Author Topic: 1969 MUSTANG RADIATOR  (Read 688 times)

Offline lmennis

1969 MUSTANG RADIATOR
« on: October 06, 2021, 02:29:13 AM »
I am restoring a 1969 Mustang with a 302 engine. The radiator, not the original one, needs to be replaced. I really do not want to put an aluminum radiator in the car although I know that would be the easiest to get. I'd like to have one that looks original but people I have talked to say the "replacement" radiators are generally very poor quality. Most, if not all, are made in China and are a poor substitute compared to the quality of the original. Is there ANYONE who actually makes a high quality correct looking and fitting radiator? Anything NOT made in China? Is NOS even an option? I assume not but who knows? The car does not have A/C but I might add it down the road.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 1969 MUSTANG RADIATOR
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 02:57:24 AM »
I am restoring a 1969 Mustang with a 302 engine. The radiator, not the original one, needs to be replaced. I really do not want to put an aluminum radiator in the car although I know that would be the easiest to get. I'd like to have one that looks original but people I have talked to say the "replacement" radiators are generally very poor quality. Most, if not all, are made in China and are a poor substitute compared to the quality of the original. Is there ANYONE who actually makes a high quality correct looking and fitting radiator? Anything NOT made in China? Is NOS even an option? I assume not but who knows? The car does not have A/C but I might add it down the road.
Check National Parts Depot (NPD) offerings. The ones they sell typically look like Ford unless noted. FYI be sure you get the 24 inch wide version (typically came on A/C cars) for the most cooling .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline dsc2

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 09:41:14 PM »
Your best bet is to find a used one and have it recored. I purchased a 3 row 20" unit from NPD and replaced the top and side plates with used originals. It is quite hard to tell the difference visually when installed.
Not real sure about what the quality issues are you referring to, but I found most radiators were made in Mexico.
69 Grande 302 auto original interior
Dearborn 3/69

Offline lmennis

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 12:59:42 AM »
My question for Bob is about any modifications that would be need to be made to go from a 20" which the car came with to a 24" which would be better. The car does not have A/C but my question is what changes would need to be made to make the 24" radiator fit?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2021, 01:16:38 AM »
My question for Bob is about any modifications that would be need to be made to go from a 20" which the car came with to a 24" which would be better. The car does not have A/C but my question is what changes would need to be made to make the 24" radiator fit?
A fan shroud is highly recommended (NPD) but not a absolute necessity. You will need the 4 clips and the 4 mounting screws for the sides of the radiator to hold on the fan shroud if used (NPD) . You will also need the lower brackets which is what the larger radiator bottom tank sits on (NPD).The top and bottom radiator hoses are the same regardless of radiator. You will also need a 67/68 style of upper radiator support bracket (NPD) and 4 fender type bolts to hold the top of the tank to the radiator support .  The higher capacity radiator was used in A/C applications. There is not anything that is different about the radiator other then a higher cooling capacity .
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 01:19:25 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby