Author Topic: 70 Door panels and seat upholstery  (Read 1611 times)

Offline myboss

70 Door panels and seat upholstery
« on: November 01, 2021, 06:26:21 PM »
  Restoring my 70 Metuchen BOSS 302 again , and would like to replace the door panels as they are split at the door cups . Any recommendation's to the best supplier of them . Also the drivers seat cushion upholstery is flaking and would like to replace both seats with new upholstery and pads . Need a source for those also , now I know the comfort weave is not correct on repo covers but could live with that if now other options are available. This is a deluxe black interior .
   When I first restored the car in 85, there just wasn't a lot of parts out there , now there is much more but a lot of parts are not correct . Not looking to be concours here just as nice of a driver as possible .   I have owned this  car since 77   :)

thanks

Dan in phoenix
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 06:28:14 PM by carlite65 »

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
Re: 70 Door panels and seat upholstery
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2021, 07:44:15 PM »
Interesting, as I could have written this same post.
Interested to hear about the door panels and seats as both of mine need replacing too.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx Boss 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2021, 12:19:10 AM »
First welcome to the site Dan. Hope you find the information and support you are looking for to help you through your restoration projects

Don't know that there are many different makers of the reproduction panels likely all or most of the shops are selling the same ones.

Just one example This one from NPD. Don't believe all the 70 colors are available

https://www.npdlink.com/product/door-panels-deluxe-white-black-carpet/138330?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fpage%3D2%26search_terms%3Ddoor%252Bpanel%26top_parent%3D200001%26year%3D1970&year=1970

Now having originals recovered/restored is another thing.  Typically one man shops that can disappear on any day

As far as seats and the comfort weave has been an source for many threads. It was often suggested that you purchase better material and have that sent to the company that makes the seat kits to use. Takes a little more effort but has been done so many times the process is not that difficult. Now supply change or some other issues has affected the availability from my understanding. If you look up past threads as well as more current ones you find allot more information
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline scottwo

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2021, 06:17:54 PM »
Anyone try door panels from this company?

https://mustangmarket.com/door.htm

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2021, 10:29:12 PM »

I've not but wanted to again warn members that the MCA statement is not true. MCA  gave up on "approving" parts over a decade ago and Ford licensing only means that they paid a fee not that a part is any closer to an original than anything else. IMHO just a couple of attempts to get you to spend their money with them and to believ that this or another product is superior to another without these claims
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2021, 12:38:06 AM »
Keep in mind that there are around a dozen SELLERS of Mustang related items, but in many instances, only a couple of manufacturers. I recommend you ask the seller whose parts, door panels in this case, they sell. NPD will take the time and tell you, at least the one in California will.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Scott302

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2021, 01:19:56 PM »
TMI or Universal Urethane depending on the options.
Regards,
Scott
Scott Halseth
Ford Product Manager
National Parts Depot
MCA#01776

Offline ClevelandKid

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2021, 06:52:40 PM »
MustangMarket.com hands down. I bought a set for my 70 Boss and they fit perfect. Made in the USA too. And they are half the price of NPD.
Mustang country. Get the women,kids and Chevys off the streets.

Offline hopey

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2021, 11:03:09 PM »

https://mustangmarket.com/door.htm

A couple years ago I struggled to find anyone to restore my originals, so bought reproductions until I could get them done.

I  looked at several manufacturers of reproductions including visiting NPD in Ocala where Rick & the team are always super helpful. Anyway, I came to the conclusion that the Mustang Market deluxe door panels were closest looking to the originals from Ford -

Specifically the grain and also the molded details, Eg the profile and detail around the remote mirror control was most like the originals.  What is not so good is the plastic backing which seems to impact the way the retaining clips secure the panel to the door. Both David at DSD and subsequently myself have found it takes some fiddling to get the clips in a position that they do not cause an indentation on the front face of the panel.

This discussion reminded me I really should get on and attempt to repair/restore my originals.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 11:09:43 PM by hopey »
1970 BOSS 302
Built 11/15/69 Dearborn

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2021, 08:26:57 PM »
Gene and Alan Painter at Painters panels.  South Carolina.  They do 70 mach 1 door panels.  If you're not in a hurry, they have done mine right and very reasonable!

Dan

Offline myboss

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2021, 12:07:46 PM »

Thanks Jeff , I usually haunt the BOSS 302 site , thought I would come over here and get some info . Would like to use my door panels as they are in good shape other than split at the door cups. Got contact info for Gene Painter ???  Goggled it and came up with a house painter in SC. As far as door panels go , If I replace them was leaning towards the TMI panels as the Mustang Mart ones are plastic and would rather have the Masonite backing. The seat covers and foam look like TMI also has the best products. You think ??

thanks guys

Dan

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2021, 04:11:22 PM »
Try Gene Painters door panels in Simpsonville South Carolina.  I believe his son Alan is now doing panels with him. 

Dan

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2021, 05:24:56 PM »
Try Gene Painters door panels in Simpsonville South Carolina.  I believe his son Alan is now doing panels with him. 
A search for "Gene Painter Door Panels" (duckduckgo.com) indicated that Gene Painter is either: deceased; paints doors in houses; is out of business.
This is what I came up with: 132 Kingswood Circle Simpsonville, SC 29681 (864) 297-0342
Good luck,
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline myboss

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2021, 05:06:24 PM »

Called that number says " the person you are trying to reach has not set up voice mail"........  huh

Dan

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2021, 07:33:04 PM »
Dan,

That's a good number.  I talked to Alan Painter the other day on it.  Just have to call them during the week and hope they answer.  They are really busy and spotty communication but they are legit.  I have a pair of panels there now that they called to update me on.  Just have to be patient if you have the time.

Hope that helps,
Dan