Author Topic: Trunk torsion rod retainer insulator and mounting hardware?  (Read 828 times)

Offline Morsel

Trunk torsion rod retainer insulator and mounting hardware?
« on: March 27, 2022, 04:23:07 PM »
Hello all,

A couple questions on the torsion rod retainer:

1) Were the screws hex type like seen in attached picture or were the phillips pan head, or both? Mine on my car were the phillips pan heads but not sure that's correct? (looked in the library and was confused by the results)

2) What was the rubber insulator made out of originally?

3) I assume the rubber insulator was also painted body color, correct?

Thanks as always,

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Trunk torsion rod retainer insulator and mounting hardware?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2022, 04:29:32 PM »
3. all painted body color.
5F09C331248

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2022, 07:01:54 PM »
Hex head screws.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2022, 07:26:58 PM »
1) Were the screws hex type like seen in attached picture or were the phillips pan head, or both? Mine on my car were the phillips pan heads but not sure that's correct? (looked in the library and was confused by the results)

What "confused" you? I will admit I had the quantity incorrect (it should be 2, the drawings in the 65 and 66 Assembly Manuals are deceptive) and corrected the master spreadsheet file (thank you). The part number was listed (42120-S8), along with the description (HEX), and PAINTED BODY COLOR in the notes.
Do you have a set of Mustang Assembly Manuals for your car?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Morsel

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2022, 08:27:36 PM »
What "confused" you? I will admit I had the quantity incorrect (it should be 2, the drawings in the 65 and 66 Assembly Manuals are deceptive) and corrected the master spreadsheet file (thank you). The part number was listed (42120-S8), along with the description (HEX), and PAINTED BODY COLOR in the notes.
Do you have a set of Mustang Assembly Manuals for your car?
Jim

Jim,

So what confused me were there were two things listed, one was "tortion rod retainer" see screen shots, I assumed it was the one that was hex specifically because of the body color note, but had to check since I did actually have pan head phillips on my car. Anyway, going to switch them out...

Thanks as always everyone.

Jason

February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2022, 12:13:27 AM »
Jason,
The first screenshot has a description ending in "HT".
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Morsel

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2022, 03:03:36 PM »
Jason,
The first screenshot has a description ending in "HT".
Jim

Got it, thanks for the clarification Jim.

Jason

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2022, 04:30:35 PM »
Got it, thanks for the clarification Jim.

Jason
Anytime there's a hardware question, I look up what I did. There's over 10,500 entries in the master file that was started over 25 years ago. I need to get reminded about some of the stuff I put in there. In any case, I corrected a quantity and standardized several of the uses while reviewing the file.
How's life in "wine country"? Any tips?
Jim

Offline Morsel

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2022, 02:13:19 PM »
Anytime there's a hardware question, I look up what I did. There's over 10,500 entries in the master file that was started over 25 years ago. I need to get reminded about some of the stuff I put in there. In any case, I corrected a quantity and standardized several of the uses while reviewing the file.
How's life in "wine country"? Any tips?
Jim

Pretty decent, I actually moved a few towns over. When the car is finally back on the road maybe I'll make a small drive to your place again in the car and bring a little vino to share while we look the car over ;)

J

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2022, 02:22:50 PM »
Deal. Pick a dry day.
Jim