Author Topic: 1969 Mustang Shock Tower Mounts with Washer  (Read 1908 times)

Offline QKSLVER

1969 Mustang Shock Tower Mounts with Washer
« on: October 31, 2021, 03:30:42 PM »
Can anybody enlighten me on why they added a washer to the top of these shock tower mounts?  The shock tower mounts on my san Jose built, July 1969, car have this modification.  I realize they did this on the Shelbys of this vintage, but wasn?t aware of it being on any other vehicles.  I am also trying to determine the reasoning for this modification.  Thanks for the help.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 07:49:01 PM by QKSLVER »
1969 Mustang Mach 1 w/390
1984 Saleen Mustang Clone
2006 Shelby GT350 Concept Vehicle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1969 Mustang Shock Tower Mounts with Washer
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 03:53:59 PM »
Can anybody enlighten me on why they added a washer to the top of these shock tower mounts?  The shock tower mounts on my san Jose built, July 1969, car have this modification.  I realize they did this on the Shelbys of this vintage, but wasn?t aware of it being on any other vehicles.  I am also trying to determine the reasoning for this modification.  Thanks for the help.

Same question as I sent you earlier. You  might have missed it

Was your car originally an export car as indicated on the door tag or possibly the buck tag if so equipped?

The thought was that the addition washer spread out the impacts from the shock and connected suspension when the suspension was fully extended in a rapid motion IMHO. Part of the export package that classic Shelby's were ordered with
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline QKSLVER

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2021, 07:47:22 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Nothing in any of the original documentation or paperwork shows it destined to be an export car.  Had wondered if it were related to the big block motor, such as the added shock tower bracing.  Can?t explain it, but they appear to be in good shape so they?ll remain with the car.
1969 Mustang Mach 1 w/390
1984 Saleen Mustang Clone
2006 Shelby GT350 Concept Vehicle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2021, 09:18:27 PM »
So likely a 71 or 72 DSO on the car I guess. Since its a San Jose car you likely didn't find a build sheet though more 69's have been found and shared than other years

Unfortunately these are not dated to to possibly providing additional clues to the origin of them
Jeff Speegle

Offline clussier2

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2024, 02:04:18 PM »
Hi Jeff,

This just came up over the weekend for my 1969 428 4-speed power steering disc brake Metuchen car over the weekend. We were looking at a collection of Boss 429, GT-500 cars and the owner brought up about the washer and that my car should have them. My question is SHOULD my car have these or was this just a GT-500 car. I will look for a reply to this, if I do not get one, I will reach out directly to you.

Thanks
Craig

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2024, 02:49:06 PM »
Hi Jeff,

This just came up over the weekend for my 1969 428 4-speed power steering disc brake Metuchen car over the weekend. We were looking at a collection of Boss 429, GT-500 cars and the owner brought up about the washer and that my car should have them. My question is SHOULD my car have these or was this just a GT-500 car. I will look for a reply to this, if I do not get one, I will reach out directly to you.

Thanks
Craig
Your 1969 428 4 speed Metuchen car would not typically have the reinforced upper shock bracket with the welded on washer. The washer was added on some export cars and was typical on 65-70 Shelby's .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline clussier2

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2024, 03:18:32 PM »
Thanks for the clarification Bob.  Much appreciated.
Craig

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2024, 05:10:50 PM »
Hi Jeff,

Looks like Bob handled your question for you. Yes remember that when looking at cars and comparing them note where they were built and when. Then from there, if they match your car try and determine if the detail is correct for your car and if the other owner was just borrowing details from possibly a Dearborn or San Jose car. Happens all the time when the owner or builder get lazy or hit the EASY button rather than fully doing their own homework that for you and many others includes using this site.
Jeff Speegle

Offline specialed

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2024, 09:13:30 AM »
All boss 429s along with shelbys had the added  welded washers and were painted black and i always thought they painted the welded  D washer type black to hide the welding flash look.