Author Topic: 66 San Jose Fastback Quarter Vent Rain Gutter Discussion  (Read 913 times)

Offline SFM6S1640

66 San Jose Fastback Quarter Vent Rain Gutter Discussion
« on: December 31, 2021, 12:08:20 AM »
NOTE: The following five posts were separated from a wanted ad to changed into a discussion of the fastback quarter vent inner rain gutter design and in turn, the related parts and configuration for 66 San Jose built fastbacks. A separate 66 Shelby discussion has been started

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=25916.new#new

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi all,

No one has a remnant of this shield?  Below is my guesstimate of what the basic shape looked like.  The residual glue left on the car suggests the upper edge is the only edge glued.  I am assuming the bottom edges are tucked into the side body cavity forward of wheel well.  Thoughts?

Cory
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 11:05:54 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 66 San Jose Quarter Vent Rain Gutter Discussion
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 12:18:16 AM »
There was rope caulk used to secure the plastic, so looking around the perimeter of the opening should give an idea of what the plastic looked like.  Although it wasn't optimal, it probably kept water from getting inside the car and wetting the carpet... that was probably the main (short term) goal.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 12:55:50 AM »
No one has a remnant of this shield?  Below is my guesstimate of what the basic shape looked like.  The residual glue left on the car suggests the upper edge is the only edge glued.  I am assuming the bottom edges are tucked into the side body cavity forward of wheel well. 
Attached is the best I can do, Oct 65 San Jose 66GT FB K. The "glue" looked like rubber cement so that's what I used to reattach it. I found mine to be a very rough cut item, and I'll "guess" about 0.032 inch thick. At the wheel well seam and bottom it was "tucked". Mine was "untouched" when I took the panel off.
My question is Shelby related - I assume the side scoops were added at the Shelby plant in Southern Cal, and to do that, the plastic shields came off. Did they get reinstalled? The second is a later Shelby interior (the owner prefers to not have his number used).
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 01:03:01 AM »
Attached is the best I can do, Oct 65 San Jose 66GT FB K. The "glue" looked like rubber cement so that's what I used to reattach it. I found mine to be a very rough cut item, and I'll "guess" about 0.032 inch thick. At the wheel well seam and bottom it was "tucked". Mine was "untouched" when I took the panel off.
My question is Shelby related - I assume the side scoops were added at the Shelby plant in Southern Cal, and to do that, the plastic shields came off. Did they get reinstalled? The second is a later Shelby interior (the owner prefers to not have his number used).
Jim
There would be no reason for SA to reinstall any drain system back into a 66 GT350 because the quarter window seals out any water just like the windshield and back glass. It would be a waste of labor time.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2022, 01:18:09 AM »
Jim

This as been a discussion on another site. There is a possibility (likely IMHO) that they may have been deleted (not installed) just as some other items were eliminated when they assembled cars that would become Shelbys. If this is what took place like many things a car could slip through from a worker not paying attention

Guess we can start a separate thread to search for an answer or at least an understanding at this point
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline SFM6S1640

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2022, 04:59:59 PM »
Hi all,

Thank you for your input.  Together we are smarter when we work together.

Below is an image that I have been able to piece together, with your help,  to illustrated what appears to be the evolution of the 65-66 Mustang fastback vent drip tray water management.  There are three configurations.

Configuration 1 would appear all 1965 Mustang fastback, including 65 GT350's and likely the first 252 66 GT350s with a drain tube and no water shield.

Configuration 2 is where I am having problems figuring out the time period.  Maybe very early 66 Mustang fastbacks.  It is a transitional configuration and may not be very many cars.  It has the provision for a drain tube, but not tube and has the water shield in place.

Configuration 3 appears to be most of the 1966 fastback production, because of the image posted earlier with absent drain tube fitting and water shield in place, the poster says it it an October 1965 build.  This is near the front end of 66 production.  The February 1966 Mustang fastback I own also has the absent trip tray fitting, but the water shield is long gone, but had to be there to manage any dripped water.

Relevant to the 1966 GT350 production, excluding the first 252 carry over cars,  it is indeterminate if the water shield was a delete item at the San Jose plant or Shelby American removed during the side scoop ducting pieces installation from inside the car, requiring the interior and quarter panels to be removed.  The water shield would have been in the way and likely removed then or was not installed at all.

Now near the end of the 1966 GT350 production, there is one example of a 66 GT350, May 1966 San Jose build in the last 150 GT350's to be built, that still had the water shield in place. I predict the reason is the ducting pieces, to avoid removing the interior and saving cost, were installed from outside the car through the 3+ inch holes cut into the side body and wheel well.  The water shield was no longer in the way, not disturbed and left in place.  At least in this one GT350.  The current estimate of SAI VIN's for outside ducting pieces is between 6S2022 to 2077 to the end 6S2374.  Based on one GT350 data point, it would appear that the water shield may not have been a delete item and was removed by Shelby American on the first 1769 to 1824 GT350's (does not include first 0252 cars.)  That also means there are near 297 to 352 very late GT350's that could have been built with water shield retained in place.

Until more date is collected, these are just estimates based on the limited data.  As more date is shared, adjustments can be made.  Anyone with more info to share?

I hope that helps.

Cory
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 05:39:39 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2022, 10:43:10 PM »
Running survey data Added in the related attachment material observations to the chart. Some of the projected/guessed dates shown below are based on other similar VIN numbers where we lack original door tag information. Of course these could be off by three weeks or so based on other documented examples from years we have data from..

VIN             Projected build date          Drain Nipple            Drain Tube             Water Shield          Adhesive
6R112795      Sept/?/65                               ?                          Yes                         Yes                             ?
6R130xxx      Oct/10/65                               ?                            ?                            ?                             Spray 
6R121xxx      Oct/18/65                              No                         No                         Yes                             ?
6R1578xx      Jan/10-16/66                        No                          No                          ?                               ?
6R163xxx      Feb/8-9/66                            No                          No                         No/Shelby                  ?
6R164xxx      Feb/8-10/66                           ?                            No                        Yes/Shelby                Spray
6Rxxxxxx      Feb/66                                   No                           No                         ?                               ?
6R22xxxx      Jun/22-Jul/12/66                    ?                              ?                           ?                             Dum-Dum             

« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 10:44:35 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2022, 10:50:03 PM »
First contribution for me on the subject - Included above

6R163xxx

Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 66 San Jose Fastback Quarter Vent Rain Gutter Discussion
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2022, 11:14:00 PM »
Happens to be a likely an early Feb or late Jan 66 built car. Though its a Shelby the picture shows the water shield and spray adhesive on the B pillar that was likely used to secure it originally or at least they tried

Also does it look like they also used spray adhesive along the rain gutter to hold the shield in place - hung it?  We've heard others describe and I've seen it where San Jose used a gray putty/dum-dum like product along that upper edge. Maybe they used both during different production periods

They did use a black dum-dum to seal around the vent assembly above the rain gutter. Believe it was only on three sides. Top and ends

6R164xxx

« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 11:29:45 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2022, 11:37:38 PM »
Next one  6R1578xx

Not much left to go on except the lack of the nipple for the hose

Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2022, 11:46:39 PM »
Two more examples

6R130xxx No clear view of the rain gutter design. No hose present. There is spray adhesive along the edge of the rain gutter

And a very late example. Again no clear picture of the train gutter and no water shield attached when the picture was taken but there does appears to be some of the light gray stuff that some of us have seen used to attached the water shield to the lip of the rain gutter

6R22xxxx

Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2022, 12:43:27 AM »
Running survey data Added in the related attachment material observations to the chart

VIN             Projected build date          Drain Nipple            Drain Tube             Water Shield          Adhesive
6R130xxx     Oct/10/65                                ?                            ?                            ?                             Spray 
6Rxxxxxx      Oct/65                                   No                          No                         Yes                             ?
6R1578xx      Jan/10-16/66                        No                          No                          ?                               ?
6R163xxx      Feb/8-9/66                            No                          No                         No/Shelby                  ?
6R164xxx      Feb/8-10/66                           ?                           No                         Yes                           Spray
6Rxxxxxx      Feb/66                                   No                          No                           ?                              ?
6R22xxxx      Jun/22-Jul/12/66                    ?                              ?                           ?                             Dum-Dum           
Jeff,
I believe the second entry is my 66 GT Fastback. The numbers are:
6R121xxx     Oct/18/65 (a Monday)              No                            No                            Yes                       Spray*
* I brushed on contact cement for installation so as to not get any over spray on the rest of the interior.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2022, 04:30:15 AM »
Jeff,
I believe the second entry is my 66 GT Fastback. The numbers are:
6R121xxx     Oct/18/65 (a Monday)              No                            No                            Yes                       Spray*

Thanks added. Odd that they would have guessed that the car would be built in October since so many examples entered (if done sequentially) with a similar VIN were assigned a Sept 65 date based on what the Jim's collected and published in their book
Jeff Speegle

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2022, 09:46:40 AM »
My late 9/65 scheduled SJ car 112796 has the water shield and the nipple.  I can't be sure about the hose because someone added a non-original hose at some point.

Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2022, 10:45:36 PM »
My late 9/65 scheduled SJ car 112796 has the water shield and the nipple.  I can't be sure about the hose because someone added a non-original hose at some point.

Can you recall how it was attached?  Spray or the dum-dum?
Jeff Speegle