Author Topic: 67/68 Low Fuel Sensors  (Read 1302 times)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
67/68 Low Fuel Sensors
« on: February 28, 2011, 10:03:57 PM »
I'm refurbishing a 1968 safety convenience panel (low fuel, seat belts, parking brake, door ajar) wiring assembly, converting it into 1967 style.  At the same time for a different customer, I'm creating a 1967 harness as well.  I'm having to reverse engineer a resistor wire for the low fuel sensor relay, and in the process, I needed to know how the low fuel sensor worked.

It is a thermistor that dramatically lowers its resistance when there is no fluid to conduct the heat away from the sensor.  I've had the customers check their sensors, and asked a couple of friends as well to check theirs.  Of the five that have been checked, only one appears to work; the rest are all blown.  I have one on order from NPD, simply to assist in my engineering studies.

My question is: is it normal to have such a large percentage of these low fuel sensors go bad, or have I simply run into a streak?
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline ruppstang

Re: 67/68 Low Fuel Sensors
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 10:41:47 PM »
I have never found a original to work. They must have had a short life. I replace the one in our 67 GTA convertible and it has worked just fine. Marty