Author Topic: Mach 1 Charcoal dash paint  (Read 1621 times)

Offline BHStang

Mach 1 Charcoal dash paint
« on: April 28, 2022, 04:07:35 PM »
Does anyone have a really good picture especially of a non textured metal like the steering column of the Charcoal dash paint.  Have an original dash frame we are trying to match too but age, oxidation, and the fact the surface is camera case is causing it to be very difficult to tell just how much or how little metallic flake should be in it.  The paint is rusted or ruined on any of the flat surface parts we have so they are of no help.  Also the old legacy paint codes are useless (no one can cross reference them to any paint available today).   
1970 Mach 1
H Code 351C 2v
DAP June 10, 1970
4 Speed Close
AC, PS, Power disk, Shaker, Rear Spoiler

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Mach 1 Charcoal dash paint
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2022, 04:24:34 PM »
Does anyone have a really good picture especially of a non textured metal like the steering column of the Charcoal dash paint.  Have an original dash frame we are trying to match too but age, oxidation, and the fact the surface is camera case is causing it to be very difficult to tell just how much or how little metallic flake should be in it.  The paint is rusted or ruined on any of the flat surface parts we have so they are of no help.  Also the old legacy paint codes are useless (no one can cross reference them to any paint available today).
It is problematic to take a picture and share over the internet for shade and tint comparisons. Different monitors can make images show up differently.  NPD sells the dark charcoal metallic in a spray can . You can get some and compare. It is favorably close.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2022, 06:29:03 PM »
No one can mix PPG Deltron 2000 DBI Interior in a 32586?
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx Boss 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline BHStang

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2022, 07:45:12 PM »
It is problematic to take a picture and share over the internet for shade and tint comparisons. Different monitors can make images show up differently.  NPD sells the dark charcoal metallic in a spray can . You can get some and compare. It is favorably close.

NPD out of stock no plans to replace as of now.  We think we can nail down the color but just how much metallic in it is more difficult.  If there was a better option would consider
1970 Mach 1
H Code 351C 2v
DAP June 10, 1970
4 Speed Close

Offline hopey

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2022, 10:35:01 PM »
NPD out of stock no plans to replace as of now.  We think we can nail down the color but just how much metallic in it is more difficult.  If there was a better option would consider

NPD has the lacquer in stock, in fact I picked up a couple cans today at the counter @ the Ocala location here in Florida.  They dont have the SEMS flexible spray, the guys told me its been on back order forever
1970 BOSS 302
Built 11/15/69 Dearborn

Offline BHStang

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2022, 11:42:56 PM »
Hmm guess I will call them back tomorrow and see if I can get a can
1970 Mach 1
H Code 351C 2v
DAP June 10, 1970
4 Speed Close

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2022, 09:33:22 PM »
The best place I found was the back of the glove box door as it is protected by the liner and never experiences damage of sees sunlight.  When color matching metallic you have to remember that paint technology has changed so much over 50 years and none of the original pigments and metal flakes are no longer available. So consistency is the key and find a match you are happy with and make sure everything is painted in the same color.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2022, 10:55:19 PM »
Have you tried TCP Global/autocolorlibrary.com? Just one the many names they go by. Should have the paint available since its such a standard and use for  so many models and years
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2022, 04:40:35 PM »
Team,

Has anyone ever noticed the metallic flakes in the kick panels.  I did not know it until a very well respected Mustang expert shared with me.  Sure was surprised when I washed all my kick panels and there they were on every one of them.  I don't know how you would replicate that? 

Also, the center pad to the rim blow I believe is supposed to be the same as the metal dash?  If that is right, would it be vinyl dye instead of the paint used on metal dash parts and steering column etc...?

Dan in Kansas

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2022, 09:31:13 PM »
Here are two pics that will illustrate the issues with trying to show this color over the intrawebs.

The first are two pieces of the steering column collar, as painted by the factory. The two pieces appear to be shot at different times or with different air pressure. Maybe even a slightly different paint mix. I noticed the steering column is the shiniest part of the interior as shot in charcoal metallic.

The second pic is under some 100 lumens/sq foot 3500K LEDs in the ceiling. This is only the first fog coat over a black epoxy primer. You can tell the different between the door and the shiny black post.
Bill

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2022, 12:42:13 AM »
Dan, those flakes in the kick panels is interesting as they are normally meant to be just black plastic. I haven't seen it and i'll go look again.
Thanks Brad

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2022, 01:12:40 AM »
Bradley,

Hello friend!  I promise you they will be there.  Almost like looking for gold flecks in a pan.  I looked at 6 and all had silver specs.  It wasn't overspray.  Look on back side.  I believe my Jedi friend also stated the console may be same way?  I have to look.  May the 4th be with you!

Dan in Kansas

Offline Badgas6228

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2022, 04:55:41 PM »
The paint can be mixed today just like 50 years ago. Auto color world sent the new paint code in a email to my autobody paint store, black charcoal metallic interior paint.Last summer I sprayed all interior panels and misc parts that called for that paint.Dan from Kansas seen a few pics of it because  he sold me all the folddown seat stuff part of the stuff I sprayed its got a lot of metallic in it looks stunning.They converted the 1968 code to today's products. It was 280.00 for a pint, it mixes 1 to 1 so you get a qt of sprayable  paint, I used 1/2 of it and I sprayed a bunch of stuff. BossBill that Number you posted is I believe the code they converted over.. that paint store Bill is in Renton Wa just down the street from you.. I have the new  mix code they gave me a copy because its a project to get the right poeple in place to find it.Food for thought. Greg  Seattle. 70 G O Boss 302
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 05:03:24 PM by Badgas6228 »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2022, 05:03:04 PM »
The paint can be mixed today just like 50 years ago. Auto color world sent the new paint code in a email to my autobody paint store,................

That was sure nice of them rather than requiring you to go through them
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2022, 08:25:41 PM »
The paint can be mixed today just like 50 years ago. Auto color world sent the new paint code in a email to my autobody paint store, black charcoal metallic interior paint.Last summer I sprayed all interior panels and misc parts that called for that paint.Dan from Kansas seen a few pics of it because  he sold me all the folddown seat stuff part of the stuff I sprayed its got a lot of metallic in it looks stunning.They converted the 1968 code to today's products. It was 280.00 for a pint, it mixes 1 to 1 so you get a qt of sprayable  paint, I used 1/2 of it and I sprayed a bunch of stuff. BossBill that Number you posted is I believe the code they converted over.. that paint store Bill is in Renton Wa just down the street from you.. I have the new  mix code they gave me a copy because its a project to get the right poeple in place to find it.Food for thought. Greg  Seattle. 70 G O Boss 302
Greg, can you re-phrase the sentence in blue?

I thought the 32586 was the Ford number? I got the can from Wesco, Auburn.
Bill