Author Topic: Metuchen, Fender Bolts ID Request  (Read 1292 times)

Offline alanmac

Metuchen, Fender Bolts ID Request
« on: September 17, 2021, 02:42:48 PM »
My fender bolts are likely not correct due to disassembly twice and replacement of some bolts with incorrect AMK hardware. I would like to determine the bolt manufacturers ID's that were used around my build date for the following. 

12 total fender bolts top, 57039-S39
2 total fender bolts upper door frame. 57039-S2
2 total lower fender front, 57039-S2
2 total lower front fender rear, 57140-S2
4 total fender front / radiator support, 57039-S2 (bolt installed from the wheel well side, 45268-S2 clip nut on the fender?)   

I assume all 57039-S2 bolts used on my car were made by the same manufacturer?  Does anyone have an original NJ car around my build date and is willing to provide the bolt manufacturers ID's?  Any help is appreciated.  Alan 
1970 Mustang Mach 1
351W Shaker Hood
Built at Metuchen
1 of 186 with these paint/trim codes
Build Date: October 7, 1969
0T1190xx
Dealer: Maguires Garage Inc. Duncannon PA

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Metuchen, Fender Bolts ID Request
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2021, 07:10:23 PM »
I assume all 57039-S2 bolts used on my car were made by the same manufacturer? 

Most likely and the easiest for you typically. There were cars built with a mixture from two different sources as the workers assigned to the task ran out of one style (at their location in the plant) and another worker resupplied them by either pouring more in their container or replacing the container and tossing the remained of the earlier one on top before going on to other tasks

Not allot of good pictures since NJ cars often got the worst of rust and age.

Looking at pictures they all of the fender bolts (with washers) appear to be a zinc or cad color.

Only have a few examples of the head markings used the general period of production at NJ that you identified Appears that during the period prior to your car being built both the S over the T was used as well as the single N in the center style

Here are some examples from the period prior to you cars that were posted earlier in another thread showing the head markings

0T1129xx N style

0T1158xx N style

0T1199xx  S over T

0T1292xx S over T

And another "N" from 0T145xxx

And some examples showing the finish or at least the coloration

« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 07:15:48 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 08:20:45 PM »
Only have a few examples of the head markings used the general period of production at NJ that you identified Appears that during the period prior to your car being built both the S over the T was used as well as the single N in the center style
It's actually the other way around. The "S" is under the symbol for grade 5.1, a symbol that is easier to explain as an inverted "T" and it's over the "S", or, as you identified it, the "S over the T". Either way, both symbols are needed to identify the bolt.
Looking at pictures they all of the fender bolts (with washers) appear to be a zinc or cad color.
It's the old "the pictures" vs "the book" argument. Which judge do you satisfy, the zinc plated one, or the phosphate and oil one?
Jim

I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline alanmac

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2021, 09:06:22 PM »
Jeff and Jim thanks for the replies. 

Fender bolts top (12 req.)  The Dave Graham factory assembly manual lists Cadmium plated finish on these bolts. As I remember my badly rusted originals in 1979 were either Cad or Zinc.  I am not sure If I kept any of these bolts in my bin of bolts.  I do have 1 original N bolt (that fits the specs) with three dashes that looks zinc or cad plated.  I may not be able to determine the exact manufacturers ID used on my car or 12 req. of the same.  AMK reproduces three fender top bolts with RBW (Cad), Flag (Zinc), and GL (Zinc).  My car currently has the flag bolts from AMK.

Fender front / radiator support (4 req.),  The Dave Graham factory assembly manual lists 57039-S2 which is Phosphate +oil finish.  I see in your picture on the green car,( and other supposedly unrestored cars) the bolt is Cad or Zinc.  What is correct?  Another issue is in the assembly manual the bottom bolts are as shown as installed from the wheel well side with the 45268-S2 clip nut on the fender.  I see in your pictures the top bolts are installed from the front near the headlight bucket. I have seen this on other unrestored cars listed at this forum.  The assembly manual doesn't show the top bolt assembly.  Do you have any pictures of the lower front bolt fastened to the radiator support? I am wondering if the top bolt is installed from the front and the bottom bolt is installed from the wheel well side.  (update2, I found in the unrestored section a SJ H code deluxe coupe, and a red 70 Dearborn CJ, both have the upper bolt from the headlight side and the lower bolt from the wheel well side).   Thanks again for your input.   Alan     

« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 12:31:12 PM by alanmac »
1970 Mustang Mach 1
351W Shaker Hood
Built at Metuchen
0T1190xx

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2021, 09:38:16 PM »
please enlighten me on 'dave graham factory assembly manual'......never heard of this one.
5F09C331248

Offline alanmac

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2021, 09:47:07 PM »
please enlighten me on 'dave graham factory assembly manual'......never heard of this one.

Its a CD, 69 and 70 Factory Assembly Manuals, 8 volumes.  Official licensed product of Ford.  I bought it from either NPD of CJ. Alan
1970 Mustang Mach 1
351W Shaker Hood
Built at Metuchen
0T1190xx

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2021, 11:13:23 PM »
They are the same Ford drawings found in the Osborn collection from what I?ve seen.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2021, 04:38:30 PM »
............... I see in your picture on the green car,( and other supposedly unrestored cars) the bolt is Cad or Zinc.  What is correct? 

If done correctly you likely will not be able to tell the difference on the finished product with your eye. A dulled zinc has passed "inspection" many a time

Another issue is in the assembly manual the bottom bolts are as shown as installed from the wheel well side with the 45268-S2 clip nut on the fender. 

Remember its just the assembly manual - only a guide as to how Ford thought or wanted the car to be assembled at the time that specific page was printed. Plants and workers choose in some cases to find something that worked better and quicker for them or based on differences on how the different lines were laid out or how the workers were positioned. Depending on plant we have documented the difference in the direction of these bolts through all the years and is often a mistake we see on cars when they follow just the assembly manual or before that low mileage unrestored cars built at another plant or even a different part of the country. Example a San Jose car being built in the north east or the other way around

I see in your pictures the top bolts are installed from the front near the headlight bucket. I have seen this on other unrestored cars listed at this forum.  The assembly manual doesn't show the top bolt assembly.  Do you have any pictures of the lower front bolt fastened to the radiator support? .............

Will look but not sure if I have any clear front wheel well pictures looking forward under there
Jeff Speegle

Offline alanmac

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2021, 02:50:12 PM »
Good point Jeff.  I believe the bottom front 2 bolts are S2 and are installed from the wheel well side since I have seen two pictures of it the unrestored section. I believe the upper two front bolts are S39 finish and installed from the front (many pictures in the unrestored section are this way).  The one I am not sure about is the 2 total fender bolts @ upper door frame.  Are they S2 or S39?  Alan

« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 03:48:31 PM by alanmac »
1970 Mustang Mach 1
351W Shaker Hood
Built at Metuchen
0T1190xx

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2021, 05:28:48 PM »
........................... The one I am not sure about is the 2 total fender bolts @ upper door frame.  Are they S2 or S39?  Alan

Same bolts and finish as all the upper ones. Nice thing is that these were typically better sheltered from the elements so not as many rusty ones =. Just fewer pictures

Jeff Speegle

Offline alanmac

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2021, 07:10:44 PM »
Awesome, thanks Jeff! 
1970 Mustang Mach 1
351W Shaker Hood
Built at Metuchen
0T1190xx

Offline alanmac

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2022, 08:18:37 PM »
Back at this again.  I found a picture of an unrestored Metuchen boss with N bolts on top of the fender.  It was very rusty and no signs of it having a wrench on it. The build date on the marti report was Nov 11, 69.  Another good data point.  I was the one that initially took my car apart in 79, I apologize for replacing my fender bolts with the wrong ID marked bolts.  I looked thru my bolt bin and didn't find any S bolts.  I did find two N bolts with black under the washer.  I expect these were from the latch support mounted to the radiator support.  Does anyone have 57039-39 bolts?   I need another 27!  Alan     
1970 Mustang Mach 1
351W Shaker Hood
Built at Metuchen
0T1190xx

Offline alanmac

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2022, 01:48:38 PM »
I added my consecutive build number to my profile. 0T1190xx, the closest picture from Jeff is 0T1199xx which is the S style.   
1970 Mustang Mach 1
351W Shaker Hood
Built at Metuchen
0T1190xx