Author Topic: Disc Brake Caliper Assembly & brake hose-to-Line Mounting  (Read 520 times)

Offline Angela

Disc Brake Caliper Assembly & brake hose-to-Line Mounting
« on: October 15, 2021, 07:08:50 AM »
Would anyone be kind enough to post a picture or two of the correct factory front disc brake caliper assembly mounted to the spindle on a '70? I'm working on my '70 Dearborn Mach1 and I'm doubting my recollection of (a) how the caliper assembly assembles, (b) mounts to the spindle and (c) whether or not the brake hose mounts to the frame rail with the brake line fitting facing towards the front, or to the rear of the car.

My eyesight is terrible and I can't discern these details from the assembly line drawings or those provided in the shop manual.

I don't trust google images in this case, because there are so many aftermarket options which mount the caliper on either front or rear of the spindle.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
Re: Disc Brake Caliper Assembly & brake hose-to-Line Mounting
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 01:15:29 PM »
I've done two things to help with reading the Assy Manual.

One, take a scan or phone pic of the page and then fire up your desktop, laptop or tablet and zoom in. This works really well if your vision is really lousy.
High resolution on the scanner or phone helps a lot.
If you have a good phone you can really zoom in on the pic, as well.

Two, if you have an android phone get the app "Glass Magnifier". You can really zoom in on the fine details of the Assy Manual. This app also allows you to take a pic of the magnified area.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx Boss 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 05:18:20 PM »
Let's see if this will help some. Warning - not all finishes are going to be nice and or something you will want to duplicate. So double check the small details

(a) how the caliper assembly assembles,

(b) mounts to the spindle

(c) whether or not the brake hose mounts to the frame rail with the brake line fitting facing towards the front, or to the rear of the car.

A- Not many parts. Basically piston, main body and dust shield. Drawings likely the best for this detail

B- With two large bolts through the spindle bot secured with safety wire

Location of both mounting bolts

C- Hose to frame rail. On both sides the hose is attached so that the hose section comes into the adapter/block from the front and the solid brake line enters from the rear

« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 05:27:34 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Angela

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2021, 02:18:41 PM »
Thanks a ton Jeff!!!

Also thanks to Bill for the tip on magnification. :-)