Author Topic: 1966 Hertz shelby under carriage Dolly Marks  (Read 488 times)

Offline LouisGT350H

1966 Hertz shelby under carriage Dolly Marks
« on: March 01, 2022, 07:07:47 PM »
Hi

I am restoring a 1966 Hertz Shelby mustang, and I have been told that the undercarriage and boot have Dolly marks where the car was on a rotisserie when painted.   Can any one help with where these marks/ non paint are on the car with some pics please?

Thank you

Lou

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1966 Hertz shelby under carriage Dolly Marks
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2022, 06:57:09 PM »
First welcome to the site. Hope you find the support and information helpful in your restoration efforts

Where the marks are located can be found in the Library section of this site. Just look under 66 Mustang or 66 Shelby section then scroll down to
In reproducing the areas you need to consider the multiple layers of paint, direction that they were applied/spray from and how this affected the final look your searching for in a restoration

- Body Dolly Marks- Reproducing
    Reproducing Body Dolly Marks

Will include history, tools (just one version I've found useful) and so on to help. Also in the same section the article
Undercarriage - Finishes and Sealer Guide for 1966  San Jose Built Mustangs & Shelby's on  page 6 has addition information

You can also find some examples in the Unrestored picture thread under 66 Mustang & Shelby. Use the Mustangs examples also since they are just the same as your Shelby

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2022, 07:21:49 PM »
Guessing you have at least a spring 66 built car or even later. Here are some general shots of originals. It should be mentioned that not all cars got a bare spot around the trunk interior holes that was visible with the rubber plugs in place but the more typical hold downs that screwed into the pedestals from above and held the car to the fixture were visible. Seems there were two sized large washers used for some reason though both deformed the trunk floors slightly or move around those mounting holes

A few examples though suggest you and others interested in the subject do read the resources I provided above

Rear most

And from above in the trunk

Near the front mounting point for the rear spring

Near rear end of the front frame rail that attaches to the forward main floor panel

And from above in the interior

Don't have any clear picture of the forward ones at the front #1 cross member. Typically this are sees allot of surface damage so coatings are often gone plus red oxide is sometimes not sprayed (read missed) on those surfaces. When found they are the same size and shape as the others 

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline LouisGT350H

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2022, 08:18:05 PM »
Thanks , Very helpful.