Author Topic: 67 Disc Brakes: Rotors and Calipers  (Read 796 times)

Offline dblB

67 Disc Brakes: Rotors and Calipers
« on: July 07, 2022, 04:05:30 PM »
Hi Everyone,
I'm working through the parts stack for my car.  I have the factory Kelsey Hayes 4 piston calipers and two piece rotors. Any recommendations on shops that would restore the calipers?  Is there a source for a replacement rotor for the original 2 piece design or should I go to the one piece design that is commonly available?  Also, what is the best way to separate the hub from the rotor, a press?

Thanks.
67 Fastback GT 390 4spd

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
Re: 67 Disc Brakes: Rotors and Calipers
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2022, 05:06:49 PM »
I tried the press method on the rotor and that didn't work too well.
Take a lead or brass hammer, lay the rotor flat and give a quick and heavy whack to the studs.
They pop right out.

As for sources check the many threads already posted.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx Boss 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline kkupec02

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2022, 10:56:10 PM »
I used Karps Power Brake Service in California and was happy with their caliper rebuild. It took a couple of months to get them back though
1967 GT500 Built 1/26/67 #817
1967 Corvette Roadster

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2022, 12:33:34 AM »
Jesse at Shelby Parts & Restoration does a great job on the calipers.

The rotors come apart by pressing out the lug nut studs... I just took apart 6 of them, easy.  Depending on if the car is driven or not, you may elect to have the original rotors restored, they are hard to come by these days.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2022, 07:53:14 AM »
...you may elect to have the original rotors restored, they are hard to come by these days.

Absolutely true...very difficult to find original ones and be careful NOT to buy NOS or Ford Service part rotors that were made by CENTURY. Assembly Line rotors are different and I might suggest learning this difference before deciding on what to use.

Until I happen across another Assemblyline version to match the one usable original I have, I purchased rotors (hats only) from O'REILLY Auto Parts a few years ago (not sure if they are still available).

Perhaps do a thread search on the rotors. 65 thru 67 fit the same if that helps.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2022, 05:46:58 PM »
Absolutely true...very difficult to find original ones and be careful NOT to buy NOS or Ford Service part rotors that were made by CENTURY. Assembly Line rotors are different and I might suggest learning this difference before deciding on what to use.

Until I happen across another Assemblyline version to match the one usable original I have, I purchased rotors (hats only) from O'REILLY Auto Parts a few years ago (not sure if they are still available).

Perhaps do a thread search on the rotors. 65 thru 67 fit the same if that helps.
Not still available as of last week. Be careful as some pictures on auto parts websites show the hats but when you receive a ordered pair they are the one piece rotor instead. I have had that happen several times now from various websites and in a couple cases phone confirmation that they were the hats only. Given the high shipping cost of these heavy items I would get email confirmation so that you have it in writing so that you can prove it was their mistake instead of yours so that shipping back is not on your dime.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2022, 05:52:48 PM »
I would like to point out that the nuance differences between assemblyline and the service replacement are virtually indistinguishable once mounted . You can tell however if one piece and two piece style when mounted. A one piece style is points deduction in concours Trailered where as the two piece is not. In thoroughbred class  where no reproduction anything is given a pass a wheel may be required to be taken off to confirm which type. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline dblB

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2022, 06:34:49 PM »
Are these original rotors?  If so I'll save them.
67 Fastback GT 390 4spd

Offline dblB

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2022, 06:35:26 PM »
original?
67 Fastback GT 390 4spd

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2022, 08:04:41 PM »
They appear to be crusty originals. The inside fins are different compared to later service versions and aftermarket.