Author Topic: 68 San Jose Firewall Hole Usage  (Read 596 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
68 San Jose Firewall Hole Usage
« on: March 21, 2022, 07:05:42 PM »
A question came up in another thread that I thought needed to be expanded on without taking up allot of room in that thread so starting fresh and focused.

The question surrounded if this hole had a grommet or on and on searching unrestored San Jose examples I found that how the hole was used seems to depend on when the car was built and/or how the car was ordered (options)

Here is the hole for the discussion

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 68 San Jose Firewall Hole Usage
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2022, 07:21:33 PM »
And the first few examples I've found. Will continue to check through the rest of the pictures I have and post again

Non-AC example where the hole is used for routing of the heater motor wiring

AC car with dum-dum

AC car with a flat style grommet 8R02J1045xx. Not sure but looks like there are two so don't know what is going on on this very early

Haven't found a clear picture of the area on a no option car with not heater, so don't know how theirs was configured
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 12:03:39 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2022, 07:32:53 PM »
A possibility. If the grommet is located to the passenger's side of the RH firewall to shock tower brace (see 68 Mustang Electrical Assembly Manual AM0032 pg 76, ref E8-8650-3, item 16, 2 used, item 26 - hole dia, item 49 a confusion factor) it is Ford part number 380851-S for which no documentation has been located.
So, go to Lowes hardware. They have a selection of grommets. Also ACE Hardware "might" have something as well.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2022, 12:17:44 AM »
A few non-AC examples

8R1650xxx - With grommet?

In the following two we can see that the wires were wrapped as they exited the firewall hole

8R1261xxx

8R1275xx

One AC equipped one

8R167xxx not very clear and not sure what it shows. Is that the remains of dum-dum or something else
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2022, 06:32:59 AM »

AC car with a flat style grommet 8R02J1045xx. Not sure but looks like there are two so don't know what is going on on this very early

Two grommets would be NORMAL on factory AC cars (67 & 68), one frome the vacuum source (reservoir) and the other for the heater valve.

Another hole would be present on all later-67 through 68's that use the 1/4" vacuum supply for the Tilt-Away column.
(NOTE: it has been established in other discussions that Early-67 Tilt-Away vacuum supply lines, at least in conjunction with factory AC, utilize a special "T" under the dash to source vacuum from the AC Supply line. Again, that is ONLY early-67).
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 06:39:24 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2022, 08:33:28 PM »
I do not think all AC cars got the grommets. We have one but it is in a shop away from here. next time I am there I will get a picture.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2022, 11:16:44 PM »
I do not think all AC cars got the grommets.

Guess it's good that we have this conversation for everyone's benefit

We have one but it is in a shop away from here. next time I am there I will get a picture.

Have an unrestored one owner Cal Special in storage with AC also I need to remember to check
Jeff Speegle