Author Topic: FMX dip stick tube replacement  (Read 662 times)

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
FMX dip stick tube replacement
« on: July 31, 2022, 12:02:07 AM »
Recently got my son's 351W back from the machine shop and installed in his Mach. Next was a re-seal and gasket of his FMX. After installing , finally getting the shifter linkage and odds and ends back. When it comes to the dip stick tube, it looks too tight to go in as it's hitting the floor pan and there doesn't seem to be enough room to get it lined up in the hole? Anyone have tips on this? I hope we have the correct tube for this 70'.

Thanks
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: FMX dip stick tube replacement
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2022, 04:36:52 PM »
Pictures might help as at least I'm having difficultly visualizing things like having trouble lining up with the hole

How long is the  tube you have from the crimped section/detail that stops against the block /top of the hole to the bottom end of the tube?

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Hipo giddyup

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2022, 12:57:01 PM »
Thanks for the reply Jeff. It looks like about 3-4 inches (not close to me right now). It will not go into the hole easily and seems you need to cut a section off or bend the tube to get it in place.

I read elsewhere that people state you need to drop the tranny to replace/remove this?? Others state it should NOT require such work. When we removed the tranny a few years back, it met up with bell housing bolt fine, the one that retains it, and has the original dip stick, etc..  We didn't have it in when placing the tranny back in the car (would have been just another piece in the way). Everything is bolted up and done so dropping the tranny is not likely an option. I hate to go with an aftermarket set up that mounts to the firewall, but being my son's car, he is not following at concourse level. With the work involved he will not want to remove the tranny, UGH. I am just looking to see if this can be salvaged at this point.
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline 70-Conv_4sp

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 07:45:09 PM »
I would try taking the o-ring off the dipstick tube and see if tube seats down in the case and the hole aligns, if so reinstall o-ring, try a some gorilla snot (grease/ATF oil)
on the o-ring and gingerly work the tube back into the case till it seats and aligns, if its the same tube you removed originally it should (haha) go right back inplace.

Keith 

Offline Hipo giddyup

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2022, 10:47:19 AM »
Thanks for the reply Keith. It is actually not even lining up to get a straight shot in the hole. The tube will will either need to be bent (I'm sure not a good choice), the end of the tube cut down by an inch or so, or the floor pan/toe board will need to be hit hard to allow it to get a straight shot to go in. He has long tube headers on this car so a pic is out of the question. LOL

Since the floors were replaced, I suspect this could be the issue? But they were not hacked, so I'm at a loss here. Worst case would be to dent the floor to get it placed, then hit it back from inside (no carpet, etc. in the car yet. ) That wouldn't hurt my feelings as this will not be seen.