Author Topic: Mach 1 Molding hardware  (Read 871 times)

Offline Angela

Mach 1 Molding hardware
« on: September 06, 2022, 11:16:29 AM »
What source(s) have folks found within the last few years for metal clips, screws and plastic spacers (protecting paint from the molding) used to hang the '70 Mach 1 moldings?
Thanks!

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
Re: Mach 1 Molding hardware
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2022, 12:45:41 PM »
I was hoping someone would chime in here. I am nearing that part of the resto on my son's 70' Mach.  :'(
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline Angela

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2022, 02:09:21 PM »
Agreed. With the utmost respect, I know others have persevered through this particular item and may be able to offer some suggestions. Finding usable plastic spacers and clips is extremely difficult. If anyone has a source they could share, it would be greatly appreciated.

Additionally, I recently stripped, straightened and repainted my moldings using the correct grey-ish charcoal black paint recommended on this forum. I used an Omni single stage. I believe I'm going to need to re-spray them while adding some flattening agent to the paint, because they turned out too glossy for what I believe Ford intended. Can anyone confirm these Mach 1 rocker moldings should be a low or satin finish? I haven't seen a restored set in quite some time and thus am questioning my recollection. All that said, I don't think they should be glossy but perhaps I'm mistaken.

Thanks. 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2022, 05:55:21 PM »
Might try applying it "dry"/ Sprayed from a distance and lightly. Just like interior colors - too much paint creates a glassier, smoother finish your not looking for
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline cobrajet_carl

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2022, 10:16:32 PM »
Between AMK and a really good ACE Hardware, I have gotten everything I need. Which of the hardware are you having trouble with?
Carl
70 and 71 Dearborn mach Is

Offline ExportMach

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2022, 10:47:50 AM »
Ive been casually watching for the plastic spacers. Ive even thought about scanning one of the intact spacers I have and attempting to 3D print the amount I need. Maybe there is a larger need the spacers arent available.
Mark C
Ford T5 registrar www.FordT5.com
MCA certified judge - '69-'70 concours
1970 Mach 1 T-5; bucked Mar 1970
0F05H172XXX; 63C, 6, 3A, 91, 6, 1

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2022, 01:25:05 PM »
How about a picture. Some of us have junk boxes of "unidentifiable" Mustang parts. Of course, a part number would help (Why is everybody so afraid of part numbers?).
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2022, 02:45:39 PM »
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2022, 04:26:58 PM »
I'm not afraid lol.  https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=25284.0
Nice pictures. What is what? Some retainers do look familiar, but without a measurement it's difficult to tell. I'll look when I get back from Home Depot. A "non-compliant" kitchen cabinet has priority.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline cobrajet_carl

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2022, 02:20:08 PM »
This plastic piece doesn't seem to be available anymore. But sooner or later they'll pop up on ebay. Doubt there's enough market for it to be reproduced.
Carl
70 and 71 Dearborn mach Is

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2022, 03:16:55 PM »
I did a long look in boxes on and off the shelf but couldn't find "clips" that looked like that. I got most of the hardware from a local "dismantler" and tried to identify what I received as best as I could. Without a Ford drawing for many items that I got there was no way to document them. I have over 22,000 total items comprised of 3500 individual part numbered items. That's about half of my stuff.
Jim

Offline BHStang

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2022, 06:16:17 PM »
I actually used a plastic gardening pot that was about the same thickness and cut the shapes I needed. The plastic material of the planters pot seems to be a perfect match for flexibility (meaning you can bend it with out cracking it).  Where it needs to have a lip to help secure it I had to cut another strip out and attached together using plastic model cement.  The tab is really only needed for holding in place during installation so if the glue fails later it shouldn't be a big deal.  As for the bottom side of the plastic ends and all along the SS trim top I simply used modern plastic body panel push fasteners trimmed town the the correct size. 

Will try to get some pictures.
1970 Mach 1
H Code 351C 2v
DAP June 10, 1970
4 Speed Close
AC, PS, Power disk, Shaker, Rear Spoiler

Offline D0ZZ

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2022, 12:38:29 PM »
Agreed. With the utmost respect, I know others have persevered through this particular item and may be able to offer some suggestions. Finding usable plastic spacers and clips is extremely difficult. If anyone has a source they could share, it would be greatly appreciated.

Additionally, I recently stripped, straightened and repainted my moldings using the correct grey-ish charcoal black paint recommended on this forum. I used an Omni single stage. I believe I'm going to need to re-spray them while adding some flattening agent to the paint, because they turned out too glossy for what I believe Ford intended. Can anyone confirm these Mach 1 rocker moldings should be a low or satin finish? I haven't seen a restored set in quite some time and thus am questioning my recollection. All that said, I don't think they should be glossy but perhaps I'm mistaken.

Thanks.

Would love to know how you went about straightening these moldings out? I have two sets for my 70 and planned to just use the best ones bust would be interested in knowing how to get them in even better shape.
1970 Mach 1, Metuchen, 351-4V, Built 6/22/70
1989 Mustang GT, Built 07/89