Author Topic: Clamp to attach thermactor air hose to air conditioning compressor  (Read 825 times)

Offline 66gtoldmansford

Hello,

I am looking for the clamp that attaches the thermactor air hose to the air conditioning compressor on a 1966 Mustang with thermactor.

Chuck

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Clamp to attach thermactor air hose to air conditioning compressor
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2022, 06:02:43 PM »
I might be able to get specs for you to make one. You would need to have a metal shear to cut the sheet metal stock. I made several a few years ago but have no extras left over.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 66gtoldmansford

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2022, 12:45:00 PM »
That would be great!

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2022, 09:06:41 AM »
Apologies for tardiness, a lot going on...
These specs taken from an original clamp off a 67 model year. Though many items differ for your 66, this should prove to be adequate information. Cut from essentially a 6-inch by .850 wide sheet metal stock (cut using a commercial sheet metal sheer). A 90-degree angle gets bent .9-inches from one end, the remaining 5.1 inches gets wrapped around a pipe or other round object (producing the loop), drill or punch a .425-inch diameter hole (centered within the bent end),  likewise a 2nd .425-inch hole at opposite end, equal distance from the end and then a couple of quick dips in Plastc-Coat similar to what is pictured.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 09:28:59 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2022, 01:01:35 PM »
Apologies for tardiness, a lot going on...
These specs taken from an original clamp off a 67 model year.
Does it have a Ford part number?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2022, 07:53:01 PM »
Does it have a Ford part number?
Jim
Not that I am aware of.. My 67 Engine Assembly Manual is not handy tonight. It is only used on Factory AC cars (in 67, I assume also in 66).

Disregard Jeff's arrow for the washer bag, the part we are speaking of is bolted to the top of the AC Compressor.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 07:58:40 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2022, 08:18:37 PM »
This one? If so, it's part of the "Holder Assy, C7AA-2979-A". It may be documented in Ford Car Parts.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2022, 08:53:41 PM »

Not the wire clamp. The one with the yellow arrow that secures the smog hose to the compressor.

This one? If so, it's part of the "Holder Assy, C7AA-2979-A". It may be documented in Ford Car Parts.
Jim
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2022, 12:03:31 AM »
That clamp's Ford part number is 376906-S (no finish or special treatment referenced on the assembly drawing) shown on the "1967 Mustang Engine Assembly Manual" (AM0157) pg 117, item 41 (it's also used in 1966). It is shown with dimensions in the "Ford Standard and Utility Parts Catalog, January 1969" (AM205) pg 42 where it has a "-S100" suffix, indicating the finish is on the drawing and would include the rubber coating.
Comparing the drawing and the picture, there may be a difference in the rubber coating. The drawing indicates a "dipped" rubber coat, the picture may show a formed rubber partially wrap around the clamp with the open portion exposed.
Jim

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2022, 08:49:36 AM »
That clamp's Ford part number is 376906-S (no finish or special treatment referenced on the assembly drawing) shown on the "1967 Mustang Engine Assembly Manual" (AM0157) pg 117, item 41 (it's also used in 1966). It is shown with dimensions in the "Ford Standard and Utility Parts Catalog, January 1969" (AM205) pg 42 where it has a "-S100" suffix, indicating the finish is on the drawing and would include the rubber coating.
Comparing the drawing and the picture, there may be a difference in the rubber coating. The drawing indicates a "dipped" rubber coat, the picture may show a formed rubber partially wrap around the clamp with the open portion exposed.
Jim
Jim, if referring to MY picture(s) within this thread, this is the result of a "sloppy dip" (on a reproduced part). I no longer have the original part. I can search to see if I took pictures of it but it (like Jeff's picture) was in somewhat deteriorated condition.
Richard Urch

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2022, 03:14:28 PM »
In my experiences with these, removed my share. the part did not have any identification stamped on it and there was not rubber wrap on any of them. No edges, seam, or anything other than where the rubber ends - simply dipped as described
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2022, 08:28:39 PM »
My comment on the covering of the clamp was an observation. It "looked" like it "may" be different. That's all.
Jim

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2022, 09:06:33 AM »
Well, we went off-topic a bit for a "Wanted Ad", perhaps information gathered here could be moved over to the 66 Mustang and 67 Mustang sections respectively.

I did find more pictures of the batch of 6 that I made several years ago now and many pictures taken of the ORIGINAL one that I used as a template for measurements.

*any picture with 7 clamps or clips, the odd one out is the original one. Other pictures with side-by-side views, you can see which is the original one.

Last picture, is the original one after it had been re-dipped prior to sending it back to its owner (Robert, username at this site "Duece").

Since these are not in high-demand nor reproduced, hopefully this helps others in producing one of their own, when needed.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 09:14:37 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch