Author Topic: 65 NJ - Under Dash Overspray?  (Read 941 times)

Offline vicjones999

65 NJ - Under Dash Overspray?
« on: November 21, 2021, 02:03:34 PM »
Question: On a 65 Mustang, my understanding is that underdash items were installed when the interior color was shot on the dash. One of those items is the Parking Brake Mechanism. What spray patern would be typical ? Second question, are there other components under the dash that also got hit with Interior Color during interior color spray? 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 04:07:09 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Under Dash Overspray?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2021, 02:27:48 PM »
you misunderstand. there was absolutely nothing installed on the unibody in that area during the painting process.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 06:06:41 PM by J_Speegle »
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2021, 04:25:10 PM »
vicjones999 welcome to the site Since this thread appears to not be judging related but instead about how the cars were painted and assembled going to move it over to a better fitting location on the site

you misunderstand. there was absolutely nothing installed on the unibody in that area during the painting process.

+1  Dash as well as doors and A pillars were painted even before the exterior of the car
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 06:06:48 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline vicjones999

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 06:02:16 PM »
Thank you for the quick repley. It is very helpful to know that nothing under the dash has interior overspray. Just running down a comment on a recent judging form.  :)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 06:06:56 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2021, 06:08:20 PM »
Thank you for the quick repley. It is very helpful to know that nothing under the dash has interior overspray. Just running down a comment on a recent judging form.  :)

Thanks fro explaining the motivation for the question. Since there is little space on the forms to write much maybe they were referring to have found overspray on something that should not have i. Just a possible explanation
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2021, 07:50:01 PM »
Thanks fro explaining the motivation for the question. Since there is little space on the forms to write much maybe they were referring to have found overspray on something that should not have i. Just a possible explanation
+1  . Too little space on the form typically to provide a in depth explanation. Also the judging scribe could be abbreviating what the judge is saying causing a misunderstanding.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline racincast

• may 65 FB Metuchen
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2022, 07:12:00 PM »
Hi, May ?65 FB Metuchen.
If I do primer first and then black on front dash I should have lots of spray under the dash, do I (no parts instaled under dash)?
Thanks

Fastback GT 5T09A16XXXX
WIMBLEDON WHITE
Black Interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2022, 08:13:01 PM »
Hi, May ?65 FB Metuchen.
If I do primer first and then black on front dash I should have lots of spray under the dash, do I (no parts instaled under dash)?
Thanks

Originally there would not be much primer up under the dash while more moving down the firewall since the painters didn't like to reach under the dash and spray upward.

As for dash paint overspray onto the firewall and above consider that all of the paint the gun was pushing out in pretty high volumes had to go some where when the spray pattern passed over the glove box , speedo, speaker, defroster and even the radio holes. In addition you would have some of the pattern produce direct/overspray when the applied paint along the bottom.

Lots of overspray?  Maybe better described as some some. Less or more depending on where on the firewall your looking at

Of course some or allot of this surface especially,  mid way to the bottom edge of the firewall would have body color overspray over the dash paint applied earlier depending on how thorough the painter was

Could not find any NJ examples so here are a couple of Dearborn and San Jose ones

On this one we can see the extent of the body color over and up the firewall on this side of the interior

This one is interesting and helpful sine someone has removed the dash allowing a better view of the panels behind it

On the passenger side we can see the extent the black dash and interior paint made its way into the opening for the glove box and above as well as some of the surfaces that didn't get paint or little of it as well as fading of the body color as it traveled up the firewall on this side of the interior

On the drivers side we can see the extent of the body color from the painter on this side of the car and the near bare surface of the panels over and behind the radio area

Jeff Speegle

Offline racincast

• may 65 FB Metuchen
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2022, 05:44:39 PM »
Thanks Jeff,
about underdash overspray, absolutely clear (the photo from what I found on mine) but now that body color paint on floor and firewall ...how and when it came?
Do it came from overspray when painting body exterior, from doors location painting A and B pillar and rockers, windscreen and side scoops and rear screen and trunk interior area?

also some questions for doors and other parts painted off the car...could you give me some words to search as not directly related to this subject I suppose. 
Fastback GT 5T09A16XXXX
WIMBLEDON WHITE
Black Interior

Offline racincast

• may 65 FB Metuchen
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2022, 05:48:38 PM »
here what I found
Fastback GT 5T09A16XXXX
WIMBLEDON WHITE
Black Interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2022, 06:35:34 PM »
here what I found

Since I don't see any reference your cars original color. See red in there but that could be from either application. As for what you found, we can see where someone rattle canned over the original dash paint and over the floor where there is been plenty of panel work. Because if this we can;t really see much of what was there originally just the red paint overspray behind the dash and other openings. Of course the red will blend into and over some of the red oxide paint also so the two colors together are difficult to figure out how much of one or the other there is on the surfaces 
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2022, 06:57:29 PM »
Do it came from overspray when painting body exterior, from doors location painting A and B pillar and rockers, windscreen and side scoops and rear screen and trunk interior area?

On the firewall behind the dash?

also some questions for doors and other parts painted off the car...could you give me some words to search as not directly related to this subject I suppose.

Doors were not painted off the car.  Doors, trunk lid (with springs), rear valance, rear bumper guard brackets as well as were the only items attached to the uni-body when the cars exterior paint was applied. As mentioned the interior paint sections of these parts were applied earlier.

Not sure if we have covered specifically 65 NJ uni-body paint and sealant threads. Did a search and found some references to 66 NJ undercarriages but nothing else at this point to my searches

Know I've not done a guide like I did for the San Jose cars. Much of the information is the same or very similar and it can be seen in the Library section of the site under the specific year heading.
Jeff Speegle

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2022, 07:01:36 PM »
You might want to search Mustang production video on YouTube. Look for the video of Martha and the Vandellas in the assembly plant. It will give you some ideas of how the cars were built.

There are other videos on YouTube if you search around
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 07:30:08 PM by Coralsnake »

Offline racincast

• may 65 FB Metuchen
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2022, 07:55:58 PM »
Thanks Jeff and Corasnake,
I think my car originally has red interior.
some little things:
1. How and when exterior paint color go to firewall and front floor area near firewall, overspray from exterior or direct paint? 
2. painting doors interior was done before or after exterior body painting?
3. door front area, seeing from front fender get only overspray, from door exterior, side cowl and A pillar painting?
4. rear area to B pillar side as bottom area all with exterior body color get paint with exterior paint or earlier or later?
5. Doors were half open or fully open when body get paint
6. Interior was isolated on all windows, windshield and rear glass to not have overspray inside the car.
7. ROCKERS panel get paint with doors open, so maybe missing some paint near A pillar
8. Inside truck get paint same time as Exterior body?
9. Rear floor area (under rear seats) get overspray from trunk inside painting

PS. video OK, got another from another member from FORD Plant but unfortunately not Mustang production...procedure seems the same

Fastback GT 5T09A16XXXX
WIMBLEDON WHITE
Black Interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2022, 10:29:39 PM »
Thanks Jeff and Corasnake,
I think my car originally has red interior.

And exterior color?

1. How and when exterior paint color go to firewall and front floor area near firewall, overspray from exterior or direct paint? 

Indirect. Remember that the guns put out allot of overspray in those days. So for the areas we're focusing on in this thread allot of the paint in these areas would come from painting the forward door jamb and top of sill/rocker panel

2. painting doors interior was done before or after exterior body painting?

Before then like the dash masked off with a precut mask. Reason the center of the doors (behind the door panel) was typically body color

3. door front area, seeing from front fender get only overspray, from door exterior, side cowl and A pillar painting?

Car was "jambed" first so areas surrounding the door and opening as well as trunk then the exterior including the side of cowl, A pillar and front surface of door and hinges

4. rear area to B pillar side as bottom area all with exterior body color get paint with exterior paint or earlier or later?

Part of exterior paint process but at the beginning. Not sure if there were three (one for trunk, and one for each side of the car or two guys doing it

5. Doors were half open or fully open when body get paint

Doors were pretty much fully close but with a fixture kept from the metals of the door and body touching one another. This would allow for the cars painted with metal flake to "lay" right and the paint coat to be consistent

6. Interior was isolated on all windows, windshield and rear glass to not have overspray inside the car.

Plenty of direct and indirect application of paint through the openings as the painters sprayed the edges then followed up with the painting the rest of the surfaces. If the spray pattern was maybe ten inches wide, for example,  in some areas two inches with cover what they were trying to coat while the other eight inches went into the cars interior. Most of the time the areas best covered would be the surfaces directly behind where they were aiming  and on the more hortizantal ones and the paint moved into the interior cavity and floated downward. Further distance or more vertical the thinner or lessor the paint overspray often

7. ROCKERS panel get paint with doors open, so maybe missing some paint near A pillar

Top of rockers (sills) when the door opening  was painted then the outer surfaces down to the pinch weld, with overspray onto the undersides of the body in following passes after the door was almost closed as mentioned above

8. Inside truck get paint same time as Exterior body?

Same line and area just before.

9. Rear floor area (under rear seats) get overspray from trunk inside painting

Typically got some paint from doing the door jamb and then from the paint that was directed towards it or overspray that floated down through the rear window, side window or other openings

As for the video check out in the one Pete listed above for a general idea of some of the process at Dearborn that year
Jeff Speegle