Author Topic: K code valve covers question  (Read 770 times)

Offline k-code

K code valve covers question
« on: January 06, 2022, 08:46:18 PM »
Hi,

My k code stock chrome valve covers are long gone, replaced with closed letter Shelby style covers. My question:

Do the Shelby covers meet driver concours requirements?

Do aftermarket chrome HiPo valve covers meet driver concours requirements?

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 08:54:39 PM by k-code »
Andy
65 K code coupe, Dearborn, Dec 18, '64

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: K code valve covers question
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 01:09:00 AM »
Hi,

My k code stock chrome valve covers are long gone, replaced with closed letter Shelby style covers. My question:

Do the Shelby covers meet driver concours requirements?

Do aftermarket chrome HiPo valve covers meet driver concours requirements?

Thanks
Aftermarket chrome hipo valve covers that look the same as original are more appropriate for a K code Mustang in driver concours class . The point of the concours class is to get as close to the way the car came from the factory within the parameters of the driver exceptions. The Shelby style valve covers are not typically considered original on a non Shelby car.  Of course if there was original documentation that showed the valve covers were dealer installed before the first customer took delivery then they would be considered original.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline k-code

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 01:41:13 PM »
Aftermarket chrome hipo valve covers that look the same as original are more appropriate for a K code Mustang in driver concours class . The point of the concours class is to get as close to the way the car came from the factory within the parameters of the driver exceptions. The Shelby style valve covers are not typically considered original on a non Shelby car.  Of course if there was original documentation that showed the valve covers were dealer installed before the first customer took delivery then they would be considered original.
Thanks Bob, though I have excellent providence on my car, that change is lost to time. Tough to find original HiPo valve covers so I'll have to look at the aftermarket ones. As far as I can determine there are Scott Drake and Dynacorn. Not sure if one is better than the other, and how they look compared to originals. Can't seem to find that answer via my searches.
I thought I'd acquire used gold or blue ones and having them chromed until I got a price for chroming. Ouch!
Andy

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 02:15:20 PM »
MCA generally will allow over-the-counter accessories such as dress up kits without having documentation that a particular car came with it new.  At least in the 65-70 Mustang concours classes.

The only caveat with MCA is that excessive items could result in a deduction.  Normally 1, maybe 2 per major section are allowed, but I don't think that is written in the rules.  Basically, it is frowned upon (potential deductions) from adding too many of these items as the car becomes something that simply wasn't commonly seen when they were new.

Otherwise, I agree with Bob that the whole idea of concours is to restore a car back to what it looked like when delivered to original owner when it was new.  If you're not sure if the car came with the Cobra covers and have no documentation, then the default would be to go with stock chrome covers. 

On the re-chrome, if you have a super nice set of original steel covers, ask the chrome shop if they can do flash chrome as they were done originally.  This may or may not reduce the cost slightly.  These covers had a lot of imperfections in the surface from the forming process/mold and if they are chromed perfectly, they really don't reflect what they originally looked like.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline k-code

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 11:53:33 AM »
Thanks Charles and Bob, this is the direction I need.
My understanding is the Shelby, Powered By Ford closed letter, black finish weren't available until '66 and my car is a Dec '64 build so couldn't have been originally installed. I like the stock hipo covers anyway.
Andy

Offline kb65

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2022, 11:32:40 PM »
I believe the sd covers are correct except they put the gasket retainer slots on the bottom in the wrong place

ken
ken

Offline k-code

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2022, 02:26:11 AM »
I believe the sd covers are correct except they put the gasket retainer slots on the bottom in the wrong place

ken

Dynacorn make repros too, are they the same?
Andy