Author Topic: 68 GT 390 Correct Air Cleaner  (Read 3187 times)

Offline duffman

68 GT 390 Correct Air Cleaner
« on: August 03, 2021, 05:35:19 PM »
I am not certain my air cleaner on my early 4peed GT390 San Jose car is correct.
My questions are as follows;
1. What is this from?
2. Which is correct?
3. Assuming it is not, any direction on where to obtain?

Thank you

Born on 12/14/17 San Jose 68 S Code convertible 4speed, deluxe interior & seatbelts, 8 track in console, 3:25 Conv rear, GT package, PS, PDB,PT, Convenience Panel, Visibility, Reflective & Blackout packages

Offline TonyH

Re: 68 GT 390 Correct Air Cleaner
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2021, 09:07:41 PM »
Looks like a repro of the 67 air cleaner.

It should have the snorkel, s-tube and heatshield.  Air cleaner also has a vacuum actuator on the side of the air cleaner.

Pic of the 68 setup attached.  Really hard to find as it was only produced one year and the actuators are extremely rare.

v/r
Tony
Tony

Driven San Jose 2/23/68 8R02S1427XX
Lime Gold GT Fastback

Offline duffman

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2021, 09:15:44 PM »
Tony,

Thanks, that was what I was afraid of....  now onto the hunt!
Born on 12/14/17 San Jose 68 S Code convertible 4speed, deluxe interior & seatbelts, 8 track in console, 3:25 Conv rear, GT package, PS, PDB,PT, Convenience Panel, Visibility, Reflective & Blackout packages

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2021, 01:47:56 AM »
Sorry that I didn't include a picture of the air cleaner in the pictures I posted in the one (at this time) 68 S code example in the Unrestored Picture Thread that I assume you checked
Felt the fact that the engine and air cleaner had been repainted with a really bad Ford blue and the fact that the vacuum valve motor was also painted would be too distracting and possibly misleading . So here are two pictures from that car and one from another example. For me the heat shields (especially ones that are not rusty) was the most difficult since they are one year

Snorkel shape/Bend

Vacuum door

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline TonyH

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2021, 06:27:26 AM »
Tony,

Thanks, that was what I was afraid of....  now onto the hunt!

Good luck!

I do have an extra heat shield but it's not in good shape.  Not sure if you'd be able to do with it but they are really hard to find.

PM if interested.

v/r
Tony
Tony

Lime Gold GT Fastback

Offline duffman

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2021, 08:56:43 AM »
Tony,

Thanks!  I wont forget if I can get the rest first!

Offline duffman

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2021, 08:59:01 AM »
Jeff,

Thank you for the clarification.  I really appreciate the  site and great people on it!

Chris

Offline duffman

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2021, 09:18:22 AM »
Found these 2 on feebay, based on the replies here.
1. Is lid correct? Looks more domed than ones in pictures
2. Is this acceptable for a vacuum motor?

Chris

Offline TonyH

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2021, 10:42:52 AM »
Found these 2 on feebay, based on the replies here.
1. Is lid correct? Looks more domed than ones in pictures
2. Is this acceptable for a vacuum motor?

Chris

The vacuum motor is incorrect.  That one is for the 69 I believe and the door is shaped completely different.  The 68 is round like the attached photo.

v/r
Tony
Tony

Lime Gold GT Fastback

Offline duffman

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2021, 12:57:27 PM »
Tony,
Again thanks!  It hard with no references to follow.  Am I correct on the Air cleaner top being much too curved?

Chris

Offline TonyH

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2021, 10:17:37 PM »
Tony,
Again thanks!  It hard with no references to follow.  Am I correct on the Air cleaner top being much too curved?

Chris

I can?t tell, could just be the angle.  Lines look correct and the base looks correct.

v/r
Tony
Tony

Lime Gold GT Fastback

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2021, 05:15:17 PM »
1. Is lid correct? Looks more domed than ones in pictures...

Difficult to know without seeing in person from multiple angles but they have always looked rounder(taller in the center) than other versions like the 67 and 69 to me
Jeff Speegle

Offline tim_morrison82

• Click Here for My Project
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2021, 11:47:16 PM »
Noted. Cheers
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 08:23:27 PM by tim_morrison82 »
San Jose built (Mid Dec 67) Non GT J code Coupe.
Wimbledon White with Parchment Bench seat,
Visibility Group, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Selectaire Conditioner, AM radio, Heavy Duty suspension, Deluxe Belts, Deluxe Wheel Covers, 3.00:1 rear.

Unique 1 of 1 car. Just like every other car...

Offline TonyH

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2021, 06:04:54 AM »
I have just picked up a s code air cleaner with correct snorkel. The base has been modified though. I think that vacuum motor hole has been patched up. If you get that base and lid, I could sell you my snorkel.

Just out of curiosity, did the early 68 shorkel also have a vacuum motor? So 2x on the assembly? I know std ones had them removed in later production. The snorkel I have has a vacuum motor.

The 68 snorkel does not have a vacuum motor but does have a thermal actuator (for lack of better words) that operates the flapper.  That actuator is located inside the snorkel and opens the flapper fully when air coming off the exhaust manifold heats up.  I've included a couple bad pictures that show the flapper open and closed but that's all I have right now.  The brass button shown in the photo with the flapper open is the thermal actuator.  The 68 version does not have the external vacuum motor on the bottom of the snorkel like on allot of other cars for that period.

Should look like this one: https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/68gtsnorkel.html

Hope that helps.

v/r
Tony
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 06:15:20 AM by TonyH »
Tony

Lime Gold GT Fastback

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2021, 06:34:27 PM »
I have just picked up a s code air cleaner with correct snorkel. The base has been modified though. I think that vacuum motor hole has been patched up. If you get that base and lid, I could sell you my snorkel.

Tim, not picking on you directly just seeing an opportunity to bring something up to the membership. Often I send these reminders directly to members but thought this was a good time to post a public request. We fully understand that we want to help each other in the "hobby" but we ask that you refrain from responding with "I've got one of those for sale" "I'ld sell you one for $xxx" in the thread. This often becomes an issue especially when others jump in with others for sale or at a lower cost. Kind of turns it in to another Ebay :(

Instead send a PM and deal with buying/selling off thread. Of course this does not refer to those sections provided for the purpose of finding or selling parts.

Thank you all for your attention in this matter

Jeff Speegle