Author Topic: clean and/or polish Trico arms?  (Read 506 times)

Offline palacekeeper

clean and/or polish Trico arms?
« on: August 08, 2022, 04:32:46 PM »
I recently obtained these Trico arms, which I'm told are correct for the 1970 Mach 1 or 1970 Mustang in general. If that is indeed the case, what is the best way to clean and/or polish them? I want them to look correct and clean, but don't want to change the finish to something that won't appear correct.

They seem to be at least partially stainless, but the part that attaches to the wiper blade does not attract a magnet, so maybe that part is aluminum?

If they are stainless, would it be okay to just use a stainless cleaner and/or polish on these?

Thanks for any info and suggestions!
1970 Mustang Mach 1, Grabber Blue
351C 4V M-code, Non A/C
Built at Metuchen
Build Date: December 19, 1969
Dealer: 21A461 Whaley-Dailey Ford Sales, Conyers, GA

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: clean and/or polish Trico arms?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2022, 08:18:22 PM »
I recently obtained these Trico arms, which I'm told are correct for the 1970 Mach 1 or 1970 Mustang in general. If that is indeed the case, what is the best way to clean and/or polish them? I want them to look correct and clean, but don't want to change the finish to something that won't appear correct.

They seem to be at least partially stainless, but the part that attaches to the wiper blade does not attract a magnet, so maybe that part is aluminum?

If they are stainless, would it be okay to just use a stainless cleaner and/or polish on these?

Thanks for any info and suggestions!
The finish is a satin finish from the factory. It was changed to satin as per federal guidelines starting in 1966 production. Any polishing of the stainless and or diecast parts will change the finish from what is was originally .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline palacekeeper

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2022, 10:29:44 PM »
Okay thanks. I assume then, that the general recommendation is just to wash it along with the car periodically? And NOT wax it when waxing the car?

Thanks
351C 4V M-code, Non A/C
Built at Metuchen

Offline CKF1962

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2022, 10:32:28 PM »
I cleaned with chrome soap and waxed. They look spectacularly mediocre just like factory ;D

K
65 Coupe 5F07C355368
67 2+2 7F02T127000

Offline palacekeeper

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2022, 12:50:56 PM »
sounds perfect.  ;D

thanks everyone for the info!
351C 4V M-code, Non A/C
Built at Metuchen

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2022, 05:25:16 PM »
Good thing is that if they are really nice you can always keep searching for a better/perfect pair and swap them out at that time
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)