Author Topic: Strut rods  (Read 2352 times)

Offline specialfinds

Strut rods
« on: February 21, 2011, 11:26:38 AM »
HI
On the front strut rods did they get that dark color like the tie rods and spindles or should it be lighter like natural steel(april 69).THANKS

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Strut rods
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 04:01:23 PM »
Since they were heat treated steel we would expect that they tone or color fo the metal would be similar to that of the cast section of the tie rods
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline specialfinds

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 07:12:19 PM »
Thanks Jeff wasn't sure if they got treated also.

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 07:51:24 PM »
 It's my opinion the strut rods on all 65-73 Mustangs were bare steel as tie rods prior to 1970. They were heat treated but cooled with water rather than oil so they did not turn dark like Spindals. The 70-73 tie rods were dark similar to spindals. Just my observations.

Offline specialfinds

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 10:34:41 AM »
hi
Things get confusing at times lol.These days i'm seeing 3 types of coloring,years ago everyone was using cast than came the steel now the phosphate.Are you saying tie rods and strut rods are cast,steel or phosphate coloring.So the treatment of today is not the same,cause you buy new rods today and they are pretty dark not as light as the cast colors.THANKS

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 09:31:45 PM »
Not sure if today everything fits neatly into one of three colors. You might be referring to the use of rattle cans in an effort to reproduce the original looks.

Rather than trying to describe - "a little darker" - "a little lighter"  here is a picture that I hope will help more. To me its a darker than bare or cast steel - the picture should be helpful in suggesting a tone or tint of finished metal. Consider that it is a range not an exact specific tone, IMHO as long as your close you should be in good shape.

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline specialfinds

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 02:52:34 AM »
Thanks again Jeff.That's what i meant darker and yes using rattle can.Been playing a bit looking pretty good,sure lot better than using cast.