Author Topic: Question: 1970 Mustang Mach 1 Full Size Spare  (Read 1632 times)

Offline Shelby1966

Question: 1970 Mustang Mach 1 Full Size Spare
« on: November 04, 2022, 11:03:12 AM »
Question...Was the full size spare tire F 70x14 installed at the factory in NJ in a Fold Down option car.

I installed a F 70x14 full size spare tire in my trunk and the tire butts up against the prop handle bracket.  Also the prop handle is unable to pushed forward to open up the trap door with the full size spare tire installed in the trunk.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 09:15:31 AM by Shelby1966 »

Offline Shelby1966

Re: Question: 1970 Mustang Mach 1 Full Size Spare
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2022, 09:22:09 PM »
Anyone with data on Mustangs with factory fold down rear seating that have full size spare tire from any factory.
Or
Did all come with collapsible spare that had a fold down rear seating.

TY

Rick Poling

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2022, 09:38:39 PM »
From the picture it does not look like the full size spare is positioned correctly. You may get a idea for location by look at jacking instruction illustration . The center hole of the steel wheel should be fairly centered over the trunk floor welded on loop for J hook .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2022, 10:48:28 PM »
Anyone with data on Mustangs with factory fold down rear seating that have full size spare tire from any factory.
Or
Did all come with collapsible spare that had a fold down rear seating.

Plenty of examples of 69-70 Fastbacks with full size spares those years and no not all fastbacks/sportroofs did not get collapsible spares . Fold down had nothing to do with the placement or fit since they are positioned behind and to the passenger side of the trap door surround panel (for lack of a better term) used on fold down and non-fold down . If they had come with the space saver spare then they would have the inflater bottle steel bracket welded to the floor on the passenger side

Yes someone has been playing with the white marker again  ::)

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 70cj428

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2022, 02:11:55 PM »
Just FYI, the vast majority of non boss fastbacks came with a full-size spare, if I'm not mistaken a space saver spare is the rarest of the RPO factory options with somewhere around 890 non boss fastbacks receiving them in 1970 (I don't have "Mustang by the Numbers" handy at the moment). I looked into this as my "green turd" Q code was originally equipped with one and I can't confirm with certainty what size space saver the car came with. I'm almost certain that it was the same size as a boss tire (F78-14) but then I looked at a survivor 1971 fastback with the same size tires and it had an E78-14 space saver.

The cars that came with the space saver spare will have "Collapsible Spare Tire" listed on the Marti report, another clue is that the hold-down bracket is in a different location and there's a bracket to hold the inflator next to the hold-down....

Hope this helps, John

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2022, 02:37:29 PM »
Just FYI, the vast majority of non boss fastbacks came with a full-size spare, if I'm not mistaken a space saver spare is the rarest of the RPO factory options with somewhere around 890 non boss fastbacks receiving them in 1970 (I don't have "Mustang by the Numbers" handy at the moment). ...............

Yes a rare and unpopular option. Would offer one rarer though in 70. Trunk mount battery from the factory in other than a Boss 429. There was one car built out of all the Mustangs built at all three plants. If I recall correctly it was in a coupe.
Jeff Speegle

Offline Shelby1966

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2022, 07:20:28 PM »
Would someone look at my trunk pic and tell me if something is amiss.  My spare tire F70x14 on a 6 1/2 inch steel wheel will NOT align up with the J hook and centerhole of the Ford OEM steel wheel.
Does anything look like it?s been messed with or changed, is the taillight housing incorrect or what.
I?ve tried and tried but the J hook is at a extreme angle, sideways.

I posted pics of the spare tire on my first posting, if you need to see the spare tire in the trunk.

Help

Rick Poling
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 08:12:58 PM by Shelby1966 »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2022, 09:38:54 PM »
Is the tire the size that the car came with new?
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2022, 10:21:27 PM »
Comparing to other examples and looking at the pictures you posted it appears that your car has not had its trunk floor replaced on the passenger side so the bracket and the bracket location appear to be as designed.

Given that you provided the size of the rim  14 x 6 1/2 were left with the out side diameter of the current tire you have mounted is greater than the original tires was.
Jeff Speegle

Offline Shelby1966

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2022, 07:49:27 AM »
Here is the factory window sticker that indicates tire size when left factory also detailed pics of measurements and date code on OEM ford steel factory wheel on the spare tire.

I thought(could be wrong) that the 14x6 ford steel OEM wheels actually measured at 14x6 1/2.

Did 15x7?s full size spare tire fit in trunk with ?J? hook?  But, I?ve never owned a mustang with that size tire.

Please advise and need help still...

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2022, 03:37:51 PM »
Here is the factory window sticker that indicates tire size when left factory also detailed pics of measurements and date code on OEM ford steel factory wheel on the spare tire.

I thought(could be wrong) that the 14x6 ford steel OEM wheels actually measured at 14x6 1/2.

Did 15x7?s full size spare tire fit in trunk with ?J? hook?  But, I?ve never owned a mustang with that size tire.

Please advise and need help still...
The 69/70 Boss and Shelby's all had space savers because the typical 15 inch full size spare (F 60 15 tire) would not fit in the trunk. Even the 67 and 68 Shelby's which used a E70 15 full size spares would barley fit. The 67 and 68 trunk is basically the same dimensions as the 69/70 is why the comparison.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2022, 03:45:05 PM »
 My first car was a 69 Mach I that I got in 1970. I drove it every day for 3 years until I bought a 67 Shelby. The Mach I had the F70 14 spare that matched the other 4 on the ground.That is until they wore out in 10,000 miles. With all of that first hand info said It was a very tight fit .

Offline Shelby1966

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2022, 07:17:23 PM »
UR right Bob, about it?s a very tight fit..and takes up a lot of trunk space.

I?m pondering about welding in a OEM correct collapsible bracket due to the the issues that I have laid out.

So,,,stay tuned..ty so much everyone for this post issue.

TY

Rick Poling

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2022, 09:59:20 PM »
UR right Bob, about it?s a very tight fit..and takes up a lot of trunk space.

I?m pondering about welding in a OEM correct collapsible bracket due to the the issues that I have laid out.

So,,,stay tuned..ty so much everyone for this post issue.

TY

Rick Poling
If you want a bracket check NPD as they sold them at one time. FYI early 69 Shelby's which always had a space saver did not come with a bracket and the bottle was loose under the tire. It apparently was something that transitioned to having a bracket after a certain point (sometime after jan /Feb of 1969. The reason I bring it up is that you can try it out to see how you like it without having to weld in the bracket. There are later model space savers that can be had for a nominal price. A  F78 X14 space saver (70) can be pricey.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2022, 07:02:15 PM »
If its for "looks" and not for use  or even just very limited use (underinflated) you may be able to get it in place by trying only 20 or 25 lbs of air inside. Know a number of people with cars where the spare will never see the ground do this to get things in place. Just an option to welding additional brackets to the body and spending a fair amount of dollars for the space saver, bottle, retainer and such
Jeff Speegle