Author Topic: Door tag decoding  (Read 1474 times)

Offline keeper

Door tag decoding
« on: January 10, 2022, 03:58:59 PM »
Hello, I have questions about my door tag decoding analysis.  Is there some where to look for breaking it down to determine what the codes represent. Attached is a tag I am looking at decoding. Thanks for any leads.
Keith 69 Mach1TopLoader/Vcode SJ

Offline jwc66k

Re: Door tag decoding
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 05:03:18 PM »
There's too many odd entries on that tag, so I recommend you get a Marti Report -
- https://www.martiauto.com/index.cfm
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline K-HESS

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 05:08:46 PM »
You should really order a Marti report for this car. The door sticker pictured looks to be something that a previous owner made. Some of the codes on the tag are not correct for a 1970 Mach1 with a 351-4V engine and being that some of the codes are completely incorrect I would suspect that the codes that could be decoded may not actually be original to this car. Better to get a Marti report to see what the true correct codes should be. 
The Little Devil-1969 Mach1 9T02Rxxx666 Built 10/21/68
A5-Raven Black, 3D-Dark Red Clarion Knit Vinyl, 4-Speed

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 05:23:46 PM »
Before we even get to the decoding of the information in the lower boxes the first thing that stands out is the fonts used in both the upper text and filling out the information below that on your example does not match what I've typically seen and documented for San Jose during 1970 production. On your example it also lacks the coding in the upper right corner of that label

- Over stamp of the VIN is not common. VIN suggests a 70 Mach I with a 351 4V. Never seen a letter at the end of the VIN on one of these
- Body type "53" matches the code used to identify a Ford Custom 500 that year
- Color code "B" was not used in 70 for a Mustang application but was for other Ford models
- "3F" for the interior was not used for a Mustang that year
- "V" would normally be for a 3.91 traction lock rear end
- "X" would have been the code for a FMX transmission
- "71" was the coding for a car ordered from the Southern Calif district

Could be an older reproduction.

Here is another example from the same time period and plant to compare to

Also notice that on the one you posted the size of the label is much larger than the original example I posted

Hope this helps

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline cobrajet_carl

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 01:10:22 AM »
Before we even get to the decoding of the information in the lower boxes the first thing that stands out is the fonts used in both the upper text and filling out the information below that on your example does not match what I've typically seen and documented for San Jose during 1970 production. On your example it also lacks the coding in the upper right corner of that label

- Over stamp of the VIN is not common. VIN suggests a 70 Mach I with a 351 4V. Never seen a letter at the end of the VIN on one of these
- Body type "53" matches the code used to identify a Ford Custom 500 that year
- Color code "B" was not used in 70 for a Mustang application but was for other Ford models
- "3F" for the interior was not used for a Mustang that year
- "V" would normally be for a 3.91 traction lock rear end
- "X" would have been the code for a FMX transmission
- "71" was the coding for a car ordered from the Southern Calif district

Could be an older reproduction.

Well obviously a bogus tag, but 3F was definitely used in 1970 and indicated a Ginger mach 1 interior. Also paint code B was used on 70 Shelby Mustangs. V code axles in M codes are uncommon but I have one and I have Marti reports for a couple of others although they are all 4 speeds. There were 70 mach 1s painted the same paint code as the B maroon, but they were special paint instead of B.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 12:15:12 PM by cobrajet_carl »
Carl
70 and 71 Dearborn mach Is

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2022, 01:45:33 AM »
Yep missed the "3F" right at the top of the section in the reference I was using

We may never find out if any of the coding is original to the specific car
Jeff Speegle

Offline cobrajet_carl

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2022, 11:50:11 AM »
Does the VIN on the repo tag match the dash and inner fender numbers? Also, a consecutive unit number of 148753 would more likely correspond to an April build date, not January. *EDIT* it does look like the tag indicates 04/70; don't know why I thought it was a 1.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 02:32:37 PM by cobrajet_carl »
Carl

Offline keeper

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2022, 02:21:30 PM »
There is a Marti report ordered. The interior is ginger and the rear end looks to be a big block rear end. It is repainted chestnut brown many years ago. That correlates with under hood factory color as well as trunk area.The previous owner must have panicked when he realized the tag was painted over and recreated a door tag. Who knows what happened. He mistakenly added a Ford "F" on the end of the window vin tag to the bogus door tag.
Thank you guys for the input.

Offline cobrajet_carl

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2022, 02:30:41 PM »
Cool, it will be interesting to see the Marti! Possibly a very unique car, maybe the factory color was code Y Chestnut Metallic? Is the axle tag or buck tag present?

Found this H code auto Y paint code Marti in my collection.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 01:15:36 PM by cobrajet_carl »
Carl

Offline keeper

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2022, 01:21:55 AM »
Carl,
Thank you for sharing this Marti report. I don't think San Jose cars had buck tags. This one does not have one on the top fender inner panel where they are supposed to be. I did take a snap shot of the rear end tag. Not real clear but ok. I hope this will help until the Marti comes in.

Offline K-HESS

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2022, 05:47:15 AM »
Axle tag code WES-AA is a 3.00 open axle and the date code of 0ED is 1970-May-4th week. Door code for this rear axle would be 6.

I also once had a 1970 Mach1 with Y paint and 3F interior, M-code.
The Little Devil-1969 Mach1 9T02Rxxx666 Built 10/21/68
A5-Raven Black, 3D-Dark Red Clarion Knit Vinyl, 4-Speed

Offline sah62

• Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2022, 08:01:50 AM »
I don't think San Jose cars had buck tags.

Some did. This one was found on a radiator support.
Scott Hollenbeck
Administrator, Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Owner, Muscle Car Research LLC
1970 Calypso Coral R-Code Mach 1 (10/69 T)
2019 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T AWD
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
(more non-Ford stuff)

Offline keeper

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2022, 11:35:24 AM »
 Interesting . Apparently it not a 3.91 axle  and I looked around both sides of radiator and never saw any thing. Thanks for the input guys. Looking forward to getting the new door tag and M report.

Offline cobrajet_carl

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2022, 12:31:34 PM »
Carl,
Thank you for sharing this Marti report. I don't think San Jose cars had buck tags. This one does not have one on the top fender inner panel where they are supposed to be. I did take a snap shot of the rear end tag. Not real clear but ok. I hope this will help until the Marti comes in.
Probably rules out the V axle code, but the date code for the axle seems a little late for that VIN to be original. Unless your Marti comes back with the car being produced behind schedule. For an M code auto a 3.00 axle is way more likely than a 3.91, especially with A/C. But of course you never know...until you do.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 01:37:59 PM by cobrajet_carl »
Carl

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2022, 04:16:57 PM »
Some did. This one was found on a radiator support.

Older thread on the subject with a few examples

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=9977.msg59165#msg59165
Jeff Speegle