Author Topic: 65 Dearborn Hi-po snubber brkt  (Read 1138 times)

Offline 65Fatback

65 Dearborn Hi-po snubber brkt
« on: February 21, 2022, 02:37:27 AM »
I am needing info on the part that bolts to the snubber plate that is spot welded to the underside of the body that the axle snubber bumps in to when bottoming out out. See pics.... the piece in question is held in place by 2 bolts and looks like a piece of angle iron.
Any info appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 04:05:19 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Hi-po snubber brkt
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2022, 12:31:21 PM »
I am needing info on the part that bolts to the snubber plate that is spot welded to the underside of the body that the axle snubber bumps in to when bottoming out out. See pics.... the piece in question is held in place by 2 bolts and looks like a piece of angle iron.
Any info appreciated.
Hipo Mustangs do not come from the factory with anything bolted to that upper plate. Instead there is a metal pinion shield with bolted on rubber snubber that is bolted to the removable 9 inch center section of the 9 inch axle housing.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2022, 12:40:16 PM »
I grabbed a picture of a 66 bracket because it was handy .The 65 is different.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2022, 12:50:40 PM »
I've seen 'A' code GT's with that style bracket bolted to the snubber.  There is usually another rubber bumper that attaches on top of the metal piece.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline k-code

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2022, 09:55:46 PM »
Is this the part you?re looking for? Late 64 K code
Andy
65 K code coupe, Dearborn, Dec 18, '64

Offline 65Fatback

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2022, 11:59:20 PM »
What started me wondering is the fact of one being on a 65 Shelby, car 525, Legendary Motorsports did the restoration. You can see it in their video.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2022, 12:08:47 AM »
What started me wondering is the fact of one being on a 65 Shelby, car 525, Legendary Motorsports did the restoration. You can see it in their video.

Is your car a San Jose built car?

Not sure how old that restoration is but just another example why you can't always trust what you see/find on the internet.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 65Fatback

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2022, 02:07:24 AM »
My car Is a  Dearborn.... didn't have the additional part bolted to the snubber so I was just wondering why and more importantly WHAT it is and what its suppose to do.
Any clear pics of this part?. Name? Nothing in the 65 Service manual .
Thanks for all the responses.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2022, 02:21:19 AM »
My car Is a  Dearborn.... didn't have the additional part bolted to the snubber so I was just wondering why and more importantly WHAT it is and what its suppose to do.
Any clear pics of this part?. Name? Nothing in the 65 Service manual .
Thanks for all the responses.

Thanks so you have a 65 K code fastback built at Dearborn. Guessing none of the pictures you have posted so far are of your car - Correct?

Does your original snubber plate have one, two or three holes in the middle of it?

Also when was the car approximately built or a partial VIN  to help place the cars production period.   Have pictures just want to make sure they relate to your car and production period there were changes during the year with some details.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 02:30:57 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 65 Dearborn Hi-po snubber brkt
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2022, 04:10:00 PM »
Separated the NJ built car discussion

Now to some pictures.  Here are some examples of 65 K code snubber brackets as attached at Dearborn to the unibody over the rear end center point
Early 5F160xxx - Mid 5F330xxx - Late 5F622xxxc

Notice that they are shapped differently than the examples you found on the internet. The also have only one hole in the middle and no provision for the 8 inch style bumper to be attached to them

Pictures of the subber bracket typically attached to the pinion retainer bolts at the front of the third member

PLEASE ignore the paint marks  ::)

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 04:36:37 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline 65Fatback

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2022, 07:01:07 PM »
Here is a enlarged picture of the part in question from car 525...(shiny pc held on by 2 bolts)...does it serve a function...installed in error...only on San Jose cars...from ??/??🙂👍 Thanks f ou r all the effort

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2022, 07:15:31 PM »
Here is a enlarged picture of the part in question from car 525...(shiny pc held on by 2 bolts)...does it serve a function...installed in error...only on San Jose cars...from ??/??🙂👍 Thanks f ou r all the effort

Of course your comparing with a different plant and possibly a different production period. There were two versions of that snubber bracket installed at San Jose in 65. The later one is shaped differently from the ones I posted above and they have three holes though the bumper was still not typically installed there.  Believe the car was restored a while back and may just document a mistake on the part of the shop or they copied a detail someone before them did
Jeff Speegle