Author Topic: Question about Water Pump and attaching hardware  (Read 503 times)

Offline Morsel

Question about Water Pump and attaching hardware
« on: March 08, 2022, 08:27:47 PM »
Hey all,

So I'm getting ready to paint my HiPo block and installing the necessary bolts on the water pump prior to painting. Had a question about some unrestored pictures I've seen from the unrestored section. One is about the fuel line clip, I've seen it on the first and second bolt location to the right of the thermostat, most seem to be to the first one, see attached photo, and just making sure the bottom section of the clip is painted block color, I assume yes by what I've seen.

Also the clip itself that attached the fuel line to that mounted block color piece, is that natural or phosphate?

Last is looking at this unrestored GT350 picture, I noticed the alternator bracket the one bolt is painted blue, I always thought all the bolts that attached those after pieces were zinc and not painted, is that someone just mixing up bolts when working on this car?

And maybe the best way is someone just looking at this AMK diagram which bolts get block color is the easiest, it's all numbered :)

Thanks as always,

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline Morsel

Re: Question about Water Pump and attaching hardware
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2022, 08:30:44 PM »
Oh, and if this helps, this is what I had originally, a lot being fixed so only concerned about the pump thank you, haha.

Thanks,

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2022, 10:31:41 PM »
Hey all,

So I'm getting ready to paint my HiPo block and installing the necessary bolts on the water pump prior to painting. Had a question about some unrestored pictures I've seen from the unrestored section. One is about the fuel line clip, I've seen it on the first and second bolt location to the right of the thermostat, most seem to be to the first one, see attached photo, and just making sure the bottom section of the clip is painted block color, I assume yes by what I've seen.

Also the clip itself that attached the fuel line to that mounted block color piece, is that natural or phosphate?

Last is looking at this unrestored GT350 picture, I noticed the alternator bracket the one bolt is painted blue, I always thought all the bolts that attached those after pieces were zinc and not painted, is that someone just mixing up bolts when working on this car?

And maybe the best way is someone just looking at this AMK diagram which bolts get block color is the easiest, it's all numbered :)

Thanks as always,

Jason
The bracket is block color and the clip is a spring steel blueish black .Gun bluing is the preferred choice to enhance the color.Any bolt that was holding the water pump to the engine when it was painted would be block color. The water pump bolt was reused to secure the bracket and would still be block color.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 10:34:24 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Morsel

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2022, 01:39:41 PM »
The bracket is block color and the clip is a spring steel blueish black .Gun bluing is the preferred choice to enhance the color.Any bolt that was holding the water pump to the engine when it was painted would be block color. The water pump bolt was reused to secure the bracket and would still be block color.

Wow, ok, so every bolt was block color, and then they just loosened them and reattached the alternator brackets, interesting. Thanks as always for the info on the above...

Jason

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2022, 04:21:35 PM »
- so every bolt was block color, and then they just loosened them and reattached the alternator brackets, interesting.
With some "minor" scratches on the bolt heads. The assembly line did not use rubber lined sockets.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Morsel

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2022, 05:53:33 PM »
With some "minor" scratches on the bolt heads. The assembly line did not use rubber lined sockets.
Jim

I figured Jim, haha.