Author Topic: Understanding four speed markings  (Read 745 times)

Offline Blue86hatch

Understanding four speed markings
« on: October 14, 2021, 09:56:08 PM »
I?m needing help reading paint markings. I?d like to use them but don?t want to interpret them wrong. 70 Dearborn car.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Understanding four speed markings
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 12:04:22 AM »
First welcome to the site hope you find the site useful in your concours related endeavours

Unfortunately can see any of your pictures. Not sure how you up loaded them or where they are hosted Since your new to the site

We don't always understand markings applied to all parts, especially ones that likely passed through many hands and or were parts of subassembles So decoding some of the marks

Are just about impossible at this point years later though some were for identification, were for location/attachment and identified what car they were to be installed in it appears depending on the year and car assembly plant.

Not sure if you have checked out the articles in the Library section of the site but the latest article posted is on the basic toploader markings that might help with some of what your likely asking. Just go to the section and choose 1970 then go down the list to find it.

If the pictures include partial or obscured markings try posting them again or differently and e can try and help. Fair number of other examples, shared by others,  that should be the same transmissions.

Again welcome
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 12:30:39 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Blue86hatch

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 12:19:21 AM »
Testing a photo

Offline Blue86hatch

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 12:21:55 AM »
Pictures

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2021, 12:54:35 AM »
Works now. Did want to mention that Marcus also recently did a toploader article that does include some paint mark infromation but mostly is focused on other finishing details. Mine was created just for the paint mark subject

For the easy ones

- Bottom pictures shows the GAZ stamp identified the RUG-AZ transmission. Identified as a transmission for a 428 CJ in 70.
RUG-AZ is visible on the transmission tag and was listed on the buildsheet

- Second from the bottom. Sometimes we find a short stubby line or daub in that location. Two different colors have been documented - yellow being one. 

The rest of the "writing" to this point is unexplained and not very consistent other than general patterns. Like yours

-Typically there is a large single number in bold yellow. Yours appears to be a "2" under the GAZ stamp location. Years ago I provided a -AV stamp and a couple of others to the 428 Cobra Jet website so they could loan it between members. Might want to check over there as to who has it currently. Hopefully it didn't get lost somewhere. Did the same for the Boss 302 site for the same reasons.

https://www.428cobrajet.org/forum/index.php?topic=23135.msg155373#msg155373

- The blueish green marking on the forward bottom of the transmission is often applied closer to the filler but they didn't care where it was and likely was chosen depending on how the main case was sitting on the bench or could have been a result of a left handed worker compared to a right  handed application.

I would suggest for these freehand marks that you use rice or copy/trace paper, save them and reapply them as found on you restored transmission. If you want to check for one markings check the tail shaft housing, the forward flange (where the trans sits against the bell housing on the drivers side as shown in the Library article I mentioned

In addition you will find an article in the Library about typical markings

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: June 23, 2023, 10:42:04 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2021, 10:36:33 PM »
Adding this here as well as photos may help in what I put together.

1967 to 1973 Ford 4 Speed Toploader Identification and Detailing Guide

https://secureservercdn.net/198.71.233.167/xnm.126.myftpupload.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/Toploader-67-to-73-1.4_opt.pdf

Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2021, 01:02:49 AM »
Marcus great read. Just so some 67 owners don't get confused I think it is relevant to mention that the 67 toploaders if VIN stamped were done on the bottom rear of case flat pad area. 68 is when it changed to the front ear as you indicated.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2021, 06:42:01 PM »
Marcus great read. Just so some 67 owners don't get confused I think it is relevant to mention that the 67 toploaders if VIN stamped were done on the bottom rear of case flat pad area. 68 is when it changed to the front ear as you indicated.

Believe you are making a reference to San Jose build and stamped Mustangs & Shelby's. Do have examples of Dearborn built Mustangs where they continued to stamp the main body similar to the prior year
Jeff Speegle