Author Topic: Radio block off plate - originally plastic or metal?  (Read 550 times)

Offline drummingrocks

Radio block off plate - originally plastic or metal?
« on: December 18, 2021, 08:39:59 PM »
I have a '65 GT coupe that was originally a radio delete car.  The original block off plate for the dash is missing.  I saw where a plastic reproduction is available.  Were the originals plastic or metal?  How hard is an original to find?
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline 67gta289

Re: Radio block off plate - originally plastic or metal?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2021, 09:06:43 PM »
Plastic.  The C4 prefixed part was not serviced by 1968, a C6 version was available.  The C6 part is reproduced.  I'm not aware of any differences, perhaps someone else can clue us in.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115085753205

John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2021, 09:26:45 PM »
There is actually no such thing as a radio delete.  A radio was an option, so standard equipment did not include it.  Only way to get a radio was either check the box on the order sheet or the dealer installed one.

As mentioned, the blank off plates were plastic.  '65 and '66 are different shapes due to the soft dash pad being different between the 2 years.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2021, 06:11:22 PM »
I have a '65 GT coupe that was originally a radio delete car.  The original block off plate for the dash is missing.  I saw where a plastic reproduction is available.  Were the originals plastic or metal?  How hard is an original to find?

They were a plastic piece. Sometimes the colored plastics used to make up the plastic were not well mixed creating a rainbow affect on the back side

As far as availability you might consider that you are competing with owners of 65 Shelby's for originals that turn up, likely one of the reasons the part was reproduced since so few Mustangs without a factory radio are out there and many of those had radios installed at the dealership who in turn likely tossed the plates.  Given your car sounds like a somewhat "loaded" car I would guess that it got a radio early in its life

Thought we had a thread on the subject with examples of each but could not find it. Easy to rectify - Look for a new thread in the general Interior section of the site :)

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=25848.msg159932#msg159932
« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 07:14:52 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)