Author Topic: How to identify an original fog light setup?  (Read 839 times)

Offline ScreamingHand

How to identify an original fog light setup?
« on: March 10, 2022, 03:32:22 AM »
Hello there, I'm new here to the forum after purchasing a 1966 factory a-code GT coupe in Springtime Yellow! It's a complete car, but i'm currently just in the process of trying to piece it's originality together with a few bits here and there. The first has been correct original GT gas cap, correct year GT fender badges (currently has '65 GT badges, so I bought some original '66 GT badges to replace them), replacements for the tail lights and such. I don't believe the fog lights are original, they appear to be too new and clean. I've been searching for originals, but I'm unaware of any reliable ways to identify an original hardware. I may end up sticking with the reproductions if it comes down to it. After that, the next step will be to find some proper whitewalls. It currently has Radial G/T's, I think it will look more proper with whitewalls. Thanks for the help!

Online jwc66k

Re: How to identify an original fog light setup?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2022, 01:01:41 PM »
Welcome to the Forum. If you look on the inside of the fog lamp arms, and on the inside back rim the special fog lamp corral, you will find Ford part numbers. They will start with "C6ZB-". Reproductions will have the name of the aftermarket company.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline ScreamingHand

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2022, 03:10:06 PM »
Welcome to the Forum. If you look on the inside of the fog lamp arms, and on the inside back rim the special fog lamp corral, you will find Ford part numbers. They will start with "C6ZB-". Reproductions will have the name of the aftermarket company.
Jim

Thanks for the reply! I noticed this fog light setup on eBay. It appears to have "FOC" on the lenses. They also pointed out in messages that the lense has "FM %". Unfortunately no mention of a part #, but I'm not sure if they did a thorough check, especially considering it's still attached to the grill. https://www.ebay.com/itm/234415233999?_trkparms=ni_actn%3Anav%7Cni_nt%3AWATCH_ITEM_ENDING_SOON%7Cni_apos%3A2%7Cni_sg%3A1%7Cni_pos%3A2%7Cni_st%3ANEW%7Cni_wh%3A1%7Cni_nid%3A586875176978%7Cni_nsid%3A234415233999%7Cni_bn%3A1&_trksid=p2380424.m570.l5997

Offline sgl66

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2022, 07:43:35 PM »
Jim
Probably true most of the time but somebody once made them with part numbers and Prestolite cast into them. OEM bars will also have the FoMoCo logo and a clock style date code.

The OEM corral is different than the NOS if you know what to look for.

The mounting brackets also include TOP. I haven't seen these reproduced yet.

See also for running horse difference https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=14298.msg88879#msg88879
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline sgl66

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2022, 08:01:17 PM »
Correct year GT fender badges (currently has '65 GT badges, so I bought some original '66 GT badges to replace them)
Welcome. Before you get too far down the road replacing things, what's the approximate build date on the door plate and which plant was it built in. There were several changes made during the production year and GT emblems was one. See the running change threads at the top and also this for GT emblems https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=12403.0

Offline ScreamingHand

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2022, 12:28:30 AM »
Welcome. Before you get too far down the road replacing things, what's the approximate build date on the door plate and which plant was it built in. There were several changes made during the production year and GT emblems was one. See the running change threads at the top and also this for GT emblems https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=12403.0

Here is the plate! 6T07A198038

Body: 65A
Color: 8
Trim: 26
Date: 27A
D.S.O.: 22
Axle: 1
Trans: 6

Based on that, it was early production. Do you think it still would have had '65 GT emblems instead of the updated aluminum on the '66?

Offline sgl66

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2022, 09:38:28 AM »
Here is the plate! 6T07A198038

Body: 65A
Color: 8
Trim: 26
Date: 27A
D.S.O.: 22
Axle: 1
Trans: 6

Based on that, it was early production. Do you think it still would have had '65 GT emblems instead of the updated aluminum on the '66?
Better question to ask on the GT emblem thread so anyone searching the site in the future can find it. https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=12403.0

Also, adding your partial VIN to your signature will ensure people know where and when your car was built. BTW, NJ cars came with buck tags and usually have at least 1 build sheet. Search the site, there is a ton of info.

Offline ScreamingHand

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2022, 03:58:47 PM »
Better question to ask on the GT emblem thread so anyone searching the site in the future can find it. https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=12403.0

Also, adding your partial VIN to your signature will ensure people know where and when your car was built. BTW, NJ cars came with buck tags and usually have at least 1 build sheet. Search the site, there is a ton of info.

Okay I'll post there. Unfortunately the buck tag was removed at some point by a previous owner.

Offline 21.04

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2022, 07:18:13 PM »
Hopefully, you'll be able to discover a few pieces of evidence your car had the GT options added at the assembly plant.  Such a rare sought after option, and we see many more GTs on the road today than were actually produced.  Your car was a NJ plant car.  That could give you at least two advantages of finding evidence your car was or was not built as a GT.  The buck tag was already mentioned.  We have read several examples of owners of early cars from this plant discovering a build sheet taped to the wiring harness behind the dash bezel.  I've got two 66 cars from the NJ with projected build dates of 3/23/66 (unrestored Conv) and 4/15/66 (GT coupe) that I have found build sheets for both cars.  If you find the build sheet, you can look for a "5" to appear in the section of the build sheet for moldings/decor group/tailgate.  If you are lucky enough to find the build sheet, the paper will be a bit fragile.  You'll need to use car removing it from the harness and trying to unfold it without destroying it. 

If the quarter panels have not been replaced, You can also remove your rear interior panels and inspect the area of the quarter panel where the quarter panel emblem would have gone.  Should be smooth without any holes welded up where an emblem would have gone.  Cars built as a GT from the assembly line, would not have rocker moldings.
If your fenders are original to the car, you can inspect the lower inside sections nearest the front wheel for any welds where the rocker molding would have been bolted.  Should be smooth. 

There will be two harnesses for fog lights:  a small harness that runs from your fog light switch to a few inches through the firewall to the engine compartment, and also a fog light feed that is a single strand grey wire that connects from your fog underdash harness to both fog lights.  An original fog light feed will have two short ground wires taped to it with black plastic electrical tape.  Look for an original tag with engineering number near the end connecting to the fog underdash harness. 

As previously mentioned, you can inspect your two fog light brackets attached to your grill.  In addition to ?Top? stamped in them, you should also see LH and RH stamped next to it to designate left and right.   

-Matt
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 02:11:44 AM by 21.04 »
66 K code Conv GT red/red deluxe 4 spd
66 A code Conv Non-GT black/red deluxe 3 spd
66 Sprint Conv Unrestored Green/blk std 3 spd

Offline sgl66

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2022, 10:09:10 PM »
We have read several examples of owners of early cars from this plant discovering a build sheet taped to the wiring harness behind the dash bezel.  I?ve got two 66 cars from the NJ with projected build dates of 3/23/66 (unrestored Conv) and 4/15/66 (GT coupe) that I have found build sheets for both cars.  If you find the build sheet, you can look for a ?5? to appear in the section of the build sheet for moldings/decor group/tailgate.  If you are lucky enough to find the build sheet, the paper will be a bit fragile.  You?ll need to use car removing it from the harness and trying to unfold it without destroying it. 

I wasn't looking for it because I already had the wiring harness build sheet but I found part of a second build sheet under my passenger seat back in 2015. https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=9771.15