Author Topic: WTB Hi Po Distributor for 66 Hertz  (Read 839 times)

Offline ChrisV289

WTB Hi Po Distributor for 66 Hertz
« on: December 22, 2021, 03:49:51 PM »
Looking for a dual point distributor for a 66 Hertz. Date code somewhere around late 65 to beginning of 66. Engine casting date is December 9, 1965 with a short block assembly date of march 1, 1966. Car was shipped to hertz between mid to end of March of 66.

Thanks in Advance
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline jwc66k

Re: WTB Hi Po Distributor for 66 Hertz
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2021, 07:18:54 PM »
I assume your "short block assembly date" is the one stamped near the distributor. A week before that date would be within reason. Also, try the HP Mustang Forum https://hipo-mustang.com/
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2021, 01:25:26 AM »
Unfortunately the stamp on the left pad by the water pump is gone due to the engine rebuild that took place in the late 70?s. The assembly date was also stamped on the mating area of the oil pan as well from my understanding and that is still present.
Chris
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2021, 12:05:14 PM »
Unfortunately the stamp on the left pad by the water pump is gone due to the engine rebuild that took place in the late 70?s. The assembly date was also stamped on the mating area of the oil pan as well from my understanding and that is still present.
I believe the date in the oil pan area is for when the block was machined. The other upper spot near the head/block area is for the date of the short block and other component assembly.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2021, 12:38:21 PM »
I believe the date in the oil pan area is for when the block was machined. The other upper spot near the head/block area is for the date of the short block and other component assembly.
The two dates have been previously identified as being one in the same.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2021, 03:30:48 PM »

+1 as previously discussed I believe in a number of other threads.

Don't think we've ever looked at the amount of time between the two or compared them in a discussion. Since one can not be easily seen I guess there has not been much interest. Possible subject for another investigation and discussion. Not sure how much data points can be found given we would need to focus on one engine plant
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Dan Case

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2021, 12:39:10 PM »
+1 as previously discussed I believe in a number of other threads.

Don't think we've ever looked at the amount of time between the two or compared them in a discussion. Since one can not be easily seen I guess there has not been much interest. Possible subject for another investigation and discussion. Not sure how much data points can be found given we would need to focus on one engine plant

I cannot tell you about six bolt block engines but five bolt High Performance 289 engine assemblies from the Cleveland engine plant 1963-64 the engine assembly date is usually the same date as on the oil pan rail but it could be a day or two later. I have not myself seen more than one day between the two dates on five bolt HP289 block assemblies. For five bolt block engines assembly date means a lot as Ford changed ancillary parts often in 1963-64. Ignition distributors, carburetors, cylinder head castings, spark plug wire revision levels, timing cover castings, how blocks were specifically machined, block engineering numbers, and etcetera used depend on stop and start dates for different designs and or revision levels.  It has taken decades to get a good grasp of all the running in model year changes. Some clues can be found in factory training manuals and year MPC files but beware that a MPC published at a later date will drop some information.  Ford made so many running changes I am still not sure how five bolt HP289 engines were configured if assembled in the roughly six weeks of June and half of July 1964.

I field questions from Cobra owners trying to return what is left of their original engines back to day one specifications.  With changes at the Ford Cleveland plant, something always changed in the April-May time frame, sometimes in June, sometimes in September, in December 1963, and in February 1964.  The engine assembly date is the key to understanding how any given five bolt HP289 engine was completed.
Dan
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2022, 05:39:25 PM »
Bump, still looking. Hoping to have the motor reassembled soon.

Thanks in advance
Chris
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2022, 03:15:20 PM »
Distributor found.

Thanks
Chris
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe