Author Topic: 68 Deluxe Interior Questions  (Read 845 times)

Offline duffman

68 Deluxe Interior Questions
« on: November 30, 2022, 08:10:32 PM »
I have a 68 with Deluxe Belts and 6K Aqua D?cor Deluxe Interior, with a few questions
1. What is the correct color seatbelts? These are black.
2. The carpet from PO was much darker (shown), replacement matches seats.  Which is correct?
3. The passenger dash pad strip doesn't match Dash pad or anything else.  What is correct?
4. Armrests on door were dyed, what is correct color?

Got a whole winter ahead of me to get it right.

Thanks!
Born on 12/14/17 San Jose 68 S Code convertible 4speed, deluxe interior & seatbelts, 8 track in console, 3:25 Conv rear, GT package, PS, PDB,PT, Convenience Panel, Visibility, Reflective & Blackout packages

Offline ruppstang

Re: 68 Deluxe Interior Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2022, 08:53:36 PM »
I think the seat belts should be aqua, that said when the correct color was not available black was used. I have had two red interiors with black belts.

I am not sure on the carpet, but I think medium aqua.

The knee crash pad should be aqua.  I think I may have one.

The arm rests should also be a medium aqua.

I will look though my stuff and see if I can find some original parts for color match.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2022, 08:56:45 PM »
Marty, did they cheapen out on the belts as a cost saving measure after the strike?

Duffman, your signature says "Born on 12/14/17" which does not help - can you include the actual build date?
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline duffman

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2022, 09:23:36 PM »
Born on was the actual build date.  So much for humor.
Born on 12/14/17 San Jose 68 S Code convertible 4speed, deluxe interior & seatbelts, 8 track in console, 3:25 Conv rear, GT package, PS, PDB,PT, Convenience Panel, Visibility, Reflective & Blackout packages

Offline tim_morrison82

• Click Here for My Project
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2022, 11:51:43 PM »
My SJ car was a parchment bench interior with deluxe belts, born 14th Dec 67 . My belts were colour coded to parchment, the latches were also parchment, with a chrome surround. The retractable lap belt was also a parchment coloured cover.

Your black belts are replacements.
San Jose built (Mid Dec 67) Non GT J code Coupe.
Wimbledon White with Parchment Bench seat,
Visibility Group, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Selectaire Conditioner, AM radio, Heavy Duty suspension, Deluxe Belts, Deluxe Wheel Covers, 3.00:1 rear.

Unique 1 of 1 car. Just like every other car...

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2022, 12:47:49 AM »
Marty, did they cheapen out on the belts as a cost saving measure after the strike?

I do not think so, I have seen original cars both with the color coordinated belts and some with black. Same goes for the rear-view mirrors. I think it was a supply thing and the black was a fall back. You did not hold up a build on car over a belt color. Our 68 unrestored HCS has a red interior with black belts.

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2022, 06:31:49 AM »
...and all the saddle interior Shelbys had black belts 😉

The knee pad does appear too blue in the photo.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2022, 09:29:57 PM »
 Here is an original aqua arm rest.

The Deluxe aqua belt is from a May built Dearborn car. I have not seen a black belt substitute used on a deluxe belt optioned car. It may have been due to the fact there were less of the deluxe belt used. The May build shows that color coordinating belts were still used post-strike.

I think the 68 Shelby's with saddle interiors used black belt for cost savings due to the inertia shoulder harness.

I could not find an aqua knee crash pad, but it should be a medium aqua like the console pad.

It looks like your kick panels are blue, they should be aqua as well. 

Offline duffman

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2022, 12:17:54 PM »
Thanks again for the information.  Looks like dying is in my future.   Going to reach out to SSnake-Oyl for belts!

One step closer....

Offline stangfan

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2022, 12:54:40 PM »
...and all the saddle interior Shelbys had black belts 😉

The knee pad does appear too blue in the photo.

This is very interesting.  My GT/CS has the red interior with black belts.  I always thought that the red belts faded over the years and owners replaced them with black, but this car is very original, so maybe it did come with black belts from the factory. 
1968 GT/CS
2018 Premium GT Fastback

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2022, 12:58:56 PM »
Thanks again for the information.  Looks like dying is in my future.   Going to reach out to SSnake-Oyl for belts!

One step closer....

python restorations would be a better choice imo.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 07:22:10 PM by J_Speegle »
5F09C331248

Offline duffman

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2022, 02:43:05 PM »
Thanks for that feedback!