Author Topic: Correct paint finishes on engine compartment parts and suspension parts  (Read 3445 times)

Offline BSIhotrods

Does anyone know a source for finding the correct paint finishes on engine compartment parts and suspension parts for a 1970 Mustang Boss 429, Dearborn, MI? Can anyone give me any pointers on generic assembly markings for 70 Boss 429? Does anyone have any pointers or common mistakes to look out for? Thank you for any input.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
make the search feature your friend. have you searched over at this forum too?? http://www.boss302.com/smf/index.php?board=12.0
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
First - welcome, glad you found the site

Was working on a list fro the FAQ sections but guess we can start it here first

Front steering  - Center link, strut rods, idler arm, pittman arm, tie rods and spindles were a somewhat dark heat treated bare steel with brighter machined surfaces where indicated.

Tie rod adjusters- were closer to a bare steel with nuts, washers and nuts a darker tone

Upper A arms- were bare steel (with machine and stretch marks from their forming. Hardened steel inner shaft and end caps (or what ever the formal term is)

Lower A arms- same as uppers but when completed they were dipped in semigloss black (inner end outward) up to about the strut rod attachment points

Front shock saddle.- Bare steel finish, no rubber pad for spring nor hole to retain them. Center shaft and bolts darker heat treated look

Front shocks- painted/sprayed semigloss black

Steering box - cast iron main body with brighter machined surfaces at the column end. Zinc or bare steel end cap and natural bare metal cover. Cover retaining bolts I've found were a bit dark.

Front Coil springs -

Remember the safety wire that uses two separate pieces of wires for each spindle to assure that the caliper bolts do not loosen. (believe a search here will help you find some original examples of the routing and wrapping)

Sure Bob will be by soon to double check my work :) He's always a welcomed help

Well that is a start - you asked for a long list. Might want to go through your specific needs

« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 08:46:15 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline drummingrocks

Wow, I'd never heard that original coil spring saddles lacked the rubber insulators.  I learn something new every day.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
NOT the insulators (between the center shaft and the saddle main body) but the rubber pads found on the service replacements. Often :( seen on cars at shows
Jeff Speegle

Offline BSIhotrods

Jeff Speegle Thank you, this is a great help!

Offline 68 S Code

Jeff the finishes you described are specific for just this year or generic for all the years up to 70? I guess I am asking does it apply to 68 as well. The darker finish you described for spindles, centerline, etc would be the tone you get with the gun bluing liquid?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Jeff the finishes you described are specific for just this year or generic for all the years up to 70? I guess I am asking does it apply to 68 as well. The darker finish you described for spindles, centerline, etc would be the tone you get with the gun bluing liquid?

Yes I would agree that this set of finishes (need to build one for each set of years FAQs since we so often get this question) would apply to 68's also

I have been able to reproduce the darkened and even the lighter tones with the use of the gun bluing. Just depends on how it's applied, how much is applied, and how much you work it once its on the metal
Jeff Speegle

Offline 68 S Code

Thanks for confirming.