67 fastback deck lid weatherstrip, Vin 7F02S209924.  I don't have proof that this is factory original but based on what I've seen of the car first hand I would say that it most likely is.  Also, since this is only one sample, we can't make broad brushed statements. 

It is trapezoidal.  1-1/8" in width, 9/16" in heigth, both measured while uncompressed.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2011, 01:26:47 PM »
I do not know if this pic applies as it is off an unrestored original owner June 68 Dearborn built fastback. I dont have any experiance with the trapizoidal weatherstrip so I cant tell which strip it is but maybe you can.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 06:57:10 PM by 68 S Code »

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2011, 06:09:11 PM »
The other style of strip mentioned is the "C" type.  Attached is a picture of the "C" type from my 67 FB deck lid.  Keep in mind that this was a Ford over the counter replacement that was available in 1981 or 1982 when the car was refreshed (not restored).  Unfortunately I did not keep a piece of the original, nor a picture.

If you have the "C" type you will be able to simply stretch or pull in a downward manner one side or the other anywhere along the perimeter of the deck lid.  In other words, open up the "C".

If you have a trapezoidal style, you will not be able to do so.  Refer to the picture of the trapezoid style in a previous post.  To confirm the trapezoid, in a NDE (non destructive examination) manner, stretch the end back where the two ends abut near the latch.  You should be able to see a good portion of the cross section.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Deck lid weatherstrip picture - 67 fastback
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2011, 08:32:05 PM »
It is trapezoidal.  1-1/8" in width, 9/16" in heigth, both measured while uncompressed.

Looks to be the service replacement or a repo (they designed these after the service replacements/NOS :(

Here are a few more original examples from my yard trip today (another dozen were exactly the same - all three plants were represented.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 08:50:48 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Dudley

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2011, 10:32:50 AM »
First, I am really late into this thread, and I am not at home to really inspect the seal on my SJ 1968 coupe to know its real shape. It is the original, and it has hardened quite a bit to the point of being brittle. But I will attach a pix of it.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 12:48:09 PM by Dudley »
sold my sig pix Mustang to Marcus Anghel in Sept 2017 -- 1968 Mustang coupe 11,900 mile unrestored-June 19,1968 SJ build. ON COVER OF MCA MUSTANG TIMES APRIL 2018 with feature article. My personal Pix available at :  http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/137299/ppuser