Author Topic: Collapsible Steering shaft: plastic pins???  (Read 1121 times)

Offline Angela

Collapsible Steering shaft: plastic pins???
« on: September 01, 2022, 08:39:05 AM »
I think this question applies to multiple model years.  I've read that the two-piece collapsible steering shafts are fixed in length by two plastic pins. However, when I look at mine (this specific example being a 1970), I do *not* find holes in either hollow or solid pieces of the shaft. Accordingly, I do not understand how the pins are supposed to be installed.

I see the heads of two original pins on the outside of the hollow portion of the two-piece shaft. However this is supposed to work, it's no longer working on my part, because I can separate the two pieces.

Questions:
(1) Are the plastic pins supposed to pass all the way through both hollow and solid shafts?
(2) How does one repair this such that the shaft cannot be pulled apart? Is there a source for appropriately sized plastic pins?

Thanks!

Offline RoyceP

1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline RoyceP

Offline Angela

Re: Collapsible Steering shaft: plastic pins???
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2022, 01:52:07 PM »
Thank you! You're right, one of these clips is cracked on my steering shaft.
That said, I don't see how these clips stop the two-piece shaft from extending (getting longer). Put another way, what stops the steering wheel and steering shaft from pulling straight out towards the driver once installed?

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2022, 02:19:49 PM »
These clips lock into recesses in the tube. I think Ford went to a metal clip in the early 1970's. The whole thing is pretty solid when it's all assembled in the car. Not sure what you are asking, it never comes apart, the whole purpose is so it can collapse in a violent accident to keep you from impaling yourself on the column.

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2022, 02:48:39 PM »
Thank you! You're right, one of these clips is cracked on my steering shaft.
That said, I don't see how these clips stop the two-piece shaft from extending (getting longer). Put another way, what stops the steering wheel and steering shaft from pulling straight out towards the driver once installed?

They don't.
The bottom is bolted to the rag joint.
The top of the shaft, as I vaguely recall, has a taper and goes into bearing which in turn is held in by a plate. If you have tilt there are two bearings.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 07:21:46 PM by Bossbill »
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx Boss 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline Angela

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2022, 01:23:35 PM »
Thanks for all of the help guys.
I still don't understand where the plastic shear pins should be located. Nevertheless, I no longer believe the upper shaft can pull out towards the driver while driving (something I've read on other forums can occur). The taper BossBill refers to is at the bottom end, which limits how much the 2-pc shaft can shorten in length. However, I think what stops the shaft from pulling out toward driver are the snap rings on each side of the upper bearing and the turn signal housing which retains that bearing.

In the end, whether or not plastic pins exist and extend through both shaft pieces, I don't see any risk.

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2022, 01:54:45 PM »
The bracket that secures the steering column to the dash is made so there is absolutely no way the column can do that. It can move forward a set amount if there is a violent accident. No other movement is possible.

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2022, 01:31:47 PM »
I had the taper wrong -- it's for the steering wheel. D'oh. You are most likely correct that the bearing and snap rings keep the top portion of the shaft from coming out towards the driver.

It wasn't until I thought about my 70 Boss and searched around that I found a picture of the inside of the column. See pic (and ignore typical misspellings).

The 70 column had two different collapsible systems inside the outer tube. I believe the actual steering shaft-in-a-shaft can telescope freely. It is held in place by the rag joint at the bottom and by the bearing/clips at the top. In the event of a collision that forced the steering box toward the driver the outer tube (the one painted interior color) will collapse at the "bellows" area and the shaft-in-a-shaft will slide or telescope. The column is held very rigidly at the bottom of the dash.
However, there is also the reverse gear interlock tube. This tube must also collapse and I think it has plastic pins that may have to break for a similar tube-in-a-tube collapsing action. I'm just guessing here since I don't have one apart.

There are also foam donuts inside the column to keep the various parts from rattling around.

See the pic I found from one of the Mustang sites. The topic was shortening parts in order to install a Borgeson steering box, so ignore the cut here labels.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 01:34:28 PM by Bossbill »
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx Boss 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion